OGXbox.com

Dirty/Damaged Disc Errors when loading from HDD?

ka5ug4

I've started to list the game's I've gotten this error with, alongside what method I was using to store them on my HDD Some would outright lock up the whole system. Any idea how I could fix this?

If it matters, I'm using Cerbios 2.3.1 UDMA5 on a 1.0 System with a 2TB HDD, obviously with a SATA2IDE adapter.

007 - Everything or Nothing (US, Folder, Stuck on black screen)
Psyvarier 2 - Extend Edition (JP, Folder (same results with CCI), Dirty/Damaged Disc)
Guilty Gear X2 Reload (US, Folder, Dirty/Damaged Disc)
Alien Hominid (EU, Folder, Stuck on a loading screen)
Burnout 3 - Takedown (US, Folder, Stuck on a loading screen)
Dead Man's Hand (US, Folder, Stuck on a loading screen)
Doom 3 (US, Folder, Crashes on start screen)
Doom 3 - Resurrection of Evil (US, Folder, Crashes on start screen)

4 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Out of curiosity have you checked your partitions in xbpartitioner to make sure nothing has an ER next to it and the cluster size is correct?

I actually haven't, will do. What cluster size would be correct?

5 minutes ago, ka5ug4 said:

I actually haven't, will do. What cluster size would be correct?

Depends on the size. See below. 

64 GB (with 4 KB clusters)
128 GB (with 8 KB clusters)
256 GB (with 16 KB clusters)
512 GB (with 32 KB clusters)
1 TB (with 64 KB clusters)

2 TB (with 128 KB clusters) 4 TB (with 256 KB clusters) 8 TB (with 512 KB clusters) 16 TB (with 1 MB clusters)

It would be interesting to know if any partitions have an ER next to them though. I’ve seen weird stuff happen loading games from a hdd partition with errors. Haven’t seen the dirty disc error but black screens and crashes I have. Anyway, that’s just my first thought in easy things to check. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Just checked (XBpartitioner 1.3 - LBA48 patch v4) and all seems well (no ER's to be found):

EXTENDED PARTITIONS
6 start 00ee8ab0 size 73f8ff00 64  927.78 GB
7 start 74e789b0 size 73f8ff00 64  927.78 GB
Edited by ka5ug4

42 minutes ago, ka5ug4 said:

Just checked (XBpartitioner 1.3 - LBA48 patch v4) and all seems well (no ER's to be found):

EXTENDED PARTITIONS

Well that’s good at least. Have you tried clearing the cache on your Xbox? Also have you tried an xiso from another source? Possible the ones you have are damaged or corrupt. 

Edit: Another thought is maybe an issue with the sata adapter itself or the 80 wire 40 pin ide cable replacement. 

Edited by FrostyMaGee
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ka5ug4 said:

EXTENDED PARTITIONS

For the hell of it, could you try ripping the game from an ISO (Mulleter) and running it on a different HDD? Clean files. Same dash setup. Nothing from the current drive. If it works, THEN copy the game files from the old/main HDD for a problem game and run that file set on teh new HDD, sourced from the old.../main. You know what I mean. lol. Wanna see if it's corruption. That's my idea, anyway.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Well that’s good at least. Have you tried clearing the cache on your Xbox? Also have you tried an xiso from another source? Possible the ones you have are damaged or corrupt. 

Edit: Another thought is maybe an issue with the sata adapter itself or the 80 wire 40 pin ide cable replacement. 

1. I've never tried to clear the cache, how would I go about doing that?
  2. I've been using Redump isos from Myrient run through XDVDMulleter. I'll try out Vimm's Lair (iirc, those are xisos.)
  3. I'm 99% sure I'm using a Delock SATA2IDE with the Marvell 88SA8052 chipset, although with the green PCB it looks more like a DealExtreme RXB-639B adapter (or any of the other super cheap generic adapters, in all honesty ╮( ̄ω ̄;)╭ ) I think I have a working StarTech IDE2SAT2 lying around, will test.
10 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

For the hell of it, could you try ripping the game from an ISO (Mulleter) and running it on a different HDD? Clean files. Same dash setup. Nothing from the current drive. If it works, THEN copy the game files from the old/main HDD for a problem game and run that file set on teh new HDD, sourced from the old.../main. You know what I mean. lol. Wanna see if it's corruption. That's my idea, anyway.

I have an ancient zero-filled HDD from 2006, will do a check in a bit.

