OGXbox.com

The next EEPROM Reader/Writer (picoPromSD)

dtomcat

On 12/9/2023 at 3:10 PM, Bowlsnapper said:

Ive done a recovery before on my X3 Box, because it was the same mobo and just a new HDD, but I couldn't do it on the new mobo with a new HDD and I assumed this is why... At the very least I learned that this is why the profile was no longer showing up on the old HDD. 

I wanted to ask them for more account information because I felt like I was missing something and then I decided it was this that was preventing the recovery and what was responsible for the recovery error I was seeing. You can't do it if the HDD Key and serial are not the originals. It will prevent recovery.

Edit: I also had to copy over the Online Key in order for Insignia to communicate with the box. I wrote it into the EEPROM bin and then flashed again with the picoprom. It now connects to Insignia.

So for anybody trying to transfer over a HDD with an XBL profile in it to a new machine:

HDD Key, Serial Number and Online Key.

The you, Cat.

Yup that was my bad, sorry. My brain has been mush for the last couple weeks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I know how it is! It's all good. Insignia is still new. You're working on it and I appreciate it. XBL wasn't meant for all this anyway :)

No, I knew better. I've helped well over a dozen people un-F$*# their eeproms so they'll work with Insignia.

On another note I have 2 of these eeprom programmers and I can't recommend them enough. These are a must have for people with a lot of consoles.

Edited by Harcroft
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harcroft said:

No, I knew better. I've helped well over a dozen people un-F$*# their eeproms so they'll work with Insignia.

On another note I have 2 of these eeprom programmers and I can't recommend them enough. These are a must have for people with a lot of consoles.

It saved my ass for a customer and made an almost impossible process possible with relatively little effort. I LOVE my pico. :)

thanks, tomcat!

For those interested in the HDD password feature (still newly beta feature). The hardest one is WD drives. Those can be seen in this video (

)   Seagates are easier. 
WARNING:  There aren’t any checks to see if input data is valid and will provide a password with data entered.  If data isn’t in correct format, the password will be WRONG. I will eventually write a windows program to make making a valid driveinfo.txt. As for now… do not rely on password feature as there is a lot a room for error and it has only been tested on my hardware and limited testing at that. 

This is off of memory since I’m out of town and do not have my notes. If wrong, I’ll change after I get home. 

SEAGATE

1. Make a text file named driveinfo.txt
2. add model number from label
3. Add drive serial number (no spaces between model and serial number.) 
4. Save file to epbackup folder on microSD card. 
5. Do an EEPROM backup as normal and in the txt file generated… you’ll see HDD Password entry.

WESTERN DIGITAL

1. Make a text file named driveinfo.txt
2. add model number from label
    a. Add “WDC “ (note the space after C) before the model number. 
3. Add drive serial number (no spaces between model and serial number.)
    a. Add “WD-“ before serial number.
    b. Add null characters to end of serial number to make it 20 characters long. In my video… my serial number (including the WD-) was 15 characters, so I added 5 NULL characters.  
4. Save file to epbackup folder on microSD card. 
5. Do an EEPROM backup as normal and in the txt file generated… you’ll see HDD Password entry.

Enjoy and give feedback if it worked or not :)

@gehx@Bowlsnapper@FrostyMaGee@Harcroft

• Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2023 at 10:57 AM, Dtomcat18 said:

Sneak peek at firmware 2.0. 
IMG_8364.mov?ex=65a42d6a&is=6591b86a&hm=

@Bowlsnapper  will be helpful to you if you get those HDDs

If you could put me in contact with the guy, I will pick them up. I can't find his post.

2 hours ago, Dtomcat18 said:

now working on all Seagates (slim and rubber) :)  now to clean up the code

Nice work, my friend! :)

I'm having a really hard time dumping the EEPROM info on a 1.0 box. I have no idea why it won't dump the data?  It's not writing any info to the microsd card...and the red led is the last to light up and stays lit.  The console boots but there's an issue w/ the HDD so it won't boot w/ the original HDD attached.  Might I not be aligning the pins on the pogo adapter up correctly?  I'm making sure the pins are aligned from the front to the back (the way you did it in the youtube vid).

no info to SD card.... sounds like an SD card problem.   Is it Fat32 formatted?

If so... try another card (different manufacturer)... I've had a report of one card type not working... don't remember which brand

2 minutes ago, gehx said:

I'm having a really hard time dumping the EEPROM info on a 1.0 box. I have no idea why it won't dump the data?  It's not writing any info to the microsd card...and the red led is the last to light up and stays lit.  The console boots but there's an issue w/ the HDD so it won't boot w/ the original HDD attached.  Might I not be aligning the pins on the pogo adapter up correctly?  I'm making sure the pins are aligned from the front to the back (the way you did it in the youtube vid).

13 minutes ago, gehx said:

Maybe try the firmware with the 5 second delay? I had problems until I switched to that. ;) It was trying to pull too soon before the EEPROM was ready.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xRSt3tDyy2iW5KY_07mgxoYGst4uto8o/view?usp=drive_link

If you are using the "ND" firmware, try this one instead. Have the reader hooked up to the LPC and then power on the console. The firmware will have the unit wait 5 seconds before attepmting to do anything.

Like Tomcat said, make sure the back pins are making contact.

@Dtomcat18 

Uses these pins :)

9 minutes ago, gehx said:

LPC.png

I tried with a -nd firmware, the card is formatted as fat32 and am getting this output:

PicoPromSD
====================
== Version: 1.3b  ==
====================
Trying to communicate with Xbox EEPROM...
Error - EEPROM not detected.  Please check wires and ensure Xbox is on

Picoprom isn't detecting the xbox...i was able to extract the info from a 1.6 a couple weeks ago w/o any issues...idk what I'm doing wrong...

2 minutes ago, gehx said:

I tried with a -nd firmware, the card is formatted as fat32 and am getting this output:

PicoPromSD
====================
====================

Picoprom isn't detecting the xbox...i was able to extract the info from a 1.6 a couple weeks ago w/o any issues...idk what I'm doing wrong...

Do not use the ND firmware. I can almost guarantee that is why. I had the same problem. Use the regular firmware with the 5 second delay.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xRSt3tDyy2iW5KY_07mgxoYGst4uto8o/view?usp=drive_link

That is weird.  The board is working.   Not sure why nothing is being written to SD card though.  It’s passing that check. 

Try this:

turn Xbox leave it sit for 30 secs to min.  Put power switch on picoPromSD (PPSD) to USB (no usb attached). Put good pressure on PPSD on LPC. Once you have a good connection, slide power switch in PPSD to LPC and try not to move it 

I loaded the firmware linked by bowlsnapper and I tried this as you suggested:

turn Xbox leave it sit for 30 secs to min.  Put power switch on picoPromSD (PPSD) to USB (no usb attached). Put good pressure on PPSD on LPC. Once you have a good connection, slide power switch in PPSD to LPC and try not to move it 

there must be something I'm doing wrong...all I get is this:

PicoPromSD
====================
====================

• Sad 1

Just now, gehx said:

I loaded the firmware linked by bowlsnapper and I tried this as you suggested:

there must be something I'm doing wrong...all I get is this:

PicoPromSD
====================
====================

Okay, Thank you for trying... Are you using the pogo adapter, or a pin header? The only other thing I can think of is that there is a problem with the pogo and it is not connected anymore... but @Dtomcat18has more suggestions than I do. That was really my only one :(

• Haha 1