OGXbox.com

XblastOS on OpenXenium?!?!

dtomcat

7 hours ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Technically it’s the same. 3x 256 is the same as 512 and 256.  With last being 256 OS

The way I read it he has replaced the Xenium OS with the Xblast OS

A Xblast eeprom is 1024kb X  8bit and the OS is in the 1st 256 kb and the remaining is 1 X256kb and 1 X512kb

A Xenium eeprom is 2048kb X 8bit and the OS and skin is in the 1st 1024kb and the rest is the 4 X 256kb banks

A full Xenium re-flash including the skin and OS with 4 X 256kb bios files is 2meg

Unless he has just used one of the Xenium bios banks for Xblast like this then Whoopie

Xenium-falsh.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

34 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

Yea.  My bad on space.   Difference (my understanding)….  XblastOS doesn’t play well with OX.  Like can’t use it to test ram install for instance. If replacing XOS with xblast… I’m guessing that would now work ?

Yes that is correct 

In my view it's easier to just flash a Aladdin chip with Xblast

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

I would say it is way more interesting to make changes to XBlastOS and change the XBlast-Lite layout to fit a S29GL064S70TFI040 (8M x 8 / 4M x 16) flash to it. Not to sure if the 9572XL-10VQG44C could handle the bigger flash or if it also would need to be upgraded to a 10VQG64C but that is something which crosses my mind latley. This could give team resurgend also more room for there maybe upcoming XBLastOS mod (For got the name of it so shame on me). 

I’m working on implementing Ryzee’s banking logic. He has an OpenXOS branch that was being worked on.

This was just fucking around as I learn more about the chips design and the OS’s differences from Cromwell as at this point Xblast is a fork loL

19 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Looking at that pic I wonder why you would dumb down a working chip and it's not even able to have extra bios banks

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The way I read it he has replaced the Xenium OS with the Xblast OS

A Xblast eeprom is 1024kb X  8bit and the OS is in the 1st 256 kb and the remaining is 1 X256kb and 1 X512kb

A Xenium eeprom is 2048kb X 8bit and the OS and skin is in the 1st 1024kb and the rest is the 4 X 256kb banks

A full Xenium re-flash including the skin and OS with 4 X 256kb bios files is 2meg

Unless he has just used one of the Xenium bios banks for Xblast like this then Whoopie

Xenium-falsh.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Nope! Replaced the Cromwell/RTOS bootloader from a flash dump with a recompiled build. Funnily enough it ‘runs’ out of the box. But I’m trying to ensure that it works with the chip itself so I’m replacing/moving some code from Ryzees Cromwell, to this.

• Like 1

I recently did a ram upgrade using Xenium Ice by Nemesis with Xblast on one of the banks. I found that even with the console not booting with not all ram chips on board, I was able to get into the Xenium Menu by pressing and then holding eject after frag and launch the Xblast bios to do the ram tests. 

Obviously I did this till all 4 passed.

Basically did this without any Xblast chip.

Edited by Plato
Spelling
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Plato said:

I recently did a ram upgrade using Xenium Ice by Nemesis with Xblast on one of the banks. I found that even with the console not booting with not all ram chips on board, I was able to get into the Xenium Menu by pressing and then holding eject after frag and launch the Xblast bios to do the ram tests. 

Obviously I did this till all 4 passed.

Basically did this without any Xblast chip.

Aren't frags pretty much fatal?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Aren't frags pretty much fatal?

No.

'Frags' has somewhat become a generic term, when really there are of course different boot errors that flash on the LED ring. FRAG refers to 'flashing red and green' which generally indicates the hardware is okay to a point and that the BIOS has a problem - the lack of greater than 64mb ram sequentially in this instance for the BIOS unsupported, whilst Xblast does.
Other Errors can flash red/orange or red only (usually hardware) etc.

It was known you could get Xenium OS to boot by doing the above while adding ram.

4 hours ago, trencherfield said:

No.

'Frags' has somewhat become a generic term, when really there are of course different boot errors that flash on the LED ring. FRAG refers to 'flashing red and green' which generally indicates the hardware is okay to a point and that the BIOS has a problem - the lack of greater than 64mb ram sequentially in this instance for the BIOS unsupported, whilst Xblast does.
Other Errors can flash red/orange or red only (usually hardware) etc.

It was known you could get Xenium OS to boot by doing the above while adding ram.

I will try this in a bit to see if I can get XBlast to boot on the console I'm trying to add ram to.

That's the issue, if a ram chip has a problem, then it probably won't work to get to the Xenium OS as its now a hardware error. Still easier just to flash xblast on a dumb chip like an aladdin. Might be a flakey glitch and only works on certain boards/setups. Never bothered testing it myself having so many chips available. Might try it next ram upgrade and see.

Did you try holding the eject button after the frag?

Xbox rebooted between frags I think 3 times. Then it would stay on, all lights flashing. I just kept pressing then holding eject. OX eventually came up. I know the image doesn't prove much but I ran Xenium Ice in the whole time.

Video link attached here. Shows xenium booting up with failure on ram chip 4.

https://youtube.com/shorts/nTs6EYBQZwQ?feature=share

Screenshot_20230729_081345_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 2:18 AM, trencherfield said:

That's the issue, if a ram chip has a problem, then it probably won't work to get to the Xenium OS as its now a hardware error. Still easier just to flash xblast on a dumb chip like an aladdin. Might be a flakey glitch and only works on certain boards/setups. Never bothered testing it myself having so many chips available. Might try it next ram upgrade and see.

I think it was flaky glutch but I got lucky. 

I intended to flash Xblast to an old Duox2 but the chip wouldn't fit past the hdd connector.

So I decided to do the install blind and test the xbox till it boots. I physically couldn't see any issues after the ram install and out of frustration with frags, I started pressing/holding eject and bam! The OS came up.

FYI, console works a treat now.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 9:18 AM, trencherfield said:

My mobo died. I lost power to the LPC after I tried to remove the RAM chip and resolder. Gonzo.

7 minutes ago, trencherfield said:

Are the pads and tracks lifted at the ram? Might be saved if you can clean it up and just use it as a 64mb standard console?

The TSOP was dead upon arrival so I rescued it with the lpc... I killed the lpc doing the ram install and the board is done for.