OGXbox.com

FRAG w/ no video on first attempt at OpenXenium install...

ka5ug4

I'm trying my hand at both soldering (never done it before) and hardmodding by installing an OpenXenium chip onto my 1.0 Xbox.

As the title states, I'm getting nothing after my first attempt. My initial assumption was that I probably have a cold solder point on the LPC debug header, although the single wire could cause harm (I doubt that ones bad though.)

I remembered, however, that due to it not being used, I left pin 15 filled, as I was struggling to get it opened. While I doubt it, could that be causing any issues? Here's a picture of the joints for easier assessment:

IMG20230627201021_1.thumb.jpg.1cf5bfb0451e5a4e4922d94883f73d51.jpg

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edited by ka5ug4
Further info.

2 hours ago, ka5ug4 said:

I'm trying my hand at both soldering (never done it before) and hardmodding by installing an OpenXenium chip onto my 1.0 Xbox.

As the title states, I'm getting nothing after my first attempt. My initial assumption was that I probably have a cold solder point on the LPC debug header, although the single wire could cause harm (I doubt that ones bad though.)

I remembered, however, that due to it not being used, I left pin 15 filled, as I was struggling to get it opened. While I doubt it, could that be causing any issues? Here's a picture of the joints for easier assessment:

I may be hallucinating, but your D0 is not hooked up, buddy. That'll make it hard for your chip to boot. :) I've attached a photo of the 1.0 D0. Solder it to the D0 pad of the Xenium. D0 is pictured in my top down photo of the chip. Pad is all the way in the top right. 

Also, reflow those pins. Do it with a dab of flux and by sliding the soldering iron around the bases of the pins to try to get the solder to move toward the vias and to try to get rid of those balls. The original xbox already has big enough balls. :) Yeah, you wanna be able to see the shape of each pin instead of having vague balls of solder sticking out. I've attached a photo of what you would ideally want them to look like.

Your pin arrangement is fine. In fact, 13 and 14 are optional. You don't need them for what you're doing. You only need the front 6 rows full. Also, it may be just the angle and a LOT of extra solder combined, but you may have a bridge between pins 12 and 10. 

pin header example.png

1.0 D0.png

OpenXenium top.jpg

5 hours ago, ka5ug4 said:

Just looking at the picture at your top row, are pins 5 and 6 bridged?  Also that 5 pin solder joint looks kind of iffy to me

3 hours ago, RMM said:

Just looking at the picture at your top row, are pins 5 and 6 bridged?  Also that 5 pin solder joint looks kind of iffy to me

I believe those are pins 12 and 10.

All of them look iffy. Although my first X3 install looked like that. And I installed an LPC rebuild so at least I had plenty of solder to work with. I can't remember if I installed the pin header and LPC rebuild at the same time. Probably. lol