OGXbox.com

Long loading times

Hi all,

I've just today re-formatted a 4TB drive (this is different to the 2TB drive I was using previously which also had the same issue) with 512kb cluster size using Hazeno's images on a new 80 wire IDE cable and Startech Adapter. I'm TSOP modded with Cerbios 2.3.2 UDMA6. From what I can gather, I should be getting pretty decent speeds with this configuration.

However, some games seem to take forever to load compared to some benchmarks I'm seeing.

Take this for example https://www.retrorgb.com/og-xbox-storage-upgrade-shootout.html

Half Life 2 worst case on there is 51 seconds. If I delete the save file to replicate an initial load, it takes minutes for me.

Halo takes nearly 40 seconds as opposed to worst case 27.

Is it purely that I have a lot of games (just over 1000) on the drive? It's a barebones install of a fully updated XBMC4GAMERS with only the artwork installer installed and I'm kinda stuck as to think what else to try or whether I'm just expecting too much?

Edited by cobhc

According to Hazenos Cerbios Guide, 2-4TB should be 256, not 512 clusters. My 3TB has 256 and feels like a normal xbox. I'm on UDMA 5 on a 7200rpm HGST CMR drive. Harcroft said in discord to not even attempt UDMA6 unless I was on an ssd, so I stopped there. What does UnleashX say in your Storage settings, Ultra DMA Mode xx? HDD or SSD?

Edited by NokSueCow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So it acknowledges UDMA 6, as UDMA 5 would say Mode 32. My Halo CE load time is 25 seconds without trainers.

It's confusing, yes. I really don't know which one is more reliable. I just watched Modzville in his video and went with what he said.

Is your hdd+dvd option in your bios set correct? I have mine set to 0, for dvd+hdd. Maybe its something to do with accessing your dvd during loads?

Edited by NokSueCow
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I tried changing the dvd mode just now and it made no difference.

I guess I'll try again with 256kb clusters instead. How many games do you have on your drive?

Edited by cobhc

That's the same pack I started with, then deleted the duplicates. And I don't bother with emulators, so I would have even more space left than you do.

I'll try 256kb clusters now, and if it's still not better then I guess I need a new harddrive lol

Okay, both HDD's were bad.

I also did lots of testing and still can't get loading times like you. That Halo load time of 25 seconds is with the save file deleted from the OG Xbox Dash, a new game started and timed until you can hear the cutscene?

I've been testing with a brand new SSD i was saving for something else on UDMA6 with the dvd drive disconnected and in Modern mode in the Cerbios ini which should be really fast and it still takes me 37 seconds to load in the way mentioned above.

I've tried UDMA 5 and 6 bios, cable select and master on the Startech adapter, etc.

I'm running out of ideas.

2.3.2 was the latest, so I picked it. No other reason. My 25 second time is from dash to main menu, sorry for the confusion. I was going to test Main Menu to in-game times, but like you said, it loads instantly once you load a save. I didn't feel like deleting files just to test, when I had other results to compare against.

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2024 at 4:37 PM, NokSueCow said:

5:08 to load to menu from dash. 1:30 from menu to where you can walk around on train, after the guy says wake up. I didn't skip any dialogue, I let them all play.

I'm pretty close to these numbers now with an old laptop HDD, so I don't think I have an issue after all. Thank you for testing and helping me to compare!

I loved the extra speed when I was testing with the SSD, so I've ordered a 2TB SSD. The 8TB SSD I was testing with is way overkill for the CCI set and I'm not interested in emulators, etc. so the 2TB SSD will be perfect.

8 hours ago, cobhc said:

I think XBPartitioner let's you check from what I can see online, but I haven't used it myself.

It does. Xbpartitioner will show you cluster size, state, etc of each partition as well as allow you to do other things should you wish. Very useful tool when you need it.