OGXbox.com

Ftping

Maddoc

Before you flash a bios to a xenium chip what ftp cable do you need,  looking at tutorials some say connect ftp cable from xbox to pc other tutorials say to ftp to xbox you need a crossover cable, which is it??  I have neither and beforeni buy one i need to know precisly which one is needed?   As being a noob precise info like this is needed to avoid mistakes or buying needless items. 

Thanking you in advance. 

2 hours ago, Maddoc said:

Before you flash a bios to a xenium chip what ftp cable do you need,  looking at tutorials some say connect ftp cable from xbox to pc other tutorials say to ftp to xbox you need a crossover cable, which is it??  I have neither and beforeni buy one i need to know precisly which one is needed?   As being a noob precise info like this is needed to avoid mistakes or buying needless items. 

Thanking you in advance. 

Crossover cables were used years ago on old computers.  Newer computers feature Auto MDI-X which does the crossover for you.  Unless your computer is 15-20 years old you wont need a crossover cable.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RMM said:

Crossover cables were used years ago on old computers.  Newer computers feature Auto MDI-X which does the crossover for you.  Unless your computer is 15-20 years old you wont need a crossover cable.

2 hours ago, RMM said:

Any Ethernet cable should work just fine.

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2023 at 3:32 PM, Marty said:

The only time you'd need a crossover cable would be if you're connecting your XBOX to a computer or nic that isn't gigabit-speed capable.

If you're plugging the XBOX into a router or networked switch or a modern nic, you'll be fine.

I think the only time you need it is if you have an older computer without mdix and no router... And always need one when ftping two xboxes directly together.

• Like 1

A cross-over cable is really nothing special it is simply an ethernet cable with some of the wires reverse connected to one of the plugs.

You can turn any standard 'patch' ethernet cable into a cross-over by cutting off the plug one end, teasing out the sets of internal wires' twisted pairs, connecting them, opposite to opposite in a new plug you then crimp in place.

DIY ethernet plugs, preferably shielded ones, are easily found online and all you need is some decent wire strippers and a good crimping tool.

For some odd reason some designers of such tools use a 'comb' for pressing the plug's penetrator connectors through the wires. That means each tooth of the comb needs to be precisely position over each penetrator. In the cheapest ones there is too much play and when you crimp one, or more of the penetrators is pushed at an angle so it doesn't go through the centre of the wire or misses it altogether.

I'd also recommend, if you can find them, using pass-through ethernet plugs rather than the standard, more ubiquitous sealed end ones.

The pass through type have exit holes for each wire going into the plug which means you can get them straighter and flatter inside the plug before crimping. That makes it less likely you'll get a bad crimp. If the crimpers are designed for pass-through plugs they will slice off the ends cleanly as part of the crimping action.

• Thanks 2