OGXbox.com

The next EEPROM Reader/Writer (picoPromSD)

dtomcat

Another update:)   

Got the coding done to make the txt file with the important bits decrypted...  and to have file names be the serial number (for those who will backup multiple xboxes in one go between PC visits).

**Names have been changed to protect the innocent

Output.png

Edited by Dtomcat18
  • Thanks 1

Code rewrite is complete.  It functions the same as last version… except:

1. Decrypts now and saves to text file

2. Saves with file name as Serial number.  If unable to get serial number … it will default to “eeprom.bin”

more features may be added after hardware is finalized.   

I am trying to decide 

a.  Make board minimal to keep costs down per board (would require a programmer)

b.  Have board complete with USB… cost of board may double

thoughts?  A or B?

• Like 1

You would only need USB to update to a newer firmware and to see serial output for debugging.  I will be adding a feature (before selling) that will output an error file so you wouldn’t need the serial output. (Unless the issue is with SD card… then obviously wouldn’t be able to write error file)

UPDATE:

completed coding the log section.  A bit more involved than I was expecting!  But now works.  So going back to the above...  A pc connection really isn't needed since any errors would be in the log.  only thing you'd see different would be in the SD initialization.  (seen in the bottom half of included image).  So I think I'm leaning on two boards...  One is the eeprom reader/writer... other is programmer.  essentially moving Micro B usb connector, 3.3v regulator, associated passive components, and Boot0 button off eeprom reader.  this would save money for the main board...  Thoughts?

Output.png

On 7/4/2023 at 12:39 PM, Dtomcat18 said:

Code rewrite is complete.  It functions the same as last version… except:

1. Decrypts now and saves to text file

2. Saves with file name as Serial number.  If unable to get serial number … it will default to “eeprom.bin”

more features may be added after hardware is finalized.   

I am trying to decide 

a.  Make board minimal to keep costs down per board (would require a programmer)

b.  Have board complete with USB… cost of board may double

thoughts?  A or B?

Programmers suck, although, you'd only have to do it once right? Then it would be good until its EOL, wouldn't it? Could you make the programmer work for future revisions? Hell of it only needs to be programmed once, you could do it before it's shipped. :)

For now I would go with B, but of it can be finagled...

1 hour ago, GoTeamScotch said:

Looks pretty cool! I can see this being a useful tool. Would love to have it in my toolbox. Nice work so far. 👍

Thank you.  I will probably make like 5-9 initially as a limited batch (special silkscreen)… then if demand is there, do a decent batch of regulars

• dtomcat changed the title to The next EEPROM Reader/Writer (picoPromSD)