OGXbox.com

questions about temps

i have an og xbox with a temperature lcd display similar to the one in the pictures below. can someone tell me what temps i should be seeing while gaming as well as while sitting idle at the XBMC dash my xbox is tsop and before i take it apart to replace the paste i wanna check my temps to see if a paste replace is even necessary

s-l1200000.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

• Like 1

For me personally I usually remove the old thermal pads and replace with a good quality paste if my idle temps are running at or over 55-60 degrees Celsius. If yours is running idle at 68.1 Fahrenheit as the picture shows you’re probably sitting really well temp wise since that’s around 20 degrees Celsius. I’d test it under load for an hour or so just to make sure you stay within decent temps. Just based on my own preference if you start running at or over 131-140 degrees Fahrenheit  it would be worth applying thermal paste. Probably also be worthwhile to ensure your fan is functioning properly. 

Others may have different temp preferences but that’s mine. 

Edited by FrostyMaGee

Most of the time replacing the paste proves totally unnecessary.

68°F/20°C is fine, TBH more than fine, for XBMC which, IMHO, is the only dashboard that gives you consistently accurate temperature information.

So I would say don't worry about it even if it doubles or more under load - with a v1.6 and XBMC typically I get average reported temperatures of 45°C - 50°C for most of the year and that is with the fan sets at 10% speed on Auto with an aim temperature of 50°C

Currently the ambient temperature is 16°C/60°F in my kitchen where I have a Xbox with XBMC situated; after a quick 10mins gaming session the CPU and GPU temperatures are in the mid-thirties Centigrade with is about ninety-five degrees Fahrenheit.  

8 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

For me personally I usually remove the old thermal pads and replace with a good quality paste if my idle temps are running at or over 55-60 degrees Celsius. If yours is running idle at 68.1 Fahrenheit as the picture shows you’re probably sitting really well temp wise since that’s around 20 degrees Celsius. I’d test it under load for an hour or so just to make sure you stay within decent temps. Just based on my own preference if you start running at or over 131-140 degrees Fahrenheit  it would be worth applying thermal paste. Probably also be worthwhile to ensure your fan is functioning properly. 

Others may have different temp preferences but that’s mine. 

thats not my temp tho thats just a random pic i pulled off google i just need to know what my idel temps and gaming temps should be to help me decide if i need to repaste or not

The 'ideal' temperature is, in theory, as low as possible for any PC or games console.

Reported temperatures are a matter of question as I suggested in the previous post too and those can vary with Xbox version too. UnleashX and EvoX dashboard temperatures, particularly with v1.6 Xboxes are suspect but are still good for comparison purposes ie. if your normal temperatures suddenly increase without any obvious environmental cause then it is a matter of concern even if the actual figures are unreliable.

With any Xbox dashboard you shouldn't be worried if at default fan speed (20%) it reports CPU/GPU as high as 60°C/140°F as it might well do at the height of summer and a long gaming session in a room at 30°+C. You can always switch the fan speed up and, typically, that will reduce the temperatures by about five degree Centigrade with each 20% step. But a retail Xbox fan at 100% is not a quiet thing. :)

With XBMC I'd suggest you do what I do and that is set it to automatic temperature control with the aim temperature as 50°C/122°F and the lowest speed as 20%. In a temperate climate that will keep the fan speed at 20% for much of the year and, obviously, at or below the aim temperature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kaitlin459 said:

thats not my temp tho thats just a random pic i pulled off google i just need to know what my idel temps and gaming temps should be to help me decide if i need to repaste or not

As I said my personal preference is at or over 60C or 140F at anytime but especially under load. If it was popping over that I’d pull the thermal pads and either replace with the same or go with very good quality thermal paste. That’s just me though. If you’re under that and notice no performance issues then I’d leave well enough alone. Plus you could always kick up your fan speed incrementally and see how that goes. Even a 10 percent bump in speed from default can make a difference. 

Again, while I have my personal preference on max temps before I do stuff @HDShadow has some great advice above that you can easily heed and be good to go. Shadow and I have some times differed on whether doing thermal paste is worth it at all (once or twice maybe when the subject comes around lol) but I can say I 100 percent agree with his summation above.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PRince404 said:

Is there a way to check temperature while you're in game? Without having those LCD mods?

Wasn’t there a bios at one time (or maybe still) that had the ability to display current temps up in one of the corners of the screen whilst playing a game? Did I imagine that? Lol

20 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Wasn’t there a bios at one time (or maybe still) that had the ability to display current temps up in one of the corners of the screen whilst playing a game? Did I imagine that? Lol

Time to annoy Cerbios devs to include that now. Lol /s

• Haha 1

On 4/21/2024 at 5:38 AM, FrostyMaGee said:

Definitely a real thing I've seen in many youtube vids. I most recently saw an lcd temp display on the front of a console. A bit of an eye sore, but a very nice feature. 

Screenshot_20240422_095433_eBay.jpg

Edited by MadMartigan
  • Like 1