OGXbox.com

PAL Splinter Cell or Agent Under Fire in USA for Softmod Purposes

xealous

Read the configuration EEPROM's content with a Raspberry PI or Arduino (edit: or PC).  Load the eeprom.bin file created into LiveInfo_Beta_3-Xbox_v1.6-Yoshihiro to change the Video & XBE Region from PAL, UK and Australia to NTSC, USA.  Save the updated eeprom.bin file and write it back to the Xbox's configuration EEPROM.

Softmod the console using the US version of either NTSC game.

P.S. Have you already changed the power supply unit (PSU) from the 220VAC UK version to a 110/120VAC US version?  

Edit: Wait, where are you located?  What is the mains voltage level where you are at: 110 or 220VAC? 

If it's PSU's input AC requirements are already meet, you don't have to change the PSU.

On 1/4/2021 at 7:28 PM, xealous said:

I have a PAL Xbox, and I need to switch the region. If anyone in the US or maybe Canada could help me out here that would be great. Just trying to avoid the overpriced ebay shipping from the UK.

Assuming the very important PSU supply issue KaosEngineer covered is understood:-

The first question to ask should surely be: is the Xbox modded (soft/hard)?

You can not region change the Xbox otherwise.

What I'm not sure about is whether either of the other two exploitable games which do not need region specific softmod game saves, 007: AUF and MechAssault are region locked games. There are specific release ID versions required but if the NTSC versions play on a PAL Xbox ie. are not region locked, it may be possible to use them to softmod a PAL Xbox.

Never tried that myself as I do not have NTSC versions of either game but even though this is now a fairly niche problem there must be information available about if this is possible.

What I do know is that both 007: AUF and MechAssault PAL versions play on a region changed to NTSC previously PAL Xbox but whether the reverse is case and the game save exploits work for softmodding I've never experimented to find out. But it would be worth xealous trying with the NTSC versions on his PAL Xbox if importing PAL version original game discs is too expensive.

On that subject: I have found one Splinter Cell PAL seller on UK Ebay (just disc no box) who ships worldwide for under £3/$4 and the game itself likewise so total, likely, under $10. That's as cheap or cheaper than importing an Aladdin chip from China/HK. 

The £25+ shipping to the US from the UK in a lot of SC Ebay UK listings is a grotesque, seller benefiting inflated price. In the UK the Royal Mail will ship to the US (Region 3) using their International Standard 'Large Letter' service which specifically mentions CD/DVDs. Cost £4.20/£4 online and Royal Mail prices are at the high end so the £3/$4 cost quoted by that seller is believable as other carriers are often very much cheaper.

Edited by HDShadow

On 1/6/2021 at 8:30 AM, HDShadow said:

Assuming the very important PSU supply issue KaosEngineer covered is understood:-

The first question to ask should surely be: is the Xbox modded (soft/hard)?

You can not region change the Xbox otherwise.

What I'm not sure about is whether either of the other two exploitable games which do not need region specific softmod game saves, 007: AUF and MechAssault are region locked games. There are specific release ID versions required but if the NTSC versions play on a PAL Xbox ie. are not region locked, it may be possible to use them to softmod a PAL Xbox.

Never tried that myself as I do not have NTSC versions of either game but even though this is now a fairly niche problem there must be information available about if this is possible.

What I do know is that both 007: AUF and MechAssault PAL versions play on a region changed to NTSC previously PAL Xbox but whether the reverse is case and the game save exploits work for softmodding I've never experimented to find out. But it would be worth xealous trying with the NTSC versions on his PAL Xbox if importing PAL version original game discs is too expensive.

On that subject: I have found one Splinter Cell PAL seller on UK Ebay (just disc no box) who ships worldwide for under £3/$4 and the game itself likewise so total, likely, under $10. That's as cheap or cheaper than importing an Aladdin chip from China/HK. 

The £25+ shipping to the US from the UK in a lot of SC Ebay UK listings is a grotesque, seller benefiting inflated price. In the UK the Royal Mail will ship to the US (Region 3) using their International Standard 'Large Letter' service which specifically mentions CD/DVDs. Cost £4.20/£4 online and Royal Mail prices are at the high end so the £3/$4 cost quoted by that seller is believable as other carriers are often very much cheaper.

Thank you for the information! If I don't get a PAL game by the time the Xbox arrives, I will try to use my regular splinter cell/ mechassault when I get it in the mail. I'll keep looking on ebay but still if anyone has one of the games on here it could be helpful!

On 1/4/2021 at 4:12 PM, KaosEngineer said:

Read the configuration EEPROM's content with a Raspberry PI or Arduino (edit: or PC).  Load the eeprom.bin file created into LiveInfo_Beta_3-Xbox_v1.6-Yoshihiro to change the Video & XBE Region from PAL, UK and Australia to NTSC, USA.  Save the updated eeprom.bin file and write it back to the Xbox's configuration EEPROM.

Softmod the console using the US version of either NTSC game.

P.S. Have you already changed the power supply unit (PSU) from the 220VAC UK version to a 110/120VAC US version?  

Edit: Wait, where are you located?  What is the mains voltage level where you are at: 110 or 220VAC? 

If it's PSU's input AC requirements are already meet, you don't have to change the PSU.

I am in the US so 110. I was going to just put in a psu from an old console. That eeprom thing you mentioned is very helpful. I will try that thank you!