OGXbox.com

substituting original Xbox DVD drive with PC DVD drive?

Tartarus

51 minutes ago, trencherfield said:

Yes, the 8164b uses a windows based flash tool though opposed to the usual DOS based ones.

An 8163b is good, but requires the dos flash.

You might find the older 616T tosh drives, but they are old as well.

I have 3 616t drives... But no motherboard to flash them with. :(

• 6 months later...

Hi guys,

i've been reading this thread because i have an issue with my original Xbox dvd drive.

Basically it doesnt work and wont allow the xbox to boot past the splash screen and then gives error 07.

The green light just keep flashing and if i unplug the IDE cable the drive will open and close and spin but not with the IDE cable plugged in (i have tried replacement cables)

The console is modded and when i boot to the modchip it shows a pink EVOX in the top left corner of my screen but still wont boot past the splash screen and gives error 07.

Could i just use any IDE pc dvd drive to get the console to boot to the Evox dashboard?

if so how do i connect it because a normal dvd drive has a molex power connector and the xbox one has a yellow 10 cable connector?

Could i get a molex splitter and take a connection from the HDD? and would i still need the yellow dvd cable plugged in?

Once the xbox is booted to the dash i can ftp games etc across but i cant do anything with it at the minute as it wont boot.

The modchip is an aladdin V1.0 - v1.6 if that helps.

Also if this dvd swap does work is there anyway from the dash board to stop the dvd being needed to boot the system?

Thanks for any help in advance.

6 hours ago, ryan282 said:

Could i just use any IDE pc dvd drive to get the console to boot to the Evox dashboard?

Yes. With a chipped or TSOP'ed system, you can boot disks from an IDE drive. You'll need a molex power splitter and put the drive in SLAVE mode (Try CABLE SELECT second if SLAVE doesn't work).

47 minutes ago, Marty said:

Yes. With a chipped or TSOP'ed system, you can boot disks from an IDE drive. You'll need a molex power splitter and put the drive in SLAVE mode (Try CABLE SELECT second if SLAVE doesn't work).

Thanks for the quick response,

i've got a spare Hitachi-Lg data storage HLGCC-4481B that i can use to hopefully get it booted.

3 hours ago, ryan282 said:

i've got a spare Hitachi-Lg data storage HLGCC-4481B that i can use to hopefully get it booted.

It will boot burned disks and boot disks like Hexen's or OGXboxInstaller....it just won't work on retail disks.

4 hours ago, Marty said:

It will boot burned disks and boot disks like Hexen's or OGXboxInstaller....it just won't work on retail disks.

Yeah thats fine i've got Hexen.

what would i do with the yellow 10pin power cable for the original dvd drive,do i need to keep it plugged in to the motherboar dand the original drive for the xbox to think there's a stock dvd drive in there to boot up?

Or does it not matter because the new drive is plugged into the IDE cable?

Thanks for the advice.

1 hour ago, ryan282 said:

Yeah thats fine i've got Hexen.

what would i do with the yellow 10pin power cable for the original dvd drive,do i need to keep it plugged in to the motherboar dand the original drive for the xbox to think there's a stock dvd drive in there to boot up?

Or does it not matter because the new drive is plugged into the IDE cable?

Thanks for the advice.

Also, since you are not using the yellow cable at all, there is no way for the system to get any "Drive ready" signal after inserting a disc. In order for a disc to be read, you will have to insert it, restart, and then navigate to it or let it load automatically, depending on how your bios/dash is set up.

43 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Also, since you are not using the yellow cable at all, there is no way for the system to get any "Drive ready" signal after inserting a disc. In order for a disc to be read, you will have to insert it, restart, and then navigate to it or let it load automatically, depending on how your bios/dash is set up.

Thanks Bowlsnapper,

So to be clear,i need my original dvd drive plugged into the mother board via the yellow power cable as well as the new PC dvd drive via a molex splitter in order for the xbox to boot?

or can i just plug the new drive in and then boot the xbox with a disk already in the new drive and it should boot.

Im not going to be using the new drive to load copied games,all i want to do is load games off the hard drive that i can ftp across onto.I just need to be able to boot the xbox to a dashboard to use it.

42 minutes ago, ryan282 said:

Thanks Bowlsnapper,

So to be clear,i need my original dvd drive plugged into the mother board via the yellow power cable as well as the new PC dvd drive via a molex splitter in order for the xbox to boot?

or can i just plug the new drive in and then boot the xbox with a disk already in the new drive and it should boot.

Im not going to be using the new drive to load copied games,all i want to do is load games off the hard drive that i can ftp across onto.I just need to be able to boot the xbox to a dashboard to use it.

Flash Cerbios and then make sure the HDD Cerbios files are present on C (like cerbios.ini). The cerbios.ini should have legacy mode enabled by default which allows you to boot with no DVD-ROM drive. Keep your stock DVD drive just unplugged (as long as you are not going to use it). Your Xbox should just load the dashboard and boot normally.