OGXbox.com

Certain games won't work at all on my Original v1.4 Xbox (Halo Green Edition)

Marbles

6 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

That’s weird about the Phillips in the 1.6. I mean it tracks with us thinking there’s something flawed on that halo mobo but I’d still love to know what that was. Lol. As to the dvd swap do you recall the drive type that was in the 1.6? There’s one that doesn’t play well with the startech adapters. I want to say it’s the Samsung DVDs. 

Anyway, that’s cool you were able to get the other to work and the games. I’d be curious if the hdd ready version of Stubbs would now work on the 1.6 since it didn’t on the halo box. I still can’t believe that 1.6 was just thrown out on the road dude. Lol. Hold on to the halo box. You might come across a 1.0-1.14 mobo you could throw in there. :D If not though you can probably guarantee someone will buy that case from you at some point. 

It's branded as a Toshiba Samsung, it won't even open.

Edited by Marbles

3 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Could just need the drive belt replaced and almost guaranteed a thorough cleaning inside. Might still be a good dvd drive if you ever feel like messing around with it. 

Yes, if it's the case where it tries to open, won't, but can be coaxed to open by tapping the lid before it goes back into retraction, this can be fixed either be cleaning the spindles and reconditioning the belt with hot water, or just replacing the belt outright.

On 1/12/2024 at 1:01 AM, FrostyMaGee said:

That’s weird about the Phillips in the 1.6. I mean it tracks with us thinking there’s something flawed on that halo mobo but I’d still love to know what that was. Lol. As to the dvd swap do you recall the drive type that was in the 1.6? There’s one that doesn’t play well with the startech adapters. I want to say it’s the Samsung DVDs. 

Anyway, that’s cool you were able to get the other to work and the games. I’d be curious if the hdd ready version of Stubbs would now work on the 1.6 since it didn’t on the halo box. I still can’t believe that 1.6 was just thrown out on the road dude. Lol. Hold on to the halo box. You might come across a 1.0-1.14 mobo you could throw in there. :D If not though you can probably guarantee someone will buy that case from you at some point. 

Setup the 1.6 to get modded next week. Waiting on chip to come in.
I can just plug and play the drive right?

11 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Could just need the drive belt replaced and almost guaranteed a thorough cleaning inside. Might still be a good dvd drive if you ever feel like messing around with it. 

7 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Yes, if it's the case where it tries to open, won't, but can be coaxed to open by tapping the lid before it goes back into retraction, this can be fixed either be cleaning the spindles and reconditioning the belt with hot water, or just replacing the belt outright.

Trying to use the paperclip method, still not opening.
Gonna try a new band when I can and cleaning out... like the v1.6 had hair, it was so thick with dust that it looked like someone had just gotten their head shaved into it before cleaning out. Never seen dark brown dust before.

• Haha 1

Just now, Marbles said:

Setup the 1.6 to get modded next week. Waiting on chip to come in.
I can just plug and play the drive right?

Trying to use the paperclip method, still not opening.
Gonna try a new band when I can and cleaning out... like the v1.6 had hair, it was so thick with dust that it looked like someone had just gotten their head shaved into it before cleaning out. Never seen dark brown dust before.

Wll you should be able to hear the drive move around a bit and then move around again to retract after not going anywhere. The eject LED should be flashing during this interval. If it does't then there is another issue because your drive is not even trying to open.

You should be able to just drop in another DVD drive and it'll just work. It's not married to the motherboard like 360 drives are.

3 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Wll you should be able to hear the drive move around a bit and then move around again to retract after not going anywhere. The eject LED should be flashing during this interval. If it does't then there is another issue because your drive is not even trying to open.

You should be able to just drop in another DVD drive and it'll just work. It's not married to the motherboard like 360 drives are.

I meant Hard Drive, I dropped the 1.4s DVD in the 1.6 and fixed it up.. and it's working
I put the 1.6 DVD in the 1.4, and it still doesn't want to open. I hear very little movement inside.. and trying to use the paperclip open method..

7 minutes ago, Marbles said:

I meant Hard Drive, I dropped the 1.4s DVD in the 1.6 and fixed it up.. and it's working
I put the 1.6 DVD in the 1.4, and it still doesn't want to open. I hear very little movement inside.. and trying to use the paperclip open method..

You’ll probably just have to open that dvd up and clean it out. I’ve seen them so dirty and with drive belts on their last leg that they wouldn’t budge until I cracked the drive open and cleaned up/replaced the belt. Once you’re in it you should be able to open the tray manually with the slide. 

12 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

You’ll probably just have to open that dvd up and clean it out. I’ve seen them so dirty and with drive belts on their last leg that they wouldn’t budge until I cracked the drive open and cleaned up/replaced the belt. Once you’re in it you should be able to open the tray manually with the slide. 

Does it have to be on to use the Paper Clip hole?
Where is the hole when I pull it out of the console... but yea... thank you!