Edited by ka5ug4
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ka5ug4 said:
  1. I've never tried to clear the cache, how would I go about doing that?
  2. I've been using Redump isos from Myrient run through XDVDMulleter. I'll try out Vimm's Lair (iirc, those are xisos.)
  3. I'm 99% sure I'm using a Delock SATA2IDE with the Marvell 88SA8052 chipset, although with the green PCB it looks more like a DealExtreme RXB-639B adapter (or any of the other super cheap generic adapters, in all honesty ╮( ̄ω ̄;)╭ ) I think I have a working StarTech IDE2SAT2 lying around, will test.

I have an ancient zero-filled HDD from 2006, will do a check in a bit.

There’s usually a clear cache option in the mods somewhere. Alternatively I think you can delete files on the X, Y, and Z partitions to clear it out (I’d probably make a backup first) but I’d need to confirm that. 

I’m leaning towards bad/corrupted ISOs though or as @MadMartigan said bad file transfers could be the culprit. Hopefully you new image tests will produce better results and we will know more from there. If it still has issues with xisos from vimm then I’d definitely swap out the sata adapter and see if that solves the issue. Failing that I’d definitely try @Bowlsnapper idea about a clean hdd install with one of the vimm game images for a test. Any and all will at least get us a step closer to figuring out what’s up. 

Definitely let us know how it goes. I’m sure we can get it figured out. :D 

Edited by FrostyMaGee
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

I’ll put my money on bad file transfers. What method was used to get them on the Xbox and where did you get the games from? 

I got the games from Myriant (full Redump isos) which I then converted to folder via XDVDMulleter. I then copied the aforementioned folders onto my HDD with FATXplorer.

16 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

There’s usually a clear cache option in the mods somewhere. Alternatively I think you can delete files on the X, Y, and Z partitions to clear it out (I’d probably make a backup first) but I’d need to confirm that. 

I’m leaning towards bad/corrupted ISOs though or as @MadMartigan said bad file transfers could be the culprit. Hopefully you new image tests will produce better results and we will know more from there. If it still has issues with xisos from vimm then I’d definitely swap out the sata adapter and see if that solves the issue. Failing that I’d definitely try @Bowlsnapper idea about a clean hdd install with one of the vimm game images for a test. Any and all will at least get us a step closer to figuring out what’s up. 

Definitely let us know how it goes. I’m sure we can get it figured out. :D 

Will do! ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

4 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

From my past experience, it was always a bad download or transfer that caused that issue. Have you tried just the normal .iso files or converting them into .cci using Repackinator? Those would seem to be the easier trials to run first. 

I only tried one (Psyvarier 2) in CCI and got the same results. How would I run a normal iso/xiso?

You can use the XISO to HDD script within XBMC. 

If you’re getting the same result through different conversion methods, then I would assume it has to be a bad download. I’d then try downloading those specific games again, one at a time if you didn’t do that originally. That way you can test each game as you go and you’re not wasting time. 

Edit: I just found this thread you can read up on. 

Edited by MadMartigan

I swapped to a StarTech adapter, and had no difference, ruling that one out. For cache, X and Y had literally nothing, although I did delete the single folder in Z. Also did nothing ( ̄︿ ̄). I then re-converted it to a folder with XDVDMulleter, this time using an xiso from Vimm's, and still no dice.
For what its worth, I am using one of those new SMR drives. Could that be the source of the problem?

15 minutes ago, ka5ug4 said:

I swapped to a StarTech adapter, and had no difference, ruling that one out. For cache, X and Y had literally nothing, although I did delete the single folder in Z. Also did nothing ( ̄︿ ̄). I then re-converted it to a folder with XDVDMulleter, this time using an xiso from Vimm's, and still no dice.
For what its worth, I am using one of those new SMR drives. Could that be the source of the problem?

It’s possible since CMR tends to be better for gaming, etc. Never actually used an smr drive in an og Xbox before though. I’d try the other hdd you mentioned the way Bowl suggested with a game and see if the problem persists. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

It’s possible since CMR tends to be better for gaming, etc. Never actually used an smr drive in an og Xbox before though. I’d try the other hdd you mentioned the way Bowl suggested with a game and see if the problem persists. 

Yeah, try the other HDD. At this point, it looks like just trying to run ANYTHING from it would be a sufficient test as new files do not seem to wanna run on the current HDD.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ka5ug4 said:

I then re-converted it to a folder with XDVDMulleter, this time using an xiso from Vimm's, and still no dice.

You did not mention that you downloaded the games again. If you’re continuing to convert bad files, it won’t fix itself. 

2 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

You did not mention that you downloaded the games again. If you’re continuing to convert bad files, it won’t fix itself. 

