OGXbox.com

The next EEPROM Reader/Writer (picoPromSD)

dtomcat

OK...  Just starting a separate thread for my next project.  I mentioned it in a different thread... but figured better to keep info in one place dedicated for this project.

It's a remake of my ArdPromSD project.  With the ArdProm... it was limited by program space.  I am remaking it with a different MCU to allow more program/variable space.  This gives me more room to add to the previous project.  One benefit of the remake is only applicable to rev1.6 MBs... will only power on when xbox is powered on instead of being on immediately when plugging in the board.

What I have so far (basically all of the ArdPromSD features):

• Read EEPROM and save to SD card (each read saves a different file name)
  • Read BIN file from SD and write it to EEPROM

Things left to do:

• Feedback (in form of LEDs like before)
  • Reset button
  • EEPROM data decrypting (hoping...   will save encrypted data in plain text.  This will also allow me to save the eeprom.bin as <serial number>.bin so if you can backup a few xbox's and know which eeprom backup is to which xbox)

Really hoping the last one will pan out...  I will try my hardest.   I plan on shrink the board a bit as well.  The downfall... some of the parts will be a handful to hand solder... so DIY'ers may have some trouble.  I do plan to open source it eventually :)  I'll post updates here when I have them.  Now that I have it working as stated above... I'll get to designing the PCB and ordering everything to try out.  I'm hoping to have prototype Hardware up and running within 2 months (china timeframe dependent).

Output.png

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dtomcat18 said:

OK...  Just starting a separate thread for my next project.  I mentioned it in a different thread... but figured better to keep info in one place dedicated for this project.

It's a remake of my ArdPromSD project.  With the ArdProm... it was limited by program space.  I am remaking it with a different MCU to allow more program/variable space.  This gives me more room to add to the previous project.  One benefit of the remake is only applicable to rev1.6 MBs... will only power on when xbox is powered on instead of being on immediately when plugging in the board.

What I have so far (basically all of the ArdPromSD features):

• Read EEPROM and save to SD card (each read saves a different file name)
  • Read BIN file from SD and write it to EEPROM

Things left to do:

• Feedback (in form of LEDs like before)
  • Reset button
  • EEPROM data decrypting (hoping...   will save encrypted data in plain text.  This will also allow me to save the eeprom.bin as <serial number>.bin so if you can backup a few xbox's and know which eeprom backup is to which xbox)

Really hoping the last one will pan out...  I will try my hardest.   I plan on shrink the board a bit as well.  The downfall... some of the parts will be a handful to hand solder... so DIY'ers may have some trouble.  I do plan to open source it eventually :)  I'll post updates here when I have them.  Now that I have it working as stated above... I'll get to designing the PCB and ordering everything to try out.  I'm hoping to have prototype Hardware up and running within 2 months (china timeframe dependent).

Output.png

Cool!

Why go through the work of shrinking it though? Is it even worth it for any reason? It's already pretty damn small. lol

Well... the MCU is kind of the part that would make it hard... and doesn't come any larger :)  If you can solder the MCU... then you can solder the rest of the components.  If not... the original ArdPromSD project would be your goto as it'll do the main function of EEPROM reading and writing.  This one will (hopefully) add the ability to decrypt your EEPROM data and save it in plain text.  Also toying with the idea of an optional addon... an E-Ink display to display your S/N, HDD key, and Online Key of last EEPROM read.  This will allow you to see some of the data right away and not have to keep the reading connected.  This will really only be helpful for those who do a lot of Xbox modding/repairs.  this would connect via a connector so that those who don't want that feature...don't have to buy it :)    Again... very early stages and details will probably change.     Here is a sneak peak... I'm 100% this will change before release... but just kind of putting somethings where they will probably be to get a look at how it's coming and if I see anything obviously wrong...    Meet PicoPromSD

eeprom.png

• Like 3

UPDATE:

Well... after a lot of midnight Oil... It Works!!!  so now just need to add all the code into one :)  looks like I'll finish the code before I finish the hardware... was expecting the opposite!  Here is my proof of concept on the decrypting...  Some things I don't quite understand yet (video standard, region... don't match the wiki... but not too important)  Hoping to have a nice way for those who mod for customers to be able to pop this in... and seconds later... be able to tell all you can before even firing up the xbox :) ... either way... here is the output of the POC 

POC.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Not sure.   I’ll have to look.  I’ll finished up the hardware and finalize and order.  Then circle  back to it :)

(Shiver) You just reminded me of Jen Psaki... Fuckin' YIKES.

Id like one of those... just for the hell of it. I've never backed up my EEPROM before, but it's never too late to start! I wish there were an IDE insert that could capture the HDDs Unlock code! :) lol. Now that would be handy.

11 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

I didn’t know the really where to get started coding.   And there weren’t any thing like it to get an idea 

So it could actually be possible? Interesting. I feel you though. How would you get a leg up on knowing how to read a section of a HDDs firmware? That's a bit obscure for somebody who is in a situation where they're starting from scratch and don't have source to help them. Maybe it can be done one day, although every HDDs key would have to be able to be read... That would probably be difficult.

TODO:
1. Merge all code into one code base
2. Finalize PCB
3. Build and test

But... Looking like this thing is going to work.    Of note... the E-ink display is out.  Was too much work for not a lot of value.

I may add more software features since I have the space. (like writing errors to a file so that you can see what is going on without having to connect to PC).

• dtomcat changed the title to The next EEPROM Reader/Writer (picoPromSD)