OGXbox.com

Xblast aladdin mod help

KuraV12

Hello, i’ve been wanting to do the xblast Aladdin mod for some time now. However i’ve heard that there are different variations of the Aladdin XT +2 chip, one with a transistor near the lattice chip. And one without it. The transistor one also has a more complex PCB design. Sadly all of my Aladdins have the transistor near the lattice chip. I heard that the ones with the transistor don’t work properly after flashing the replacement CPLD code. I don’t want to brick my chips so i want some help on the topic. Also if i brick my chip, can i somehow unbrick it? I mean the lattice chip that doesn’t work properly after flashing (if it’s the transistor one) Or am i just mistaken/it’s been patched. Please let me know. I can answer any questions.

4 hours ago, KuraV12 said:

Hello, i’ve been wanting to do the xblast Aladdin mod for some time now. However i’ve heard that there are different variations of the Aladdin XT +2 chip, one with a transistor near the lattice chip. And one without it. The transistor one also has a more complex PCB design. Sadly all of my Aladdins have the transistor near the lattice chip. I heard that the ones with the transistor don’t work properly after flashing the replacement CPLD code. I don’t want to brick my chips so i want some help on the topic. Also if i brick my chip, can i somehow unbrick it? I mean the lattice chip that doesn’t work properly after flashing (if it’s the transistor one) Or am i just mistaken/it’s been patched. Please let me know. I can answer any questions.

How many do you have, anyway? You can get the non-transistors for 7 bucks on Ali.

2 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Please post a good pic of the Aladdin you have so that I can see where the traces lead. 

You can make a backup of the lattice first and in case something goes wrong with the new CPLD code you can probably just flash it back. 

I actually wasn't sure if the CPLD stays open and flashable and identifiable if the flash is bad. I guess it does, sweet?

On 11/20/2023 at 10:14 PM, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Please post a good pic of the Aladdin you have so that I can see where the traces lead. 

You can make a backup of the lattice first and in case something goes wrong with the new CPLD code you can probably just flash it back. 

Just got the transistor Aladdin modchip.  Both are clones the one on the right is the transistor one.  I was hoping for the one on the left.

aladdinComparison.jpg

aladdinComparison2.jpg

I found a seller with this type on AliExpress. They are all able to be flashed directly from the xbox. No extra diodes, resistors, or transistors on the boards as you can see. The others I've had, like the ones above, I had to remove all of the chips to flash on the pc. 

Edit: Here is another thread on this. I'll say it again, "This needs to be, a pinned thread".

Screenshot_20231127_204512_AliExpress.jpg

Edited by MadMartigan
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

I found a seller with this type on AliExpress. They are all able to be flashed directly from the xbox. No extra diodes, resistors, or transistors on the boards as you can see. The others I've had, like the ones above, I had to remove all of the chips to flash on the pc. 

Edit: Here is another thread on this. I'll say it again, "This needs to be, a pinned thread".

Screenshot_20231127_204512_AliExpress.jpg

I believe these are the ones I got and flashed. :)

On 11/27/2023 at 8:51 PM, MadMartigan said:

So which seller on AliExpress is selling the Aladdin modchips that can be flashed directly from the Xbox?  That information would be more helpful than pinning a topic where no one knows which Aladdin modchip can be flashed.  I dont think that other thread has much clarity on which Aladdin to buy because some work with printed text, some dont.  Some work with the extra diodes, resistors, transistors while some dont.  Pinning a topic like that doesnt seem helpful because it still doesnt answer the question of which Aladdin to buy.  A better solution would be to find a source who is selling Aladdins that work and let everyone know.  That way you support someone who is selling good Aladdin modchips vs someone who is not.  Of course there is no guarantee the person selling the good Aladdins doesnt start selling the bad ones at some point.

7 minutes ago, RMM said:

So which seller on AliExpress is selling the Aladdin modchips that can be flashed directly from the Xbox?  That information would be more helpful than pinning a topic where no one knows which Aladdin modchip can be flashed.  I dont think that other thread has much clarity on which Aladdin to buy because some work with printed text, some dont.  Some work with the extra diodes, resistors, transistors while some dont.  Pinning a topic like that doesnt seem helpful because it still doesnt answer the question of which Aladdin to buy.  A better solution would be to find a source who is selling Aladdins that work and let everyone know.  That way you support someone who is selling good Aladdin modchips vs someone who is not.  Of course there is no guarantee the person selling the good Aladdins doesnt start selling the bad ones at some point.

These are the chips I upgraded to XBlasts:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802425688094.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.34.62cc194dUzSMn2

These are the SST 1MB flash chips I used and flashed with XBlast OS:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256803469514647.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.22.62cc194dUzSMn2

@Aero_105

Edit: Sorry, that was not the question. I thought I was responding to another topic because I'm retarded. Apologies.

16 minutes ago, RMM said:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqFF24q

I ordered several from this seller. 

Edit: I have provided that link in several threads already. It's easy to narrow down by searching this topic and reading. Try not to be rude and passive aggressive please. It also does in fact tell which particular model to buy. Read carefully 

Edited by MadMartigan

7 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Thanks for the info.  Using your method didnt you need to use a Lattice programmer to get the modchip to work?  Thats a good solution but Im guessing most people will want a modchip they can buy and drop into their Xbox without having to worry about programming the modchip.  Still, its helpful for some Im sure.

39 minutes ago, RMM said:

Thanks for the info.  Using your method didnt you need to use a Lattice programmer to get the modchip to work?  Thats a good solution but Im guessing most people will want a modchip they can buy and drop into their Xbox without having to worry about programming the modchip.  Still, its helpful for some Im sure.

Yeah, like I said, this is not the correct topic. I did use a flashcat programmer and TL866 to program the SST chips. Pretty expensive if only for one modchip. 😛

33 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

You're welcome and just FYI, the link was posted in my original message. 

Lol... Set 'em straight, Marty! 😛

Anyway, I think I may try to start building the open source Xeniums. I want to see if I can offer them for a price that is more reasonable than 50 dollars. My goal is 30. I wonder if I can build stencils or if templates for stencils exist for the OXs... or if I have to just solder everything with my iron. 😛

I hate to see people buying these aladdins. I know they're temptingly inexpensive, but BOY are they basic and problematic...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

I had about 20 empty OX boards I sent to a guy. He was supposed to send me two back, fully assembled in exchange. Of course that never happened but he is still in touch from time to time. I'm going to try and get them returned since he gor busy with life. Would you be interested in the same deal?

I don't see why not. Do you have the parts already or do they need to be ordered?

11 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

It was just empty boards I received in a bundle with other stuff. I'm waiting to hear back from him so it may be a while. He wasn't a scammer. He went through a bad breakup and move right after this all went down so xbox stuff got put on hold. 

Sure. I'll PM you with my address and set up shipping.  I'll also get a BOM. :)