OGXbox.com

Xecuter3 CE Bad Flash Fragging

dmuney

Hi all,

I have a 1.3 xbox, with an Xecuter3 CE installed solderless.  I was flashing via FTP, and was able to flash successfully, BUT, I am an idiot and flashed over bank 1 of the 256mb bios so I think I overwrote the x3 default bios. My issue is that my chip does not have the power control board installed, so I cannot use the power+eject button trick to get to the bios recovery screen.

Some hopefully helpful pieces of information:

1. After I flashed the cerbios in bank 1 of 256, I was able to reboot to dash from the x3 menu.  The cerbios animation displayed, and my evox dash booted with no issue. I then powered off.  When I hit power again, it started fragging

2. I did not copy the cerbios.ini to the root of the C drive, which may be part of the issue I am facing, as it does not know to point to the evoxdash

3. When I boot with bank 1 of the 256k bios, the console still frags immediately

4. I also installed a different bios Evox8 in bank 5 of the 256, but I cannot get it to boot from that bios (on, off, on, on for the switch positions). Just constant fragging

5. When I boot with the banks that I have flashed bios to (1 and 5 256) the first boot takes a second before failing, while any other bank setting is nearly instant.

I was wondering if I have any options to get to a safe mode where I can flash the bios without the power control board? Any disk drive options, or switch settings I could use I would happily buy that piece for the chip but it is basically unobtanium at this point as I am sure most people on this sub are aware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by dmuney

5 hours ago, dmuney said:

Hi all,

I have a 1.3 xbox, with an Xecuter3 CE installed solderless.  I was flashing via FTP, and was able to flash successfully, BUT, I am an idiot and flashed over bank 1 of the 256mb bios so I think I overwrote the x3 default bios. My issue is that my chip does not have the power control board installed, so I cannot use the power+eject button trick to get to the bios recovery screen.

Some hopefully helpful pieces of information:

1. After I flashed the cerbios in bank 1 of 256, I was able to reboot to dash from the x3 menu.  The cerbios animation displayed, and my evox dash booted with no issue. I then powered off.  When I hit power again, it started fragging

2. I did not copy the cerbios.ini to the root of the C drive, which may be part of the issue I am facing, as it does not know to point to the evoxdash

3. When I boot with bank 1 of the 256k bios, the console still frags immediately

4. I also installed a different bios Evox8 in bank 5 of the 256, but I cannot get it to boot from that bios (on, off, on, on for the switch positions). Just constant fragging

5. When I boot with the banks that I have flashed bios to (1 and 5 256) the first boot takes a second before failing, while any other bank setting is nearly instant.

I was wondering if I have any options to get to a safe mode where I can flash the bios without the power control board? Any disk drive options, or switch settings I could use I would happily buy that piece for the chip but it is basically unobtanium at this point as I am sure most people on this sub are aware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

See if this can help you. You can Jerry rig something to help you boot into the backup bios with this information, or, I can try to print up the gerber and help find parts to build you an adapter board. :) If I can find the parts I can build it in 5 minutes. Do you have any of the cables from that adapter board? If not, I would have to source them or have them made...

Of course, you could always wire up some on/off switches and just rig something up to get into the backup bank long enough to recover your X3 bios. :)

On 2/24/2024 at 4:26 PM, dmuney said:

My issue is that my chip does not have the power control board installed, so I cannot use the power+eject button trick to get to the bios recovery screen.

Do you have the double red wire cable that connects from the modchip to the power+eject board? 

On 2/25/2024 at 5:08 AM, nikeymikey said:

Can you boot from a disc? 

If so, burn an installer disc and boot that. Then ftp the below prog to your hdd and use it to erase the flash on your X3 chip. This should then allow you reflash from the recovery bios.

x3_erase.rar

I have not tried this yet, but I will give it a shot. Thank you!

On 2/24/2024 at 8:42 PM, Bowlsnapper said:

See if this can help you. You can Jerry rig something to help you boot into the backup bios with this information, or, I can try to print up the gerber and help find parts to build you an adapter board. :) If I can find the parts I can build it in 5 minutes. Do you have any of the cables from that adapter board? If not, I would have to source them or have them made...

Of course, you could always wire up some on/off switches and just rig something up to get into the backup bank long enough to recover your X3 bios. :)

I appreciate this, I figured there may be some type of option in terms of rigging something up. Unfortunately I do not have any of the cables other than for the front switch, so if I go this route I’ll need to get the cables made. I’m going to try the install disk rout for now, but will keep this in my back pocket

9 hours ago, dmuney said:

Unfortunately no, I don’t have any of the parts related to power control

Purchase a wired 2-pin connector and ground both wires to activate the backup BIOS.

You could use a couple of lengths of 26 to 30 AWG wire-wrap wire soldered to the back of the pins on the modchip to make the connection to ground.

10 hours ago, dmuney said:

I appreciate this, I figured there may be some type of option in terms of rigging something up. Unfortunately I do not have any of the cables other than for the front switch, so if I go this route I’ll need to get the cables made. I’m going to try the install disk rout for now, but will keep this in my back pocket

@KaosEngineer Has a simple answer! I have male 2-pin molexes that should fit the socket on the X3. I can mail you one in an envelope and will pay the shipping, since it's only an envelope. Just plug the molex into the socket and then twist the wires coming out of it. :) Or just solder a pair of wires like Kaos, said.

On 2/26/2024 at 9:54 PM, Bowlsnapper said:

@KaosEngineer Has a simple answer! I have male 2-pin molexes that should fit the socket on the X3. I can mail you one in an envelope and will pay the shipping, since it's only an envelope. Just plug the molex into the socket and then twist the wires coming out of it. :) Or just solder a pair of wires like Kaos, said.

Thank you so much!! I tried the boot disk route and that didn't work so if you could send it to me that would be a life saver! I PM'd you 🙂

On 2/26/2024 at 9:36 PM, KaosEngineer said:

Purchase a wired 2-pin connector and ground both wires to activate the backup BIOS.

You could use a couple of lengths of 26 to 30 AWG wire-wrap wire soldered to the back of the pins on the modchip to make the connection to ground.

HI @KaosEngineer I was able to source a 2 pin connector for my chip.  Sorry I am a total newb when it comes to electrical components like this.  When you say make the connection to ground - is there a wire I need to connect the 2-pin wires to in the xbox? Or I just twist the wires together like @Bowlsnappersuggested?

1 hour ago, dmuney said:

HI @KaosEngineer I was able to source a 2 pin connector for my chip.  Sorry I am a total newb when it comes to electrical components like this.  When you say make the connection to ground - is there a wire I need to connect the 2-pin wires to in the xbox? Or I just twist the wires together like @Bowlsnappersuggested?

Twisting the wires is to make it simple to keep them both together. You will need to ground both. The easiest way to do it is to ground to a screw hole or one of the big, square ground pads. There should be a screw ground right next to the chip. Twist them both and then press them into the ground point with your finger. Power on while doing so. Once you've booted, you should release them from ground and make sure they don't touch anything while you do your flashing. Once you know you've flashed, unplug the wires.

• Like 1