OGXbox.com

Certain games won't work at all on my Original v1.4 Xbox (Halo Green Edition)

Marbles

3 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Indeed. I’ve never had much luck with boiling them. I just replace them. Though for those bigger thompson belts (which I usually don’t have many spares on hand) I’ll at least give the boiling methods a shot. Lol. 

4 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

Sometimes you can boil the belts for a few minutes to restore.some of their shape. After this long however, it's only a temporary fix for those things. They tend to get dry rot and stay oblong 

2 Things
#1. Where do I order a new belt?
#2. Suggestions for an IDE Cable? I got one off Amazon, and it feels a might.... short? tight? Not sure what to call it but it feels like it's just not fitting correctly. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IDF0JC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The one I put in the v1.6 to help repair the console, was the Chimeric one, but they are... not in service at the moment.
https://www.chimericsystems.com/
Their p
arts were amazing, I have their HDMI adapter!

2 minutes ago, Marbles said:

2 Things
#1. Where do I order a new belt?
#2. Suggestions for an IDE Cable? I got one off Amazon, and it feels a might.... short? tight? Not sure what to call it but it feels like it's just not fitting correctly. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IDF0JC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The one I put in the v1.6 to help repair the console, was the Chimeric one, but they are... not in service at the moment.
https://www.chimericsystems.com/
Their p
arts were amazing, I have their HDMI adapter!

IDE cable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264927666468?hash=item3daeeb6124:g:fDoAAOSwYVZfNwU1

Belts: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=original+xbox+belts+dvd&_sacat=0&_odkw=snes+controller&_osacat=0

Plenty to choose from. :) 

The Amazon IDEs are backwards and upside down. They work, but are kind of a pain. These are oriented correctly.

4 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

IDE cable: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264927666468?hash=item3daeeb6124:g:fDoAAOSwYVZfNwU1

Belts: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=original+xbox+belts+dvd&_sacat=0&_odkw=snes+controller&_osacat=0

Plenty to choose from. :) 

The Amazon IDEs are backwards and upside down. They work, but are kind of a pain. These are oriented correctly.

They felt right side up when you plug the blue end in.. but it still felt... tight.
Always afraid of eBay.

1 hour ago, Marbles said:

They felt right side up when you plug the blue end in.. but it still felt... tight.
Always afraid of eBay.

Here are some as well:

https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Drive-Replacement-Drives-Stuck/dp/B079VQCYSM

These work just fine on all but the thompson drives. It says 360 but they work with the aforementioned og Xbox drives. As for the ide cable I’ve used the one you linked many times and never had any issues with them. If it’s the 24” Manhattan cable anyway. You have to do some cable origami with all of them but that one has worked for me a lot. 

Edited by FrostyMaGee

1 hour ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Here are some as well:

These work just fine on all but the thompson drives. It says 360 but they work with the aforementioned og Xbox drives. As for the ide cable I’ve used the one you linked many times and never had any issues with them. If it’s the 24” Manhattan cable anyway. You have to do some cable origami with all of them but that one has worked for me a lot. 

I've gotten quite talented at Amazon cable oragami. 😛

On 1/14/2024 at 11:57 PM, FrostyMaGee said:

Here are some as well:

Thank you!
I don't trust eBay as much as I've been screwed both selling and buying.
Bought a Xenium chip off eBay and apparently it was a fake....

On 1/15/2024 at 1:38 AM, Bowlsnapper said:

I've gotten quite talented at Amazon cable oragami. 😛

Just feels awkward, while the Chimera fit so nice.
Blue end attaches to the console right?

On this topic... why is there no Holster/Tray for the DVD Drive?
On the V1.4 the drive was screwed into a tray, on the 1.6 there are two plastic holes built into the front.. and I see nothing in the back.

image.thumb.jpeg.c88c037ce9d8fae711c1c939441eeacb.jpeg

12 hours ago, Marbles said:

Thank you!
I don't trust eBay as much as I've been screwed both selling and buying.
Bought a Xenium chip off eBay and apparently it was a fake....

Just feels awkward, while the Chimera fit so nice.
Blue end attaches to the console right?

