OGXbox.com

RGB-S/SCART Output

jeffl

I would like to dedicate one of my xboxes to 8 and 16-bit emulation. I own a Sony 2030 PVM that is 240p/480i only. My understanding is that the xbox can output a component signal over SCART which doesn't help me as the monitor doesn't support component. Can a modded xbox be configured to output RGB-S over SCART? If so, how?

xbox is not capable of 240p output.

15khz RGB output is awful on xbox (RGB scart). Best video quality is via component output.

What do you mean by scart, its just a plug standard and you solder wires as you wish (rgb, component, composite, svideo).

use wii for 240p emulation.

I wouldn't recommend RGB signal for 8bit, 16bit games. Since games rely on dithering tricks. Composite all the way.

1 minute ago, prtscn said:

xbox is not capable of 240p output.

15khz RGB output is awful on xbox (RGB scart). Best video quality is via component output.

What do you mean by scart, its just a plug standard and you solder wires as you wish (rgb, component, composite, svideo).

use wii for 240p emulation.

I wouldn't recommend RGB signal for 8bit, 16bit games. Since games rely on dithering tricks. Composite all the way.

How well does the Xbox scale to 240p? I know that there is an RF adapter for the Xbox, and I wanted to know if I could use that for emulation for now until I get my little wad of cash and buy a few retro consoles with everdrives. I have a nice little Daewoo 240 monitor with RF input at 240 and I was wondering if that would scale okay.

7 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

How well does the Xbox scale to 240p? I know that there is an RF adapter for the Xbox, and I wanted to know if I could use that for emulation for now until I get my little wad of cash and buy a few retro consoles with everdrives. I have a nice little Daewoo 240 monitor with RF input at 240 and I was wondering if that would scale okay.

xbox doesn't do 240p at all. WII could be a neat and faithful 240p emulator.

240p is a tricked 480i signal.

• 2 months later...

I am no expert on analog video signals but I can share my understanding. 240p is a hack used by early consoles to obtain a progressive signal. Rather than drawing alternating fields like 480i, consoles instructed the beam to draw every other line. This resulted in a smoother image than the flickery 480i. Ideally we'd want the Xbox to do 240p for emulation but it looks like the consensus is that even modded xboxes cannot do this.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...