OGXbox.com

Aftermarket power cables

FrostyMaGee

Has anyone run across a decent aftermarket power cable? All of the cables I’ve seen in the last few years have seemed like they use way too small a gauge of wire, don’t seem to have nearly enough insulation on them, and generally feel extremely flimsy. Just curious if anyone has found one that doesn’t seem like it might split in half or burst in to flames. Lol. Also if you have used any of the aforementioned how did they perform long term?

11 minutes ago, Marty said:

It's a common cable on many electrical devices (boom boxes, radios, printers....etc...)

You should be able to find a decent one at a thrift shop, that's where I buy them. Usually $2 or $3.

That’s a great idea. Thanks! I’d been snagging them off ps2 lots that were parts and occasionally radios. I hadn’t thought about printers, boomboxes, and some other electronics. Any of those would be better than the flimsy crap I’ve seen sold as aftermarket Xbox power cables. Lol

The IEC C7 'Figure 8' also known, apparently, as 'Shotgun' or 'Infinity' is a ubiquitous power cable type used for almost everything with a power draw of <500W.

They use, typically, a pair of  0.75mm² core wires and in the UK are fitted with mains plugs with a 3 Amp fuse.

Watts = Amps x Volts so that means it should be good for up to 750W equipment but you should [b]always[/b] play safe and never use it for more than 66% of its rated fuse capacity.

0.75mm² core wire itself is rated for 'up to' 6 Amps but this rating varies with length and use conditions but it is generally stated as being OK for up to 1440W equipment.

In short with the original Xbox's <100W power draw the cable is, assuming it is of good quality and meets the specified electrical standards, is actually way over spec.

The replacement MS Xbox power cable, issued to all Xbox owners who applied at the time is even more over spec. The UK/EU version does include a useful inline switch which may or may not have a circuit breaker/RCD function too.

The only problem I've had with any Figure 8 cable is when the connector plug itself is badly manufactured and does not locate firmly enough in the receiving socket. That can lead to it becoming loose and electrical arcing a possibility.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

For real! It’s actually kind of surprising given how they did other stuff. 

I actually bought 30 power cables off eBay and the one I last pulled outta the bag was very well made and actually had some ferrite rings near the Xbox end. I was impressed with whatever cable this was.

16973088183096840494431602947436.jpg

6 hours ago, prtscn said:

like this?

also improves sound qulity, i guess xD.

I've read plenty of audiophile magazines before and know exactly what I'm seeing and why. Lol, hey, they say they can hear the difference...

5 hours ago, HDShadow said:

The IEC C7 'Figure 8' also known, apparently, as 'Shotgun' or 'Infinity' is a ubiquitous power cable type used for almost everything with a power draw of <500W.

They use, typically, a pair of  0.75mm² core wires and in the UK are fitted with mains plugs with a 3 Amp fuse.

Watts = Amps x Volts so that means it should be good for up to 750W equipment but you should [b]always[/b] play safe and never use it for more than 66% of its rated fuse capacity.

0.75mm² core wire itself is rated for 'up to' 6 Amps but this rating varies with length and use conditions but it is generally stated as being OK for up to 1440W equipment.

In short with the original Xbox's <100W power draw the cable is, assuming it is of good quality and meets the specified electrical standards, is actually way over spec.

The replacement MS Xbox power cable, issued to all Xbox owners who applied at the time is even more over spec. The UK/EU version does include a useful inline switch which may or may not have a circuit breaker/RCD function too.

The only problem I've had with any Figure 8 cable is when the connector plug itself is badly manufactured and does not locate firmly enough in the receiving socket. That can lead to it becoming loose and electrical arcing a possibility.      

Thank you for the thorough explanation. I wish all cables were as overbuilt as this explanation. :)

4 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I actually bought 30 power cables off eBay and the one I last pulled outta the bag was very well made and actually had some ferrite rings near the Xbox end. I was impressed with whatever cable this was.

16973088183096840494431602947436.jpg

I have a couple like that as well. They’re nice and sturdy. I think some revision of Xbox must’ve come with that type as I’ve had a decent amount of those over the years that were accompanied by that type cable with the ferrite ring. 

That's what I wanna know. All of mine went to hell just months after getting them. There are two left that I keep cobbled together with rat tail splices and tape, I don't touch them for months, and yet somehow in that time another part of the wiring inside self destructs. Are these things actually being designed to fail?

Reminds me of one time I bought a General Electric audio extension cord at best buy. It stopped working a year later cuz the wires inside literally turned to dust. I was like holy shet... What are they alloying the copper with, crushed chalk? Last time I ever bought any of that garbage brand's designed-to-fail trash.

5 minutes ago, fox said:

That's what I wanna know. All of mine went to hell just months after getting them. There are two left that I keep cobbled together with rat tail splices and tape, I don't touch them for months, and yet somehow in that time another part of the wiring inside self destructs. Are these things actually being designed to fail?

Reminds me of one time I bought a General Electric audio extension cord at best buy. It stopped working a year later cuz the wires inside literally turned to dust. I was like holy shet... What are they alloying the copper with, crushed chalk? Last time I ever bought any of that garbage brand's designed-to-fail trash.

That’s definitely the feeling I’ve gotten looking at the aftermarket kind of the last five or so years. “Designed to fail trash” is definitely an apt moniker. Lol.  I’d really be curious if anyone has had one last for more than six months to a year with regular use. My guess is no based on the cheapness and tiny gauge wire.