OGXbox.com

Wtf kind of modchip is this?

Bowlsnapper

Scored a 1.0 on eBay for repair. The current HDD doesn't spin at all and needs to be replaced and that's the only problem. But I found this WEIRD SST carriage(is what I'm calling it. It's just hooked up straight to the lpc) and I've never seen it before. Have you guys? 

It's solderless and it works, it has the X2 bios on it. I don't know if I should try to flash it with the OGXbox installer disk or just do an XBlast lite install since it DOES have the 1meg TSOP and would be able to take advantage of the TSOP management features.

Any thoughts?

16898931337916869601562442553480.jpg

16898931471397473531245269823322.jpg

3 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Scored a 1.0 on eBay for repair. The current HDD doesn't spin at all and needs to be replaced and that's the only problem. But I found this WEIRD SST carriage(is what I'm calling it. It's just hooked up straight to the lpc) and I've never seen it before. Have you guys? 

It's solderless and it works, it has the X2 bios on it. I don't know if I should try to flash it with the OGXbox installer disk or just do an XBlast lite install since it DOES have the 1meg TSOP and would be able to take advantage of the TSOP management features.

Any thoughts?

16898931337916869601562442553480.jpg

16898931471397473531245269823322.jpg

Matrix Xodus

here is some info

http://web.archive.org/web/20040716181333/http://dwl.xbox-scene.net/~xbox/xbox-scene/tutorials/ManualV1.1.pdf

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bowlsnapper said:

This thing looks like one of the first chips ever made. lmao. It definitely looks old.

Not exactly one of the first modchips. The earliest I could think of were the Xtender and the Enigmah which require 29/30 wires soldered to the TSOP points.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, SylverReZ said:

Not exactly one of the first modchips. The earliest I could think of were the Xtender and the Enigmah which require 29/30 wires soldered to the TSOP points.

Yep the 1st mod chip was a prom (Program Read Only Memory) or eprom (Erasable Read Only Memory) that had 29 wires then the next was a eeprom ( Electrically Erasable Read Only Memory) (cheap mod) that soldered direct to the LPC port.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I remember those... And I remember thinking what a nightmare that would be. Lol.

When I did a upgrade to my commodore computer floppy drive to add the faster data transfer that was a eprom replacement for the drive and mother board. Non of this re-flashing like now.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

When I did a upgrade to my commodore computer floppy drive to add the faster data transfer that was a eprom replacement for the drive and mother board. Non of this re-flashing like now.

Cheers

SS Dave

Dude, that means somebody actually preflashed it... Or it was an OEM part, which is cool. :)

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, it appears that this Xbox frags when attempting to boot with the modchip off. Either the TSOP is corrupt or D0 is still being enabled... Even though it's a contactless chip... The D0 via is pretty scratched up... Id like to TSOP it, but cannot in this current state... What would you guys do?

I guess I could flash the 512k flash with XBlast? I want to keep the chip though for historical preservation!

Edit. I flashed the Matrix Xodus using XBlast with Cerbios OCd and it works fine. FUCK I love XBlast.

I still want to keep the chip though... Maybe I can put a cheap mod chip in here and keep the matrix.

@sweetdarkdestiny should I try one of your EEPROMs? Try to solder it on? Maybe try to reprogram the TSOP that's on there? Don't know if the TSOP TSOP chip currently on the board is even fully functional.