OGXbox.com

1.6 clock cap removal

lopenator

2 minutes ago, prtscn said:

gold caps are fine. Not needed. :)

not needed.... maybe, but possible to do now

now you can pull it out and never think about it again. super caps have a higher chance of leaking than regular caps regardless.

no reason to have it unless you want to use the clock.

Edited by lopenator

2 minutes ago, lopenator said:

not needed.... maybe, but possible to do now

now you can pull it out and never think about it again. super caps have a higher chance of leaking than regular caps regardless.

no reason to have it unless you want to use the clock.

No leakage was ever recorded from this capacitor. Any mod is welcome.

there have been reports of failed clock caps. maybe not leaking yet. 1.6 is the latest rev with the newest caps. in the future they may start to leak and if it does leak, the ide and lpc traces are right there waiting to be rotted away. a much worse demise than earlier revisions.

people can remove the cap or replace it. up to them doesn't matter to me. I'm just sharing this news.

Edited by lopenator

1 minute ago, lopenator said:

there have been reports of failed clock caps. maybe not leaking yet. in the future they may start to leak and if it does leak, the ide and lpc traces are right there waiting to be rotted away. a much worse demise than earlier revisions.

black ones leak for sure at 100% rate. But goldies, never seen one.

1 hour ago, prtscn said:

No leakage was ever recorded from this capacitor. Any mod is welcome.

46 minutes ago, prtscn said:

black ones leak for sure at 100% rate. But goldies, never seen one.

Well here you go and it's leaking just like the Aerogel version from the component lead and unless you remove it you will not know until it' too late

1-6-gold-cap.jpg

41 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

If it’s a cap.  It will leak. So fair to say you seen no gold caps leak yet

Correct..

This is a 20 year old BMW car radio and that has no audio and from the top the capacitor looked fine.

BMW-radio-trace-damage.jpg

I have also had this style of capacitor leaking.

SMD-cap.jpg

So if it's a electrolytic capacitor it can leak and cause corroded traces

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, lopenator said:

thanks to redherring32 we are now able to safely remove the clock cap in a 1.6 rev xbox.

research and testing done by redherring32

RDT_20230703_1436494525038188372955664.jpg

Or you can fit a LED in place of the clock cap or I fit a 220 ohm resistor in place of the clock cap and that board has been in regular use for over 12 months 

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Well here you go and it's leaking just like the Aerogel version from the component lead and unless you remove it you will not know until it' too late

1-6-gold-cap.jpg

Correct..

This is a 20 year old BMW car radio and that has no audio and from the top the capacitor looked fine.

BMW-radio-trace-damage.jpg

I have also had this style of capacitor leaking.

SMD-cap.jpg

So if it's a electrolytic capacitor it can leak and cause corroded traces

Cheers

SS Dave

So replace with polymer caps and be done with it for eternity? 😛

30 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Or you can fit a LED in place of the clock cap or I fit a 220 ohm resistor in place of the clock cap and that board has been in regular use for over 12 months 

Cheers

SS Dave

That's sick. I wanna put an LED there now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

That's sick. I wanna put an LED there now.

You could think of the LED as a standby led.

I might try that in a 1.1 as well just for the hell of it..

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 12:19 AM, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

Will an LED or resistor draw more power from the board than the capacitor would? If no, then thats a very good solution

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SakisTheDrifter said:

Will an LED or resistor draw more power from the board than the capacitor would? If no, then thats a very good solution

Not enough to cause any problems 

I read of one person from Facebook mod scene that's had a 1.6 with a LED in place of the clock cap for several years and I have a 1,6 that a has a 220 ohm resistor fitted for at least 12 months and it gets regular use and is connected to the mains power 24/7.

A single LED draws 10ma to 30ma depending on the brightness  and can run from a coin battery like a CR2025 for hours.

Cheers

SS Dave

10 hours ago, lopenator said:

a resistor is just a short with impedance though. I'm no ee but is that really okay? 

i used redherrings method as it's just as easy as any of the other options.

I see more damaged boards coming as 75% of new Xbox modifiers struggle to fit a mod chip in a 1,6 or add two solder links to a 1.0-1.4 for the bios chip write enable let alone remove SMD resistors and then solder a wire to a SMD component.

The 200ohm resistor is not a complete short and I have read about heaps of people just adding a link in place of a clock cap in the version 1.6 without any damage.

I'm no ee but is that really okay?

What?

Cheers

SS Dave

electrical engineer.

and to be fair, if you cannot solder you shouldn't attempt to hard mod your xbox. if you cannot bridge two tiny pads for a tsop you definitely shouldn't try to do it. I don't understand why people attempt it. just send it to someone who knows how to use a iron.

Edited by lopenator
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Not enough to cause any problems 

I read of one person from Facebook mod scene that's had a 1.6 with a LED in place of the clock cap for several years and I have a 1,6 that a has a 220 ohm resistor fitted for at least 12 months and it gets regular use and is connected to the mains power 24/7.

A single LED draws 10ma to 30ma depending on the brightness  and can run from a coin battery like a CR2025 for hours.

Cheers

SS Dave

the LED will draw as much current as 3V3 standby will supply, unless you also have a current limiting resistor in place. likely much higher than 30mA. this will waste a small amount of power all the time and also decrease the life-expectancy of the LED. the 200 ohm resistor would waste less power (16mA / 54mW), but a larger resistor would probably work fine and waste even less. both of those options should work "fine," but i think they are worse than dropping in a smaller cap or doing redherring's standby voltage -> clock cap trick.

10 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I see more damaged boards coming as 75% of new Xbox modifiers struggle to fit a mod chip in a 1,6 or add two solder links to a 1.0-1.4 for the bios chip write enable let alone remove SMD resistors and then solder a wire to a SMD component.

The 200ohm resistor is not a complete short and I have read about heaps of people just adding a link in place of a clock cap in the version 1.6 without any damage.

What?

Cheers

SS Dave

I was wondering if just a straight wire would work.