OGXbox.com

Other Dvd Drives On Xbox

Wouter A

Normal response AFAIK.

A  Xbox disc drive can be replaced by a PC disc drive if you get the power wiring and connections sorted out but it won't ever read an original Xbox game disc or backup.

The Xbox reads a game disc (uniquely?) from the outside edge of the disc inwards whereas most (all?) other disc drives read from the centre out towards the edge.

There were (are?) PC disc drives that could be modded and have their firmware flashed to make them compatible with Xbox games but most can not be.

I think it is as simple and annoying as that but if somebody has a method to get it to work I'd be interested to know myself. 

Edited by HDShadow

6 hours ago, HDShadow said:

The Xbox reads a game disc (uniquely?) from the outside edge of the disc inwards whereas most (all?) other disc drives read from the centre out towards the edge.

I no longer believe this long accepted statement to be true.  

There was another statement floating around that the disc also spins in the opposite direction - also untrue.

Hackers were able rip original game discs by modifying specific PC drives to change the starting physical sector offset to read the content of the original game disc DVD.  See MVG's YouTube video:

• Like 1

A few now old discontinued PC drives could be modified to work when installed inside the Xbox after some Xbox case modding for it to fit. Flashing firmware to the PC drive. Modifications to cabling were made to still use the Xbox's DVD power and signalling cable to power and control the PC drive.

And, finally attaching the Xbox's DVD bezel to the drive tray.

I believe using the Samsung SD-616T was the most popular drive.

Rather Interesting YT video - thanks for that.

I can see how the information about it reading from the outside in became common currency and was not challenged. The Xbox skipping to the 'hidden' game content sector of the disc ie. the outer sector, was misunderstood.

I've always thought it was odd that a Xbox disc drive was meant to read a game's disc outside inwards but was perfectly happy reading DVDs and CDs 'normally' from inside outwards. That ^ explanation seems to make it clear what is actually happening.

But none of this really helps the OP unless he can get hold of a disc drive and firmware to get it to work with the Xbox.   

19 hours ago, Wouter A said:

I have placed a laptop sata DVD drive in one of my xboxes... 

The point is that it does work, as I can install a hdd with Aid, but game back-ups or originals do not start... 

Why is this and what can be done about it? 

It is a Sony optiarc Inc. AD-7560S.

Help would be appreciated. 

If the DVD drive is recognized, it should be able to load backup discs burned using the proper format disc images (XISO-format dot iso disc images, probably not ReDump-style archival dot iso disc images)

Leave the Xbox DVD drive's all Yellow or Brown/White stripped wires cable connected to the original DVD drive.  Connect the new DVD drive/adapter to the Xbox DVD drive's IDE connector.  

Does your IDE-to-SATA adapter have a MASTER/SLAVE jumper? 

If so, it needs to be set to SLAVE.

If not, the adapter only operates as the MASTER device on the IDE bus and you'll need to purchase a different adapter that does allow for SLAVE operation on the IDE bus.

As stated in the started question... 

It is working, it is reading disks... 

But only slayer/hexen/AID, audio cd and DVD movies.... 

It is not reading Xbox copies and Xbox originals. 

I have the DVD yellow cable connected to an original drive. 

It is not the problem that I don't have spare drives, just want a slimline DVD drive to work. 

Will try to connect the DVD drive print to a lens and cradle of a slimline to see what happens, after I compared the voltages and all with a scope... 

9 hours ago, Wouter A said:

It is not reading Xbox copies and Xbox originals. 

A PC drive will never (without firmware modification) read Xbox originals.

How are you making the Xbox copies?   Burning the HDD ready file set to a data disc or creating an XISO disc image with Qwix or C-Xbox Tool or other XISO creation tool then burning the image to DVD-R media.

What size is the dot iso disc image you are burning?

What's the dot iso format?  XISO or ReDump certified archival iso.

I do not know which format was used in the past to burn the disc's. 

But is would be a waste of disc's to reburn them, I have over 250 burned disc's that work on an original. 

I know that without firmware modifications a pc drive will not work. 

But every DVD drive has the same mechanics in principle. 

I think, with adjustments, it should be possible to connect the mechanics of a pc drive to the board of a xbx DVD drive.