OGXbox.com

2 Original XBox Controllers Aren't Working

Cosmonaut Cartilag

2 of the 3 original xbox controllers I bought a few weeks back off of a ebay arent working, everything feels fine but the xbox doesnt seem to realize theyre plugged in even if I swap out the break away cables. Not really sure what could be causing this other than a guess that its the wire itself. Any tips on how to repair or replace the issue so these work?

The common place for the cable to fail is just where it enters the controller.

Most people cut the cable and resolder it inside the controller.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Is it possible to do a full on cable replacement? I'd like to have the cable as intact as I can get it. 
EDIT: If there doesnt happen to be a method of replacing the wire or any spare wire sellers out there, what steps would you recommend for identifying/repairing the damage section of the cable? 

Edited by Cosmonaut Cartilag

ive repaired a couple in the past, the neatest way ive found to make the cable look good it to cut either side of the rubber gromit and the solid magnet thingy, pull out the wires and then drill the remaining sheathing out of them, if you get the correct width of drill bit you can then feed the cable back into them, super glue them in place then proceed to resolder, i didnt resolder like in the video though, i chopped the wires very close to the white connector on the board, then cut the tabs on the white connector to reveal the back of the pins and soldered directly to them. probably coincidence but in both cases it was the red wire that was not showing continuity from one end of the cable to the other. i had a few spare controller ports from old xboxes so i cut the connector off one and that helped me check for continuity along the controller cable :)

54 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

HaHa the controllers operate on 5 volt so the worst that would happen is it did not work. The fact it's work is all that matters.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Only issue im really having is that the A button doesnt register with light taps, I have to press and hold noticeably to get it going. Is that wiring or just how I put it together causing that?

I would use isopropyl on a Qtip on on both the board and the bottoms of the buttons just don't go to hard on the buttons as it's a carbon impregnated rubber that pushes on the board.

Cheers

SS Dave