OGXbox.com

Running Insignia with Unleash X troubleshooting

Aero_105

I can only join Insignia online after I run the MS Dashboard network troubleshooter and IGR back to Unleash X and launch a game to play online.  My configuration is the same for both MS network and Unleash X network settings.  I wish to keep Unleash X if possible and in worst case scenario keep doing what works.  I am running another router as a wireless bridge client.  What is Auto-Detect under network settings in Unleash X?  How can I get Insignia to work without running MS Dashboard network troubleshooter every time?

Enable               Yes

Type                  Static

IP Address        192.168.2.4

Subnet mask     255.255.255.0

Gateway             192.168.2.1

DNS 1                  46.101.64.175

DNS 2                  8.8.8.8

Auto-Detect        Yes

I've never actually played a game through Insignia yet, just registered, but I notice that UX resets my DNS settings in the MS Dash back to Auto, instead of Manual. A simple switch back to Manual allows a connection again.

I can't find the link that said it, but XBMC doesn't have this issue if you set its network settings to Default (Dashboard). I'm not sure what to recommend for UX. 

You can modify UX's config to connect to Insignias RSS feed, though. It's pretty handy, it displays who's playing what game, and upcoming events.

21 minutes ago, NokSueCow said:

I've never actually played a game through Insignia yet, just registered, but I notice that UX resets my DNS settings in the MS Dash back to Auto, instead of Manual. A simple switch back to Manual allows a connection again.

All I have to do is run the network troubleshooter and it corrects the problem.  I never had to switch the DNS settings.

That's what it's probably doing, switching back to Manual. I've seen countless posts on reddit about this issue. Instead of running the troubleshooter next time, go into the MS Dash network settings, and I'll bet it keeps going back to Auto. Select it to switch back to Manual and rerun the Connection Test.

Edited by NokSueCow

I agree that Unleash is probably resetting your settings. FWIW, I use XBMC4XBOX and just set it to "default" which is looking to the MS dashboard for network settings and never changes them. If you are able and willing, look into it. It's a old dash, but it's awesome and does everything you really need a dash to do. :)

47 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

XBMC4XBOX and just set it to "default"

I did run XBMC as an app and it did not connect to insignia.  If I use slayers 2.7 disk and change from Unleash X to XBMC default dashboard will it screw up my lba48 partition table?  Will I have to backup C, E and F drives then run slayers 2.7 disk change default dashboard then run xb partitioner if the table cluster size is abnormal then move all the backup files back in place?  That is why I am reluctant to try XBMC.  Maybe their is a Unleash X file that could be edited.

3 hours ago, Aero_105 said:

I did run XBMC as an app and it did not connect to insignia.  If I use slayers 2.7 disk and change from Unleash X to XBMC default dashboard will it screw up my lba48 partition table?  Will I have to backup C, E and F drives then run slayers 2.7 disk change default dashboard then run xb partitioner if the table cluster size is abnormal then move all the backup files back in place?  That is why I am reluctant to try XBMC.  Maybe their is a Unleash X file that could be edited.

I'm talking about booting into it as a main dashboard. It's what I boot into at startup and I boot games directly from it. It keeps me from having to deal with my settings being reset after I configure them in the MS dash. I set the XBMC network settings to "Default" which is intended to use MS dash settings and keeps them from being both overridden and overwritten. I set up settings in the MS Dash, then IGR back into XBMC and launch the game. Or if there is nothing to fix or modify, I just boot up into XBMC immediately at boot, and launch Halo 2. No issues. I'm in Live/Insignia from power up within 90 seconds. That's why I'm suggesting to use it as your main dash. Unleash seems to cause lots of issues for people, even when they put some serious time into trial and error editing their settings.

