OGXbox.com

XBOX powers off uncommanded

arfows

XBOX 1.2 TSOP flashed with Cerbios that will power up and run for about 2 minutes and then just powers itself off

Hit power button again and it powers on right away.

This time it stays on for less time...and each iteration of this powers it on for less time than previously until its only on for 15 seconds or so

After I let it sit for a half day, it'll run again for a couple minutes and then exhibit the same behavior.

This occurs regardless if the DVD is connected during power on sequence (have DVD check bypassed in Cerbios).  This sounds like a classic Cap issue...or could it be a power supply issue?  To rule out one or the other, what is the easiest way to determine what is giving/causing the power off signal?

Thanks!

Edited by arfows
clarity

Thanks.  Should have mentioned that the mobo caps look fine and I've got the xbox opened up, DVD removed, and Hard drive outside the case.  Mobo temps are in the 30s (celsius) when it powers off.  A quick look at the PSU caps show no obvious issues either. 

If it is the PSU, what would cause the PSU to overheat, how could I measure that, and is there an easy fix for it?

Thanks!

Hmm. Unless someone has another idea my next thought would be to start replacing the five caps near the cpu on the motherboard. Usually they are bulging or showing some leakage but even if they aren’t it doesn’t necessarily mean they’re good. At this point they either are or are approaching 20+ years old. That’s my thought anyway since you tried a known good psu. 

2 minutes ago, ChriZz said:

Version 1.2 only has 3 capacitors and I remember that I was often able to measure a greatly increased value on these capacitors. Especially the capacitors with metal housing.

I was thinking it was a 1.6 but that’s a different post with another power problem. My bad. Yeah I see now where he said it was a 1.2. That being said I’d still probably replace those three and see if the issue remains. 

Yeah I’d check for trace rot and corrosion around that clock cap too as you mentioned. 

As Marty said above, a decent picture might help. Otherwise we can all just guess riddles.

What I would now suspect would be a leaky super capacitor. As soon as the console is turned on, it gets warm and this liquid causes a short circuit somewhere. Which goes faster and faster after you switch it on. Just as he describes it.

I would now rule out overheating and thus the temperature sensor since he doesn't mention anything about high-speed fans?!

Well let's see what arfows says.

• Like 1

Mobo temps show 30s when it powers off.  Also swapped AC cables just to make sure that wasn't the problem somehow but it made no difference.  There is trace rot on the bottom, but I cleaned up any fluid residue when I got the box and removed the clock cap about a year ago and the power has stayed on fine until the last week.  The only artifact was that the power button wouldn't work and it would only power on with the eject button - but other than that it worked without power loss this entire time

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

IMG_4724.jpg

IMG_4725.jpg

IMG_4722.JPG

Edited by arfows
addl info

Yes, you can see it well, the ladder rails are through. I would repair it first and scrub it clean generously with isopropanol and a hard toothbrush.

Unfortunately, the liquid from the supercap gets under the solder mask and is sometimes difficult to remove. Maybe it's gotten so bad for you over the years that the 2nd PCB layer has been damaged and therefore a short circuit occurs when exposed to heat.

12 hours ago, ChriZz said:

Yes, you can see it well, the ladder rails are through. I would repair it first and scrub it clean generously with isopropanol and a hard toothbrush.

Unfortunately, the liquid from the supercap gets under the solder mask and is sometimes difficult to remove. Maybe it's gotten so bad for you over the years that the 2nd PCB layer has been damaged and therefore a short circuit occurs when exposed to heat.

Ladder rails?

I have a second box (the one I pulled the other PSU from) that is now exhibiting the same exact symptoms.  That board's middle (of the three) caps has a slight bulge.  If I have any spare caps left I'll look to replace that one and see how it goes.

From what I have read online, its pretty hard to test caps without special equipment, correct?

15 minutes ago, arfows said:

I have a second box (the one I pulled the other PSU from) that is now exhibiting the same exact symptoms.  That board's middle (of the three) caps has a slight bulge.  If I have any spare caps left I'll look to replace that one and see how it goes.

From what I have read online, its pretty hard to test caps without special equipment, correct?

You need an ESR meter for this. This shows you the Value like capacity and vloss value.

If you install new caps you have to take ones with low ESR, hope you are aware of that. Otherwise you will create a new error. Greetings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ChriZz said:

You need an ESR meter for this. This shows you the Value like capacity and vloss value.

If you install new caps you have to take ones with low ESR, hope you are aware of that. Otherwise you will create a new error. Greetings

Just to add on to what you’ve said he would also need to have the same temp rating (or at least no less than) which I believe is 105 C on those caps. Also an equivalent microfarad or above and same with voltage obviously but I assumed he was doing that already. I prefer to keep them on spec with the last two but have sometimes used 3300 microfarad 6.3v to replace the older 1500 microfarad 6.3v caps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1