OGXbox.com

Does Iceberq 4 cool better than Stock heat sinks on a 1.1?

ChronicHedgehog

stock cooling is OK, no need to change. I recommend not to mess with cooling system, since GPU use thermal adhesive and CPU some sort of rubbery material also.

for ghost case, use thin oil for screws, regular grease works also, to avoid cracking plastic.

The heat sinks have been removed and pasted. The old thermal compound might have been fine cooling wise, but it generated lots of dry, hot air, which I found to be an irritant. A friend of mine who was big into Xbox says to stick with the stock heat sinks and removing the DVD + mount, + HDD mount will improve cooling.

3 minutes ago, ChronicHedgehog said:

The heat sinks have been removed and pasted. The old thermal compound might have been fine cooling wise, but it generated lots of dry, hot air, which I found to be an irritant. A friend of mine who was big into Xbox says to stick with the stock heat sinks and removing the DVD + mount, + HDD mount will improve cooling.

System fan cools whole system, in process cooling all components, air goes from all entry vents (sides, front bottom) and exits via system fan in the back. By installing custom fans, you localize cooling for two components only. GPU fan was later replace with bigger thermal mass heatsink, so you can mod GPU only.

By doing crazy mods, you cancel original cooling design.

15 hours ago, ChronicHedgehog said:

So you mate is a fluid engineer? (air is classed as a fluid)

He is correct about the stock heat sinks and even the stock fan works well when clean. But the HDD and DVD trays form part of the ducting for the cooling and running the Xbox with out them it will add around 15 to 20c on the CPU temps

I use a 3D printed shroud when testing the was designed by a member here to keep the temps down

PXL-20230519-220642411.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1