OGXbox.com

ISO vs XISO

stroggaxis

Hello,

Been out of the xbox modding game for a while. Was checking out some posts here and there and I see people mentioning xiso files. I understand ISO and HDD ready games. But what exactly is xiso and is there any noticeable difference between that and iso games? Really all I want to do is transfer some of my backups via FTP to my modded console's HDD. Since the xiso files are much smaller, it seems to me that they might be the DVD rips of games without all the extra 'fluff' of making a 1-1 DVD image of a game. Would that be correct?

1 hour ago, stroggaxis said:

Since the xiso files are much smaller, it seems to me that they might be the DVD rips of games without all the extra 'fluff' of making a 1-1 DVD image of a game. Would that be correct?

Yes, an XISO disc image is an Xbox-specific game files only disc image. Also with the same dot iso filename but must smaller. It contains the ripped content from the XDVDFS (XDVD FileSystem) portion of a ReDump-style DVD disc image.

XDVDMulleter Beta 10.2 or Xbox Image Browser are used to rip the files from the XDVDFS portion of ReDump disc images (dot iso files - usually 6+GBs in size).

Qwix, Xbox-Tools, and other applications can be used to create XISO disc images from ripped content of ReDump-style disc image.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Yes, I often do that myself, using the aforementioned Qwix or C Xbox Tool. I then use DVD2Xbox to rip it to the HDD.

I've actually timed it and, depending on the size of the XISO file, I've burn a XISO to DVD and installed it to the HDD in almost the same time as it takes me to set up FTP. But that is only because I do not have my primary Xbox permanently networked.

I have to swap ethernet cables and change the Xbox's normal Static IP, which I use to transfer between Xboxes, to DHCP and that all takes time.

Only thing to be aware of are the Xbox DVD drive disc media compatibility issues: DVD-R is the only type proven to be universally compatible; DVD+R is often OK but when it comes to CD and DVD-RW types the compatibility does depend on the drive make and sometimes even the disc media manufacturer.

In short: stick to DVD-R.  

Edited by HDShadow