OGXbox.com

Xbox Slim Case Design

ShinGoutetsu

On 7/14/2023 at 11:55 AM, Dtomcat18 said:

Just let me know if you want help.  Kind of need a break from coding lol

Thanks would really appreciate it. First time trying to create a schematic in fusion 360's pcb software and its a steep learning curve lol.

Effectively its a simple pcb that adds 4 controller ports, power button (using a momentary push button), status led (3mm bicolour common cathode) and female headers the same as the xbox mainboards (for power/eject pcb and controller ports).

There will also be a 4 x 1 right angled pinheader to add lan and hdd activity leds with 2 x 3mm leds soldered onto the pcb and the traces running from the led legs to the pinheader (with required resistors in line).

I've started but the library seems to not have 2 x 6 jst ph hence the below pic showing 2 x 7 ones. I just need to connect up the controller ports (not added yet) and the switch/power led to the connector footprints.

20230718_112108.jpg

26 minutes ago, big F said:

Looks similar to the schematic interface of EasyEDA, which I use.

Fusion 360's is based on Eagle I think, doesn't feel very intuitive to use lol. 

I've managed to get to this point though (with the assistance of ms paint to edit the 2 x 7 pin connectors to 2 x 6). I've also omitted the yellow wire for the controller ports as they aren't really used.

I need to check board dimensions to ensure it fits in the case before sending the info to Dtomcat who has very kindly offered to help.

PCB v4.jpg

Edited by ShinGoutetsu

So, obviously wrong connectors (can't find the JST PDHR ones in fusions libraries for some reason) and the two connectors on the back should ideally be on top.

Also the button is a right angled one (again the library is lacking a lot).

Apart from those couple of issues I'm fairly happy with this, just need to decide on connectors for the breakaway cables.

pcb 3d 4.jpg

pcb 3d 7.jpg

Edited by ShinGoutetsu
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/21/2023 at 12:40 AM, ShinGoutetsu said:

Fusion 360's is based on Eagle I think, doesn't feel very intuitive to use lol. 

I've managed to get to this point though (with the assistance of ms paint to edit the 2 x 7 pin connectors to 2 x 6). I've also omitted the yellow wire for the controller ports as they aren't really used.

I need to check board dimensions to ensure it fits in the case before sending the info to Dtomcat who has very kindly offered to help.

PCB v4.jpg

Dude, you used MS Paint? You're a beast. :) Would love to buy a few when they become available.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

Well after a bit of filing everything fits. Not keen on the screws on top but it was the simplest solution.
Just need to solder the backpack pcb to the oled and do the controller ports and leds and print a power button cap. Still waiting on the front panel pcb too.

20230923_111744.jpg

20230923_111807.jpg

20230923_105914.jpg

This would be a fun project! Are you going to release the design? I have access to resin and PLA printers and can build one. Is the solution to storage just to mount  an SSD to the underside of the lid? Is there threading to do so?

1 minute ago, Bowlsnapper said:

This would be a fun project! Are you going to release the design? I have access to resin and PLA printers and can build one. Is the solution to storage just to mount  an SSD to the underside of the lid? Is there threading to do so?

I'll release the STL files soon, just tweaking them now. It will take a 2.5" storage device to the underside of the lid, I'm using an SSD as i had one lying around. The screws go straight through the holes into the thread on the SSD

47 minutes ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

I'll release the STL files soon, just tweaking them now. It will take a 2.5" storage device to the underside of the lid, I'm using an SSD as i had one lying around. The screws go straight through the holes into the thread on the SSD

That's what it looked like, yeah. What method are you using to print? Can I do it with a PLA printer? What are the dimensions?

And is that the new OLED? :)

Just now, Bowlsnapper said:

That's what it looked like, yeah. What method are you using to print? Can I do it with a PLA printer? What are the dimensions?

Ideally you should print it in either ASA or ABS (or even PA-CF) as it needs to withstand the temps from the PSU/CPU/GPU.

You'll need a big printer too, this is 30cm at it's widest but there are lots of 3D printing companies out there with the right equipment to do this for you

8 minutes ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

Ideally you should print it in either ASA or ABS (or even PA-CF) as it needs to withstand the temps from the PSU/CPU/GPU.

You'll need a big printer too, this is 30cm at it's widest but there are lots of 3D printing companies out there with the right equipment to do this for you

PLA does have problems with heat, I remember...

How much does a printer cost that can do something this large? LMAO. I knew size was going to be an issue. Maybe I should just invest...

Oh, is that the new OLED screen? Also, what about the custom PCB up there? That's for LED's basically, correct?

6 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

PLA does have problems with heat, I remember...

How much does a printer cost that can do something this large? LMAO. I knew size was going to be an issue. Maybe I should just invest...

Oh, is that the new OLED screen?

i think you can get large format printers that are reasonably priced now, maybe not with an enclosure though (which you would need).

The oled is a Newhaven NHD-0420 series. You will need an oled capable openxenium modchip for this.

9 minutes ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

i think you can get large format printers that are reasonably priced now, maybe not with an enclosure though (which you would need).

The oled is a Newhaven NHD-0420 series. You will need an oled capable openxenium modchip for this.

Will the Xeniums that come with the ICE kit suffice? Why is an enclosure necessary? Thank you for the LED pointer. I like the Control Panel under your monitor BTW.

5 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Will the Xeniums that come with the ICE kit suffice? Why is an enclosure necessary? Thank you for the LED pointer. I like the Control Panel under your monitor BTW.

Those xeniums wont have the code required for an OLED unfortunately, Nemesis's are pretty much direct clones of the original xenium ICE.

You'll need an enclosure due to the temps required to print these materials.

That x3cp is there as I am recreating it in CAD ;)

37 minutes ago, ShinGoutetsu said:

Those xeniums wont have the code required for an OLED unfortunately, Nemesis's are pretty much direct clones of the original xenium ICE.

You'll need an enclosure due to the temps required to print these materials.

That x3cp is there as I am recreating it in CAD ;)

Aw damn. You'll probably beat me to it. You'll probably do a much better job than I would anyway. I'm glad you're working on it. :)