OGXbox.com

Picking CPU to practice upgrades with

Bowlsnapper

Well, overclocking has way too many problems to be worth it. You called it @MadMartiganSome are worth it, like the one I have at 827MHZ right now, but I'd rather get good at RAM upgrades and interposer installs. But I would have to do it with a hot air gun for now. I need a reball kit for the interposer and solder balls, I think .78MM leaded. I will get with him for the temps. on both. I promised myself I would do this and the RAM installs, so I'm doing it, come hell or high water. I have a 1GHZ coppermine with 256k of L2 cache. Should be sufficient. It was only 20 bucks.

If anybody has suggestions for doing this the first time, I would appreciate it a lot ... I will be ignoring suggestions that say don't do it and you're stupid for trying... You know who you are 😛

lol, we'll see when I actually get around to it. 😜 I just killed two boards trying to do a stupid ram upgrade. Lol. Wow man.

3 minutes ago, trencherfield said:

I've got some of the BGA495 coppermines that come on that green interposer, like 850mhz and some 900mhz ones, all 100FSB and reputedly overclock well. So because they are peanuts they are good to practice with. Will need to lower the FSB for booting and go from there. They should run a lot higher than that though.

Are those aside from the 3 I saw, or are you talking about those? and yeah, if you start with a lower FSB, you can overclock great since the memory won't be holding you up.

You have any idea how low the FSB will go before memory starts to bottleneck?

Yeah aside from the 3 slot 1's @133fsb. I've been buying any I see, different types, some 850's, 900's, 1000's (100FSB) as well. Then got some Tualatins and Celerons etc various speeds and FSB's. Think Friendtech actually used a 1.4ghz celeron 100fsb chip I read somewhere recently.

Probably got over 35 xbox's waiting for refurbing so can have a play without worrying too much, they were cheap that I picked up over a long time.

Can't say on the FSB, will just have to suck it and see what we get if I can get any working.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trencherfield said:

Yeah aside from the 3 slot 1's @133fsb. I've been buying any I see, different types, some 850's, 900's, 1000's (100FSB) as well. Then got some Tualatins and Celerons etc various speeds and FSB's. Think Friendtech actually used a 1.4ghz celeron 100fsb chip I read somewhere recently.

Probably got over 35 xbox's waiting for refurbing so can have a play without worrying too much, they were cheap that I picked up over a long time.

Can't say on the FSB, will just have to suck it and see what we get if I can get any working.

I hmmm, I wonder why he chose a 100mhz fsb processor since they were all 1.4? I don't think the bioses were under clocked with the bios... That's a lot of damn xboxes. I get a hard time just for 5 sitting around. Lol.

I'll try to pick up at least one slot processor if I can find one for a good price when I have something to spend.