On this topic... why is there no Holster/Tray for the DVD Drive?
On the V1.4 the drive was screwed into a tray, on the 1.6 there are two plastic holes built into the front.. and I see nothing in the back.

image.thumb.jpeg.c88c037ce9d8fae711c1c939441eeacb.jpeg

The blue end should be going in the hdd. Wasn’t sure if that’s what you meant or if you were referring to the motherboard. The cable basically goes in backwards to how you would put it in a pc. 

30 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Yes, that. It's why Cable Select doesn't work. @Marbles

Exactly. Plus you know what I said a while back…if you can set master or slave manually then do it rather than trusting a cable. (That goes for all electronics.) Just had to say it again. Lol. Not really applicable to modern day stuff but still. :D 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

The blue end should be going in the hdd. Wasn’t sure if that’s what you meant or if you were referring to the motherboard. The cable basically goes in backwards to how you would put it in a pc. 

15 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Yes, that. It's why Cable Select doesn't work. @Marbles

Its been decades since I worked with eide so my brain deleted/repressed it.

God, now I remember setting drive and mb jumpers..

Anyways, i have the blue end in the console... that might have been an issue.

Thanks!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marbles said:

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Marbles said:

Thanks!

I mean, really the only consideration is what makes it easier to fit the cable. We already have our drive priorities set, so it's up to you what you wanna do. :)

I had many a fun time organizing drive priorities when I was a kid. Good memories.

On 1/17/2024 at 12:31 PM, Bowlsnapper said:

I mean, really the only consideration is what makes it easier to fit the cable. We already have our drive priorities set, so it's up to you what you wanna do. :)

I had many a fun time organizing drive priorities when I was a kid. Good memories.

On 1/16/2024 at 5:47 PM, FrostyMaGee said:

Exactly. Plus you know what I said a while back…if you can set master or slave manually then do it rather than trusting a cable. (That goes for all electronics.) Just had to say it again. Lol. Not really applicable to modern day stuff but still. :D 

So, once again.
Took the 1.6 Samsung drive out, cleaned it, cleaned the connector and reseated the cabled internally. Just put a new drive belt on (came today) and installed it into my Defective v1.4 console.

Still will not play Seven Sorrows, and is now making a loud sound

Meanwhile I took the 1.4 Philips drive, put it in the 1.6 system and I was able to play hours of the same game, same disc uninterrupted.

A copy of Stubbs will be arriving tomorrow. So this will once and for all determine the system.

Also, ran into 2 paculiar things.

#1. The Samsung drive doesn't have a cradle around it, and only mounting screw holes for the front?
#2. The v1.4 console MAY have a defective 2nd player port. I tried Toe Jam and Earl 3 on the console a while back, and no matter what controller I put into the 2nd player port.. the character would NOT stop jumping. Still doing it, but it doesn't seem to affect any other 2player game I've tried.

Edited by Marbles

On 1/12/2024 at 1:01 AM, FrostyMaGee said:

That’s weird about the Phillips in the 1.6. I mean it tracks with us thinking there’s something flawed on that halo mobo but I’d still love to know what that was. Lol. As to the dvd swap do you recall the drive type that was in the 1.6? There’s one that doesn’t play well with the startech adapters. I want to say it’s the Samsung DVDs. 

Anyway, that’s cool you were able to get the other to work and the games. I’d be curious if the hdd ready version of Stubbs would now work on the 1.6 since it didn’t on the halo box. I still can’t believe that 1.6 was just thrown out on the road dude. Lol. Hold on to the halo box. You might come across a 1.0-1.14 mobo you could throw in there. :D If not though you can probably guarantee someone will buy that case from you at some point. 

Not what you asked for, but I went out and found a different copy of Stubbs to try out one last time on the 1.4 console, now that it has a new DVD drive installed...

Results remain the same....

Still waiting on the v1.6 to be returned after modding...
The winter chill is causing havoc on shipping up here in NE.

Edited by Marbles

On 1/22/2024 at 12:38 PM, Marbles said:

Not what you asked for, but I went out and found a different copy of Stubbs to try out one last time on the 1.4 console, now that it has a new DVD drive installed...

Results remain the same....

Still waiting on the v1.6 to be returned after modding...
The winter chill is causing havoc on shipping up here in NE.

Well at least the 1.4 is being consistent. Lol. It’ll be interesting to see if Stubbs works fine on the modded 1.6 once you get it back.