OGXbox.com

replacing a bad tsop chip on a 1.0 with a tsop from a 1.1

christopolis

i have a skeleton black that would not boot from the tsop (was never opened so just the tsop went bad). i stuck it in my t48 programmer and it gives me pin detect errors, so i took a tsop off of a parts 1.1 and sure enough it reads without issue, i was comparing the k4034 image on the chip to other 4034 images and it is slightly different, just want to know if it is infact the stock 4034 kernel on the chip or if it is some other bios on it. i've attached the dump from the donor chip

[email protected]

just checked the md5 hash and it matches x2 4977 which is weird i guess at some point i must have accidentally flashed the tsop on the donor console with my openxenium because i only install modchips and do not tsop flash, and i believe that console was stock when i initially got it

Edited by christopolis

15 hours ago, Marty said:

Temporarily install a modchip and see if it will boot that. Rule out possible errors.

i've already gone way past that part, tsop chip was bad on the board, took one off a donor board and flashed with 4034 then soldered donor chip to console, boots fine now, the main thing i was trying to figure out was what bios was on the donor chip since it didn't match kernel 4034, turns out it was x2 4977, must have flashed the tsop with my openxenium by accident on that console cause i don't do tsop flashes i only install modchips

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Thairanny said:

I have been curious the reasons to avoid TSOP flashing. I assume it basically strips away the unique identity of the Xbox or something, but does it interfere with Insignia or anything else when you flash the TSOP?

It's just a risk of bricking the Xbox if it is your only option for storing a bios. If it flashes badly or the IC is failing then you could be fuxored with no way to recover. That's why it is generally recommended to bypass the TSOP altogether at this point.

4 hours ago, Thairanny said:

I see. Is it just me, or is this happening at a quick rate? Do you think the TSOP are hitting the end of their lifespan? 20+ years old, I'll have to check the spec sheets or something for life expectancy. But until this week I had never head about bad TSOPS. No videos, no references on the surface level of most sources. I've been researching how to work on these Xbox for at least the last 2 months. Maybe most people simply never diagnose it.

It sure seems like it. I'm noticing the EOL for lots of SMDs and pretty soon we're gonna have to start rebuilding the entire motherboard, it seems like. But the TSOP failing thankfully has recognizable signs to it... and you have them :)

But yeah, you're not crazy. This is starting to happen a LOT now and it honestly worries me a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2024 at 1:55 AM, Bowlsnapper said:

That's why it is generally recommended to bypass the TSOP altogether at this point.

I always TSOP as its the easiest way to a hard mod. I do occasionally add chips as well tho but mainly TSOP flashing is my thing lol

1 minute ago, Bgsmods59 said:

For me the best is to flash the Tsop with the Xblast056 bios and use a chip containing Cerbios for daily use.

Why would you not just flash the TSOP with Cerbios too? That way there are no compatibility issues if you are using CCI files and/or Cerbios formatted large HDD's. 

3 hours ago, Bgsmods59 said:

Is your tsop original or was it reflashed? If it is original the CD will not work, even if the component is defective. If it has already been reflashed but is corrupted there is a good chance that it will work.

It's the TSOP kit that Sweet made.

2 hours ago, Thairanny said:

I can try and write cerbios to it right? Will that repair the TSOP if corrupted?

The TSOP kit is meant to be used with a USB drive. You need an exploitable game in order to flash the TSOP. You also need to be able to BOOT from the TSOP to be able to address it with ANY flashing software. There is no way to get around this. If you boot from the LPC, only your LPC will be addressable. If you boot from the TSOP, only the TSOP will be addressable. That's why I've been saying that it's probably NOT worth it. You'd have to get everything done on occasions when you can get the TSOP to load. There is also no guarantee that it is just a corrupted image/flash. Your chip may be dying and it may not work at all to flash it..