OGXbox.com

NOOB QUESTIONS

BleedFordBlue7

I have a 1.6, fully recapped and sporting an Aladdin XBlast (thanks snapper). I've done a lot of reading trying to figure out my setup and I think I've read too much, watched too many videos and confused myself.   I have downloaded to Dragon4Gamers 4tb torrent, and then used HDD Raw Copy to transfer it onto the 8tb hard drive i have for my xbox. Is that all I need to do for that part? Where I am getting confused now is getting cerbios going.  Do I use cerbios tool to do this? I tried playing with it before work this morning but I couldn't get it to load. I selected the folder I have for cerbios but it wouldn't let me do anything in the tool with it.   Can anyone walk me through my next steps to get this going? Sorry for the NOOB questions, I'm trying to learn.   

Good question, and you are correct, but you need to have cerbios bios flashed to your chip that supports such partitions.

XBlast is a tool for flashing bios images, but you must match bios size for your mod chip. 256kb bios to 256kb mod chip.

Cerbios tool is for costuming bios image in windows environment.

https://github.com/Team-Resurgent/CerbiosTool

Edited by prtscn

1 hour ago, prtscn said:

Good question, and you are correct, but you need to have cerbios bios flashed to your chip that supports such partitions.

XBlast is a tool for flashing bios images, but you must match bios size for your mod chip. 256kb bios to 256kb mod chip.

If it’s an Xblast from @Bowlsnapper it has a 256 and a 512 bank if I’m not mistaken. Correct me if I’m wrong though, Bowl. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BleedFordBlue7 said:

I have a 1.6, fully recapped and sporting an Aladdin XBlast (thanks snapper). I've done a lot of reading trying to figure out my setup and I think I've read too much, watched too many videos and confused myself.   I have downloaded to Dragon4Gamers 4tb torrent, and then used HDD Raw Copy to transfer it onto the 8tb hard drive i have for my xbox. Is that all I need to do for that part? Where I am getting confused now is getting cerbios going.  Do I use cerbios tool to do this? I tried playing with it before work this morning but I couldn't get it to load. I selected the folder I have for cerbios but it wouldn't let me do anything in the tool with it.   Can anyone walk me through my next steps to get this going? Sorry for the NOOB questions, I'm trying to learn.   

3 hours ago, Marty said:

Is your modchip flashed with Cerbios?

3 hours ago, prtscn said:

It should have XBlast and a copy of Cerbios on the main 256 bank ready with fastboot. It should only need the press of a power button... Try loading the 256 bank manually with XBlast in the very first menu. The banks are listed on the bottom when XBlast first loads. Fast boot (immediately booting a certain bank when booting with power, in this instance) should be in XBlast settings. The chips I've tested have had Cerbios in the 256... however if all you can do is boot XBLast for some reason, flash Cerbios with XBlast. Are you saying that you are trying to flash, but nothing is happening? I'm a bit unclear. You said the "tool" wouldn't let you do anything. Could you elaborate just a bit for us? I wanna make sure you get this going. :)

20 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

It should have XBlast and a copy of Cerbios on the main 256 bank ready with fastboot. It should only need the press of a power button... Try loading the 256 bank manually with XBlast in the very first menu. The banks are listed on the bottom when XBlast first loads. Fast boot (immediately booting a certain bank when booting with power, in this instance) should be in XBlast settings. The chips I've tested have had Cerbios in the 256... however if all you can do is boot XBLast for some reason, flash Cerbios with XBlast. Are you saying that you are trying to flash, but nothing is happening? I'm a bit unclear. You said the "tool" wouldn't let you do anything. Could you elaborate just a bit for us? I wanna make sure you get this going. :)

I figured you would know best since I thought it was one of yours. Hence the tag earlier. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrostyMaGee said:

I figured you would know best since I thought it was one of yours. Hence the tag earlier. :) 

Yeah it was. His reports make me feel like I haven't tested enough and maybe that Cerbios isn't on the 256... But I KNOW it is. It should be part of the 1mb image I flash. I think it's an older version of Cerbios, but it should still fastboot with the power button. 

In any event, if it's NOT there, XBlast is and he should be able to flash no problem.

