OGXbox.com

R7D2

arfows

So I buggered up the soldering of R7D1 to R7D2 and lost the transistor or whatever it is that normally sits on R7D2.  What affect will that have?

On another note, I opened a stock box to check on Caps.  While I have the motherboard out, can I go ahead and solder the two points before ive done the softmod portion?

Thanks

22 hours ago, arfows said:

So I buggered up the soldering of R7D1 to R7D2 and lost the transistor or whatever it is that normally sits on R7D2.  What affect will that have?

There is no soldering of R7D1 to R7D2.  The R at the front of the part's location designator stands for Resistor.  R7D2 is a resistor.  A pull-up resistor if I remember correctly. I believe it has a value of 10 Kilohms but I'll need to double check its value before you take that value as fact.  I do believe it is needed for proper operation of the console. Edit: Found a post on reddit.com that says it is a 10 KOhm resistor.  SMD resistor physical size: 0402.

You need to add a solder bridge or some type of electrical connection between the two pads at location R7D3 on a v1.0/1.1 Xbox motherboard.

The two pads where R7D1 is located are bridged on v1.2-1.4 motherboards and R7D10.

See: TSOP Flashing Unlock points (biline.ca)

Which version of motherboard do you have?

On another note, I opened a stock box to check on Caps.  While I have the motherboard out, can I go ahead and solder the two points before ive done the softmod portion?

Thanks

Yes.

Thanks on so many fronts!  Its a 1.4 board.  As soon as I get it back together, (it needs the common CPU caps replace too) I'll test it out to see what effect the missing R7D2 resistor has.  Should I report back to this thread or is there a better thread/repository for that kind of info?

follow on question is that I don't have 3300uf caps but I do have some 2200uf.  Does it matter which of the five Cap spaces (C1E1, C2E5, C2E4, C2E3, C3E2) are used on a 1.4 board or does make a difference and any combination of the cap spaces can be used as long as the total uf is ~9900?

Thanks again for your time and expertise!

1 hour ago, arfows said:

Thanks on so many fronts!  Its a 1.4 board.  As soon as I get it back together, (it needs the common CPU caps replace too) I'll test it out to see what effect the missing R7D2 resistor has.  Should I report back to this thread or is there a better thread/repository for that kind of info?

follow on question is that I don't have 3300uf caps but I do have some 2200uf.  Does it matter which of the five Cap spaces (C1E1, C2E5, C2E4, C2E3, C3E2) are used on a 1.4 board or does make a difference and any combination of the cap spaces can be used as long as the total uf is ~9900?

Thanks again for your time and expertise!

I don’t know 100% but I would think you could use the additional open spots for those caps like the older board revs did with 1500uf caps but instead have 2200uf as long as other conditions were met. Going up in microfarad usually isn’t a problem (up as compared to say the five original 1500uf on the older revisions).  I can say for sure that you don’t want to go under voltage on those. Slightly over voltage rating is usually ok as well but they definitely need to be at least 6.3v plus the other specs that @KaosEngineer mentioned as they’re also important. 

22 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

I don’t know 100% but I would think you could use the additional open spots for those caps like the older board revs did with 1500uf caps but instead have 2200uf as long as other conditions were met. Going up in microfarad usually isn’t a problem (up as compared to say the five original 1500uf on the older revisions).  I can say for sure that you don’t want to go under voltage on those. Slightly over voltage rating is usually ok as well but they definitely need to be at least 6.3v plus the other specs that @KaosEngineer mentioned as they’re also important. 

Copy thanks.  Will wait for Kaos to weigh in to see if there are any other particulars with those five spots / if there was a reason why those specific three spots are used / or if it matters at all.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, arfows said:

Copy thanks.  Will wait for Kaos to weigh in to see if there are any other particulars with those five spots / if there was a reason why those specific three spots are used / or if it matters at all.

I’d be interested to know for sure as well!

@KaosEngineerAny thoughts on 

On 2/7/2024 at 11:17 PM, arfows said:

does it matter which of the five Cap spaces (C1E1, C2E5, C2E4, C2E3, C3E2) are used on a 1.4 board or does make a difference and any combination of the cap spaces can be used as long as the total uf is ~9900?

Thanks so much for any advice you can give.

Edited by arfows

Update: 

Got the last Cap installed, put it in the original spot.  Board works without issues (at least so far) without the R7D2 resistor.

still looking for a definitive answer if you can use any combination of the 5 Cap slots for when I Inevitably damage one in the future

Edited by arfows