OGXbox.com

Aladdin chip

lopenator

bought a 7$ Aladdin chip off AliExpress. when I try to boot from it nothing happens. is there anything I can do? Can I try to flash it with something using hot swap? What's the point of this chip? 

d0 is grounded to mobo not chip and my other Aladin chip boots. That one is running xblastOS. Can anything be done or does this chip belong in trash?

Edited by lopenator
  • Like 1

I hope it isn`t from Jax, because that nitwit sends a lot of faulty ones. But you need to give some more information to say something helpful.

- Is the light on the chip on
- Does the system FRAG?
- Did you solder a wire onto the chip from BT to ground? https://imgur.com/gallery/DS9KBbn
- is D0 connected to a good ground point, like the screwplate?

50 minutes ago, UltimateMe said:

I hope it isn`t from Jax, because that nitwit sends a lot of faulty ones. But you need to give some more information to say something helpful.

- Is the light on the chip on
- Does the system FRAG?
- Did you solder a wire onto the chip from BT to ground? https://imgur.com/gallery/DS9KBbn
- is D0 connected to a good ground point, like the screwplate?

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No, I typically dont do this.

4.Yes

EDIT. I just sodlered BT to the LPC connection on the chip to enable "always on" and it does boot now. thanks. Didnt need to do that with my xblast one. These chips are so weird.

Edited by lopenator

9 hours ago, lopenator said:

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No, I typically dont do this.

4.Yes

EDIT. I just sodlered BT to the LPC connection on the chip to enable "always on" and it does boot now. thanks. Didnt need to do that with my xblast one. These chips are so weird.

That's why I avoid them. I'd rather just spend a few bucks more to get an XBlast from @Dtomcat18 or @sweetdarkdestiny. Chips really only serve a purpose for personal use anyway, as opposed to selling a console. A TSOP flash serves the same purpose here as a single bank Aladdin does, so they're pretty pointless unless you're putting it in a 1.6 :)

3 minutes ago, lopenator said:

yeah this Aladin has evox on it. I got it working though after soldering bt to always be on.

I am glad you got it working. But I'm saying that you could just flash the TSOP with Cerbios and bypass the Aladdin entirely since it only has one 256k bank. You know? Unless you get one as a backup, maybe?

On 9/8/2023 at 4:45 AM, lopenator said:

I was able to reflash the aliexpress aladdin with cerbios. very happy lol

Unfortunately there are a lot of people bashing on the Aladdin chips, but luckily there are a lot of good ones, which are flashable from the Xbox instead of an external programmer.

Flashing it with Cerbios is a good way to go! Also some Aladdins have the option to switch the chip with an 1MB version and install Xblast OS on it (also read the first comment): 

Edited by UltimateMe

7 hours ago, UltimateMe said:

Unfortunately there are a lot of people bashing on the Aladdin chips, but luckily there are a lot of good ones, which are flashable from the Xbox instead of an external programmer.

Flashing it with Cerbios is a good way to go! Also some Aladdins have the option to switch the chip with an 1MB version and install Xblast OS on it: 

This is what I want to start doing before I build OpenXeniums. However, I would like to actually build the Aladdins instead of buying them from Ali. Although I may buy 20 Aladdins or so and sell them as xblasts just to raise a little "modchip fund" for myself :) But building the chips myself would be good SMD practice for me! Thank you for posting this video!