My initial tries were with Redump isos from Myrient. My second try was with an xiso I got from Vimm's, which I downloaded specifically for troubleshooting. The only other (reputable) site would be archive.org's Redump files (although they should be identical to the Myrient ones, but who knows? ( ̄  ̄|||) )

11 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Yeah, try the other HDD. At this point, it looks like just trying to run ANYTHING from it would be a sufficient test as new files do not seem to wanna run on the current HDD.

Forgot to mention that part. o(>< )o Its only a handful of games giving me issues, the vast majority work perfectly fine (to my knowledge.) For example: Prince of Persia - The Sands of Time crashes on start, while Halo 1/2 are perfectly fine. I will try out the spare HDD soon as hope all goes well.

6 minutes ago, ka5ug4 said:

My initial tries were with Redump isos from Myrient. My second try was with an xiso I got from Vimm's, which I downloaded specifically for troubleshooting. The only other (reputable) site would be archive.org's Redump files (although they should be identical to the Myrient ones, but who knows? ( ̄  ̄|||) )

Forgot to mention that part. o(>< )o Its only a handful of games giving me issues, the vast majority work perfectly fine (to my knowledge.) For example: Prince of Persia - The Sands of Time crashes on start, while Halo 1/2 are perfectly fine. I will try out the spare HDD soon as hope all goes well.

It's worth a shot. I forgot to focus on the fact that this is only with a few actual games.

Back to the HDD thing, what happens if you mirror your dash configuration on the other HDD and load a problem game in folder format?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ka5ug4 said:

Just for good measure I tried 007 everything or nothing, sands of time, doom 3 (both), dead man’s hand, and burnout 3 from vimms on an Xbox with a 2Tb western digital blue (CMR), startech adapter, and 80 wire 40 pin ide cable. All worked as they should with no crashes and I was able to play them 15 mins or so each with no issues before I moved on to the next game. I was using rocky5’s attacher and xiso files on most but burnout 3 and sands of time were both unpacked xisos. 

So the images from vimms are good. There’s something else in play for sure like the aforementioned data corruption in download to pc/upload to Xbox or the smr hdd. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it performs on the old hdd you have and we can go from there. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:
On 3/29/2024 at 10:43 PM, MadMartigan said:

You can use the XISO to HDD script within XBMC. 

Just for good measure I tried 007 everything or nothing, sands of time, doom 3 (both), dead man’s hand, and burnout 3 from vimms on an Xbox with a 2Tb western digital blue (CMR), startech adapter, and 80 wire 40 pin ide cable. All worked as they should with no crashes and I was able to play them 15 mins or so each with no issues before I moved on to the next game. I was using rocky5’s attacher and xiso files on most but burnout 3 and sands of time were both unpacked xisos. 

Just realized I should've mentioned: I'm using UIX Lite, so the aforementioned XISO tools I don't have on hand (¬_¬;)

I decided to throw the folders onto the 60GB, and still no cigar for Guilty Gear (folders off Vimm's xiso) (」><)」

Edited by ka5ug4

Was that the only game you tried or was there some progress made with the others on a different drive? As much detail as you can possibly provide will help figure out what’s going on. 

Edit: Been so occupied with my own issues I completely overlooked the fact that you’ve got these all in different folders. I’ve never tested that myself so I have no idea how the pathing it set up. Even still, the fact that most games are working, now makes wonder if the problematic games could potentially be mislabeled. Now I could be reading way too far into it lol

Edited by MadMartigan

2 hours ago, ka5ug4 said:

Just realized I should've mentioned: I'm using UIX Lite, so the aforementioned XISO tools I don't have on hand (¬_¬;)

I decided to throw the folders onto the 60GB, and still no cigar for Guilty Gear (folders off Vimm's xiso) (」><)」

Now that is weird. Okay. So run an installation disc with the 60GB, use a common dash and try playing the games in a typical structure: F:/Games/(Whatever Game Folder)/. Use NOTHING from the problem setup. Unless you have done that here. In which case... I'm at a loss.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Now that is weird. Okay. So run an installation disc with the 60GB, use a common dash and try playing the games in a typical structure: F:/Games/(Whatever Game Folder)/. Use NOTHING from the problem setup. Unless you have done that here. In which case... I'm at a loss.

Agreed. Oh and for the record in my tests of some of the games he’s having issues with I was using just standard unleash that comes with Rocky5’s softmod. It all worked for me on multiple systems as I checked a few others that were sitting around this evening. 

• Like 2