OGXbox.com

Samsung DVD drive "Busy" Fault

Raidernick

1 hour ago, Thairanny said:

Sorry, my 1.6 has a Samsung drive. I meant an adapter that works properly with the Samsung Drive, or is this no longer an issue?

TBH I barely understand modding, I've already bought a startech to use with my Rev. 1.6 Samsung DVD Xbox, although reading through this post I wasn't sure if I needed to buy a different one.

It is still an issue. The drive won't work on first boot of the console with the startech and samsung. You'll need to reboot it until it starts working unless you use the green china adapter.

5 hours ago, Thairanny said:

Also, you had stated you changed all the caps on the Samsung drives, I haven't been able to install the SMD capacitors. All I have is the Hakko FX888D and I don't wanna buy the 300$ tweezers. I don't have a heat gun either, but melting off the caps seems like it would probably do more harm than good, unless the capacitors are actually bad... If you had any tips I'd appreciate it.

I replaced the caps because I thought they were bad, they were not. Unless your drive doesn't work in the stock system you don't need to replace the caps, or the resistor packs(which is what actually usually goes bad on these). I got the adapters from various sellers on ebay not amazon. I posted a picture of the exact one you need to get, they make 4-5 different but extremely similar ones and only that one will work.

4 hours ago, Thairanny said:

Yea I'll probably leave the originals on, I have enough trouble with normal capacitors. If you don't mind explaining, what method do you use to remove the silver SMD capacitors? Also what is a resistor pack?

If the board is extremely corroded I use a hot air rework station to remove them(this can be dangerous as they can explode). If there is little or no corrosion I will just twist them off with a pair of pliers, then desolder the legs left on the pads. A resistor array is basically several resistors combined side by side into one smd component. It looks like this:

CN1J4TTD101J KOA | KOA, CN 100Ω ±5% Isolated Resistor Array, 4 Resistors,  0603 (1608M), Concave | 172-9092 | RS Components

The resistors in these arrays will go out of spec on the board. This will make it stop working, these are very difficult to replace if you are new to soldering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raidernick said:

If the board is extremely corroded I use a hot air rework station to remove them(this can be dangerous as they can explode). If there is little or no corrosion I will just twist them off with a pair of pliers, then desolder the legs left on the pads. A resistor array is basically several resistors combined side by side into one smd component. It looks like this:

CN1J4TTD101J KOA | KOA, CN 100Ω ±5% Isolated Resistor Array, 4 Resistors,  0603 (1608M), Concave | 172-9092 | RS Components

The resistors in these arrays will go out of spec on the board. This will make it stop working, these are very difficult to replace if you are new to soldering.

They can sometimes be a pain even as an experienced one. Lol. I agree that they’d be terribly difficult for someone new to soldering. The make up and area of placement would definitely work against an inexperienced person on those dvd boards. 

• 3 months later...

The modshop has finished my orig Xbox.

Has alerted me to this issue with my Samsung drive and startech.

Is the working solution change it to a cheap chinese adapter? or should I wait till it gets fixed with cerbios?

Edited by Halo_2

10 minutes ago, Halo_2 said:

The modshop has finished my orig Xbox.

Has alerted me to this issue with my Samsung drive and startech.

Is the working solution change it to a cheap chinese adapter? or should I wait till it gets fixed with cerbios?

Yeah I believe it’s the semi cheap green Chinese adapters that do the trick with the Samsungs. 

• Like 1

I recently bought a bunch of these adapters off of aliexpress - most were M03E but I do have JP103-5s and I'm getting a couple of the RXD boards off ebay.  Plan on testing them all out and will report back here and on the original post about them on xbox-scene (if the site is still active) IDE to Sata Adapter compatibility thread - Official Team Cerbios Forums - Xbox-Scene

I also bought some resistors - my soldering skills leave a lot to be desired so i have not yet tested my ability to safely solder those on yet.  Gonna take a lot of practice.