33 minutes ago, Marbles said:

Does it have to be on to use the Paper Clip hole?
Where is the hole when I pull it out of the console... but yea... thank you!

The big hole that shows the white plastic arm? Push a screwdriver tip straight forward into that. Fuck a paperclip.

21 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

The big hole that shows the white plastic arm? Push a screwdriver tip straight forward into that. Fuck a paperclip.

Does it have to be on?
So I was poking the right thing! Nothing happening sadly.

51 minutes ago, Marbles said:

Does it have to be on?

No it doesn’t have to be on. If the paper clip isn’t working it’s best, in my experience anyway, to just take the case off the dvd drive and see what’s up. You can open the drive tray manually inside. 

Edited by FrostyMaGee

10 hours ago, Marbles said:

Does it have to be on?

This is basically bypassing the motor and using the mechanism that the motor operates to shove the tray open. It's what the paperclip is pushing when the drive is installed. If this is jammed, then I would take the shell off, like Frosty is saying. It really shouldn't be hard to push and it makes me think that the gearing is out of alignment or you have some seriously frozen mechanicals.

3 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

This is basically bypassing the motor and using the mechanism that the motor operates to shove the tray open. It's what the paperclip is pushing when the drive is installed. If this is jammed, then I would take the shell off, like Frosty is saying. It really shouldn't be hard to push and it makes me think that the gearing is out of alignment or you have some seriously frozen mechanicals.

13 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

No it doesn’t have to be on. If the paper clip isn’t working it’s best, in my experience anyway, to just take the case off the dvd drive and see what’s up. You can open the drive tray manually inside. 

Well as I said before, if was literally packed with thick brown dust when I opened it. It had a hairline.

So i could see the drive being the same.

Just now, Marbles said:

Well as I said before, if was literally packed with thick brown dust when I opened it. It had a hairline.

Good point. I would be interested to find out what it looks like. 4 screws... lets see. :)

2 hours ago, Marbles said:

Most likely yeah. Lol. Sadly I’ve run in to a few that bad as well and the drives were just as dirty. Not sure how it was possible for them to get that dirty. Lol

2 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Most likely yeah. Lol. Sadly I’ve run in to a few that bad as well and the drives were just as dirty. Not sure how it was possible for them to get that dirty. Lol

4 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Good point. I would be interested to find out what it looks like. 4 screws... lets see. :)

1705202058377622570995482497101.thumb.jpg.c73b8a3b8a89d20351b1c9f8bc9a8c81.jpg20240113_221154.thumb.jpg.7b83142a09570828315eb647918da8c1.jpg

20 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

That’s pretty dirty just from what I can see without zooming in. Lol. Guessing the bezel was broken when they tried to force it open. Slightly before they threw it out on the side of the road. SMH. 

Cleaned out, reseated cord... only wants to open half the time

Bezel?

Also the tray is built into it unlike the philips

Edited by Marbles

1 hour ago, Marbles said:

Bezel?

Like I said, if you are hearing two sets of shifting, you have a bad belt. When you press eject and the eject light starts blinking for 5 seconds, try palm slapping the top of the console. If you can get the drive to open on the times when it doesn't want to by doing so (palm slapping), you can simply clean the belt, spindles and put the belt right back in. I would boil the belt for about 10 minutes. It'll fix the issue.

1 hour ago, Marbles said:

Bezel?

Yeah you’ll still most likely need a new belt. 

The bezel being the front facing piece on the dvd drive that says Xbox. Looked like it was missing in the picture. 

49 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Yeah you’ll still most likely need a new belt. 

The bezel being the front facing piece on the dvd drive that says Xbox. Looked like it was missing in the picture. 

Was, took it off when i switched. 

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Like I said, if you are hearing two sets of shifting, you have a bad belt. When you press eject and the eject light starts blinking for 5 seconds, try palm slapping the top of the console. If you can get the drive to open on the times when it doesn't want to by doing so (palm slapping), you can simply clean the belt, spindles and put the belt right back in. I would boil the belt for about 10 minutes. It'll fix the issue.

Thanks! Yea it, it keeps opened and refuses to close.

It twitchs on the right side of the tray 3 times and stops.

Doesnt read games.

Edited by Marbles

52 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

Sometimes you can boil the belts for a few minutes to restore.some of their shape. After this long however, it's only a temporary fix for those things. They tend to get dry rot and stay oblong 

Indeed. I’ve never had much luck with boiling them. I just replace them. Though for those bigger thompson belts (which I usually don’t have many spares on hand) I’ll at least give the boiling methods a shot. Lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Indeed. I’ve never had much luck with boiling them. I just replace them. Though for those bigger thompson belts (which I usually don’t have many spares on hand) I’ll at least give the boiling methods a shot. Lol. 

I boiled for the first time with one of those thompson belts that I JUST found out about. I went to replace it and went, "Oh shit. I can't use my replacements for this thing!" So boil it I did. I cleaned everything else and it worked great after, thankfully. Wasn't too dried out or toasted yet.