OGXbox.com

Dashboard Upgrading

Zion Da Wolfo

With both hard mods and softmods you can change the boot dashboard a couple of different ways depending on what kind of mod you have.  A hard mod like Cerbios for example has an .ini file that has a boot order for 3 different dashboards.  It looks for the first dashboard on the list to boot and if it is not there Cerbios will look to boot the 2nd dashboard on the list and if it is not there it will look to boot the 3rd on the list.  You can edit this list of dashboard to whatever you want and you can set the boot order to whatever you want so it boots the dashboard of your choosing when you turn on the Xbox.  If you decide you dont like that dash on boot, you could always edit the .ini file to something else.

Likewise, an Xbox using Rocky5's softmod has a boot order built in as well.  Rocky5 included a tool Dashloader Customizer that can change the boot dashboard to something you prefer.   If you want UnleashX to boot you can do that.  You can boot different dashboards by holding buttons on your Xbox controller if you want.  If you decide you dont like it, you can change it.  No need to delete any dashboards you already have.  If fact its probably a good idea to have a couple of different dashboards on your hard drive in case you mess up the files in one of them. You would have a second or third dashboard to fall back to.

https://consolemods.org/wiki/Xbox:Dashloader

Edit:  Just as an FYI, here is the boot order for a Rocky5 softmodded Xbox:

C:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
    E:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
    F:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
    C:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
    E:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
    F:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
    C:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
    E:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
    F:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
    C:\XBMC\default.xbe
    E:\XBMC\default.xbe
    F:\XBMC\default.xbe
    C:\dashboard\default.xbe
    E:\dashboard\default.xbe
    F:\dashboard\default.xbe
    C:\dash\default.xbe
    E:\dash\default.xbe
    F:\dash\default.xbe
    E:\default.xbe
    E:\dashboard.xbe
    C:\evoxdash.xbe
    E:\evoxdash.xbe
    C:\XBMC.xbe
    E:\XBMC.xbe

Edited by RMM
added Rocky5 softmod load order

My suggestion would be not to delete any dashboard for now.  Instead install whatever dashboard you would like to try such as UnleashX.  Use dashloader customizer to boot UnleashX on startup and see how you like it.  If you decide UnleashX is the dash you want and you wouldnt use XBMC4Gamers, then go ahead and delete XBMC4Gamers at that point.

• Like 1

UnleashX can be installed as an app very simply too. So you can keep the current primary dash then switch to UnleashX as required.

I'm interested as to why the OP wants to this main dash swap.

Most of my primary dashboards have been and are UnleashX for many reasons like its file manager. But a significant one is also because I've created/edited a whole load of skins for it over the years and spent a lot of time getting them as good as possible. It is an on going project I go back to regularly when I have spare time but don't fancy a game.

BUT for any multi-media use XBMC is simply better. UnleashX's music player has a broken GUI so when I wanted to set up a Xbox for 'kitchen' use where music playing and the occasional DVD primarily, using XBMC as the main dash was a no brainer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2023 at 10:29 PM, HDShadow said:

UnleashX can be installed as an app very simply too. So you can keep the current primary dash then switch to UnleashX as required.

I'm interested as to why the OP wants to this main dash swap.

Most of my primary dashboards have been and are UnleashX for many reasons like its file manager. But a significant one is also because I've created/edited a whole load of skins for it over the years and spent a lot of time getting them as good as possible. It is an on going project I go back to regularly when I have spare time but don't fancy a game.

BUT for any multi-media use XBMC is simply better. UnleashX's music player has a broken GUI so when I wanted to set up a Xbox for 'kitchen' use where music playing and the occasional DVD primarily, using XBMC as the main dash was a no brainer.

Okay thanks for the information, I think i will do this.

3 hours ago, Zion Da Wolfo said:

Okay thanks for the information, I think i will do this.

I use XBMC. Any software or music or whatever I want it to recognize, I can just point it to by browsing and then saying okay. It takes a bit of work but I can make it a perfectly fine dashboard. If I need to do something it doesn't, I just load avalaunch or Unleash. Really the only thing I have UnleashX for is the text editor for editing .ini files or .xml files. Since I can add all the links I need to the browswers in XBMC, I don't have to edit an ini file or anything to edit file paths and I can just do all that within the dash... and I can just put on some music in 5 seconds if I wish and still puts around the dash while I listen. Not bad. :)

• Like 1