I know the topic suggests you would like to do so with UnleashX since that seems to be the dash that you're accustomed to, so I should state that it is merely a suggestion. It MAY be worth looking into if you would like to try it. :)

I ended up copying the XBMC folder that is used as an app into the C drive then using Rocky5's dashloader from Xbox-Softmodding-Tool pointed the custom dash to the proper .xbe file.  The dvd drive no longer works as I would of used the slayer 2.7 installer disc to change the default dashboard.  I did however backed everything up using fatxplorer just incase I could not ftp into the xbox.  Hopefully I can still ftp and use insignia I will find out in a day or two that is usually when the xbox resets itself.

• Like 1

The xbox still resets itself even though it doesn't show in the MS dashboard network settings sometimes the DNS 2 shows 0.0.0.0 even though I put 8.8.8.8.  The xbox dvd drive started to work again it only works for cd-r not dvd's.  I used AID 4 installer disk which reformatted the C drive and installed XBMC I'll have to see in a day or two again if it resets itself.  I unplug my xbox when not using it, maybe the network settings are stored on memory.  I have a laptop connected to the wireless bridged router and have DNS 192.168.2.1 which is the main router connected directly to the internet.  If I don't have DNS set to 192.168.2.1 my laptop cannot connect to the internet.  The laptop and xbox are connected with a ethernet cable to the wireless bridge client router.

Problem solved!  I got help from the support forum on Insignia's discord.  The problem was due to the clock time and day being off as I have the clock capacitor removed.  Insignia live requires the correct time and day so when the console was unplugged for the night it would not work the following day.  So by manually setting the clock Insignia live worked without having to run MS dashboard network connect.  Unleash X works just as well as XBMC.  I end up going back to Unleash X as that is what I am familiar with.  There's more information on setting the configuration for Insignia on the support forum called: Insignia Network | Homebrew Dashboard | DNS troubleshooting (read first post).@Bowlsnapper @NokSueCow

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aero_105 said:

Problem solved!  I got help from the support forum on Insignia's discord.  The problem was due to the clock time and day being off as I have the clock capacitor removed.  Insignia live requires the correct time and day so when the console was unplugged for the night it would not work the following day.  So by manually setting the clock Insignia live worked without having to run MS dashboard network connect.  Unleash X works just as well as XBMC.  I end up going back to Unleash X as that is what I am familiar with.  There's more information on setting the configuration for Insignia on the support forum called: Insignia Network | Homebrew Dashboard | DNS troubleshooting (read first post).@Bowlsnapper @NokSueCow

Are you cutting power from the mains? I was under the impression that that was the only way to lose time without the clock cap as it's supposed to power the clock circuit if mains power gets interrupted. Maybe it was just never set following the last power interruption. Has it been keeping the time at every boot now? I would get a Nichicon capacitor and put it in there, as those are pretty decent caps and may be more resistant to the same issues that those older cheap-ass caps fell victim to. Or if you want to avoid that, try connecting the console to the internet. Cerbios allows for syncing of the clock through internet, assuming UnleashX supports it also. I know that XBMC does, so I would be surprised if unleash didn't.

29 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Or if you want to avoid that, try connecting the console to the internet. Cerbios allows for syncing of the clock through internet, assuming UnleashX supports it also. I know that XBMC does, so I would be surprised if unleash didn't.

I just updated Unleash X to V 0.39... my previous version did not support syncing clock through the internet.  Under settings time and date I set the SNTP address of my location.  Now time is set automatically.  I unplug the xbox after use as it could be a fire hazard if left unattended as it is old electronics.

Just now, Aero_105 said:

I just updated Unleash X to V 0.39... my previous version did not support syncing clock through the internet.  Under settings time and date I set the SNTP address of my location.  Now time is set automatically.  I unplug the xbox after use as it could be a fire hazard if left unattended as it is old electronics.

AHHH. That's why the time was resetting... It's not a fire hazard, man! 😛 Better safe than sorry though, as long as you don't mind unplugging and plugging it back in. I'm glad you were able to set the time through internet and get the issue fully resolved.