• Like 1

I haven’t actually turned it on and tried that.  I didn’t realize I could do it that way.  In a modzville video I watched he had loaded his bios over to the hard drive as a file and I thought I had to do it that way.  I have finished all my soldering and was trying to finish up the hard drive to get everything done.  Is it best to flash the chip with the original hard drive in and then swap hard drives, or can I put it all together and do everything? 

As for cerbios tool it just doesn’t let me load the file.  I select load, select my file but then it does nothing.  Won’t let me edit colors or screens or anything.  

18 hours ago, BleedFordBlue7 said:

I haven’t actually turned it on and tried that.  I didn’t realize I could do it that way.  In a modzville video I watched he had loaded his bios over to the hard drive as a file and I thought I had to do it that way.  I have finished all my soldering and was trying to finish up the hard drive to get everything done.  Is it best to flash the chip with the original hard drive in and then swap hard drives, or can I put it all together and do everything? 

As for cerbios tool it just doesn’t let me load the file.  I select load, select my file but then it does nothing.  Won’t let me edit colors or screens or anything.  

I think you can flash with disc and through LAN as well. 

... What do you mean when you say Cerbios tool? Are you talking about the windows application that lets you adjust the splash screen colors and little bios settings and modify the bin file?

All I would do if you're using a SATA drive with a StarTech is use the Cerbios tool in windows to create a BIOS file out of 2.3.1 that uses UDMA 6 since that is the fastest available option for your hard drive. If you were using IDE then just use regular Cerbios 2.3.1.. If you are using SATA but have a cheapo adapter instead of a startech, use UDMA 4. Other than that, I've never used the windows application for anything else. But you do not use this to flash the chip.

First of all, try to boot into Cerbios on the chip just booting with the power button. If that doesn't work, I'll walk you through flashing the bios with XBlast. Although Cerbios should already be on the chip and you should just be able to boot it by pressing the power button. Let me know if this does not work.

32 minutes ago, BleedFordBlue7 said:

Is it best to flash the chip with the original hard drive in and then swap hard drives, or can I put it all together and do everything? 

You shouldn't have to do anything.

If you installed the chip correctly, it should boot up Cerbios (which I assume Snapper shipped with the chip) when you press the power button.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BleedFordBlue7 said:

Hi there, me again.  I have everything assembled and started up.  I’m stuck on the blast OS screen.   I see 512, 256 and setting across the bottom.  If I click on either bank the Xbox restarts back to the same screen.    Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

... Every chip I've tested has had Cerbios on the 256, for some reason yours does not.

You are fine. Just flash Cerbios to the 256. 

Before you do, what SATA adapter are you using? If it's a generic SATA adapter, then use UDMA-4 Cerbios. Startech, UDMA-6. IDE, UDMA-2.

Cerbios pack. UDMA 2-5

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mLG7-wDvXTxwU29e0et2StN7F1pVef1s?usp=sharing

Cerbios UDMA06

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Acg0EjnwAJUiatkRm7qSO3wRQYj_bY9X/view?usp=sharing

3 hours ago, BleedFordBlue7 said:

it does say Cerbios under the 512 and 256 but it just restarts.   What do i do with the bin files once I download them?

... It should not be restarting if you're booting a bank that says Cerbios... I've seen this kind of thing happen when D0 becomes disconnected after booting...

How do you have d0 hooked up? Did you mess with BT at all?

Use UDMA 6 and flash it to the 256. Then enable fastboot in xblast's settings and have the 256 boot with the power button.

14 minutes ago, BleedFordBlue7 said:

D0 is grounded on the motherboard, No i did not mess with BT

Okay. I am currently at a loss as to why your console would be restarting if booting Cerbios from the chip. Do a flash and then try again. I have no idea which is at fault, the chip or the console at this point. If we can't get it resolved I'll send you an openXenium for Christmas. :)

1 hour ago, BleedFordBlue7 said:

That seems to have worked! It’s now up and running, thank you so much for the suggestions!      One thing I noticed right away, when I try to play Arctic Thunder the picture is messed up.   Is there anyway to fix that?   It’s the only game doing that so far but it’s the one I wanted the most. 

Did you use the UDMA 6 version of Cerbios? It's what you should use with a Startech, since you can :)  I'm VERY glad you got it working! I will look into Arctic Thunder for you.