OGXbox.com

Is my Xbox FUBAR?

matttintoshplus

1 hour ago, Raidernick said:

On the original "real" aladdin chip yes, but none of the clones, lite versions, xblasts, jafars or anything else made these days is that true. In fact, on any "modern" aladdin, including the newer variants you are seeing now on aliexpress with the transistor on them actually have the D0 and L1 traces connected together coming right out of the CPLD. This was not the case on the original versions. So with any of these newer chips you can simply use the D0 pad(some only have this pad available now anyway and did away with all the extra pads).

EDIT: It's actually really hard to get a hold of the original "clone" aladdin's these days as websites like ebay/amazon/aliexpress all show pictures of the original ones with the original cloned CPLD code on them, but then when you buy them you end up with that new version with the transistor that you can't reprogram the CPLD of. I believe there are actually posts about that on this forum.

For the OP the best bet would just be to buy one of the jafars from ebay/gameroomcustoms or modzvilleusa genie. These have a much higher standard of production and assembly and aren't finicky like all the clone aladdins are now.

That's new to me. Thanks for the correction. I only own originals, so that's the only way I know it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Raidernick said:

On the original "real" aladdin chip yes, but none of the clones, lite versions, xblasts, jafars or anything else made these days is that true. In fact, on any "modern" aladdin, including the newer variants you are seeing now on aliexpress with the transistor on them actually have the D0 and L1 traces connected together coming right out of the CPLD. This was not the case on the original versions. So with any of these newer chips you can simply use the D0 pad(some only have this pad available now anyway and did away with all the extra pads).

EDIT: It's actually really hard to get a hold of the original "clone" aladdin's these days as websites like ebay/amazon/aliexpress all show pictures of the original ones with the original cloned CPLD code on them, but then when you buy them you end up with that new version with the transistor that you can't reprogram the CPLD of. I believe there are actually posts about that on this forum.

For the OP the best bet would just be to buy one of the jafars from ebay/gameroomcustoms or modzvilleusa genie. These have a much higher standard of production and assembly and aren't finicky like all the clone aladdins are now.

But Raider... D0 doesn't work, dude. I have no idea why but it's common knowledge that the D0 is useless and that the mobo D0 needs to be grounded. I've never gotten it to work, I know that.

I think the Jafars have working D0s though.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

But Raider... D0 doesn't work, dude. I have no idea why but it's common knowledge that the D0 is useless and that the mobo D0 needs to be grounded. I've never gotten it to work, I know that.

I think the Jafars have working D0s though.

The D0 does work, as long as you connect it to lframe, but it's finicky and may not work on some chips. I've gotten it to work with the crappy clones before and sometimes I can't get the xbox to boot at all and I need to swap the chip out with another. It doesn't really matter though as I've stopped using the aladdin clones altogether and I make my own jafars now and never have that problem anymore.

12 hours ago, Raidernick said:

newer variants you are seeing now on aliexpress with the transistor on them

New AliExpress Aladdins can come with or without the transistor.

It just depends on where the seller gets his supply.

5 minutes ago, lopenator said:

Ive had issues with all the d0 pads on every aladin ive tried. If it wasnt grounded to mobo it just frags. just my experience.

Well I can only speak from experience. I've modded over 120 xbox's at this point and every single one I've attached D0 from the aladdin to the D0 point on the board and I've never, ever had a frag issue until recently(and then ONLY on the 1.6s). The new batch of aladdins is crap and since I had the issue on 2 1.6s in a row I've switched to making jafars myself and the issues are gone.

2 hours ago, Raidernick said:

Well I can only speak from experience. I've modded over 120 xbox's at this point and every single one I've attached D0 from the aladdin to the D0 point on the board and I've never, ever had a frag issue until recently(and then ONLY on the 1.6s). The new batch of aladdins is crap and since I had the issue on 2 1.6s in a row I've switched to making jafars myself and the issues are gone.

I'll have to try it on one of the fresh 1.6 consoles I have. I'll give it a shot, but wont be surprised if it doesn't work. I don't think you're lyin' or anything, but I will say I'm confused about this one, for sure.

Hello again everyone. I come with bad news. The bad news is I have to put the Xbox back together again... because it works!!!

@Marty was right, there was a cut trace. Just one sad, lonely little cut trace. I reattached it using my newly-purchased flux and it booted up amazingly. I can't thank you guys enough! Can't wait to bust out Halo again!

xboxsuccess.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, matttintoshplus said:

Hello again everyone. I come with bad news. The bad news is I have to put the Xbox back together again... because it works!!!

@Marty was right, there was a cut trace. Just one sad, lonely little cut trace. I reattached it using my newly-purchased flux and it booted up amazingly. I can't thank you guys enough! Can't wait to bust out Halo again!

xboxsuccess.jpg

Glad the trace fix worked :)

Well, that was short-lived. I busted out Halo 2 and after about 15 minutes of playing, it powered off and gave me an orange blinking light. consolemods.org says that that means there's a "Damaged trace or solder splashed on components." I'll give the board a look over, but at this point, I'm not sure what there is left to see. I looked over anything that I soldered originally and didn't see any issues, but I guess I'll have to do that again.

1 hour ago, matttintoshplus said:

Well, that was short-lived. I busted out Halo 2 and after about 15 minutes of playing, it powered off and gave me an orange blinking light. consolemods.org says that that means there's a "Damaged trace or solder splashed on components." I'll give the board a look over, but at this point, I'm not sure what there is left to see. I looked over anything that I soldered originally and didn't see any issues, but I guess I'll have to do that again.

That's a vague-ass diagnosis... anywhere in particular that may be shorting? Or was that all the info available?

15 hours ago, matttintoshplus said:

That's all it says on that site. Can't seem to find much elsewhere.

I mean it can cause FRAGs and various other issues also so I don't really know how helpful it is to tell people that. Ya know? What do you wanna do at this point?