OGXbox.com

Are There any XVgm Skin Tutorials?

Tomos

I’ve finally gotten my hands on this skin and was curious if there were any tutorials available to get it working properly? Also on a side note I’ve had hundreds of .png files fail to transfer during the ftp process. I’ve tried flashfxp and FileZilla both with difference transfer preferences only ending with the same results. So if anyone has had issues with that as well I’m all ears :)

Thanks! 

No tutorials that I've seen. You have to have menu editing enabled in the settings and go to each game/app listed in their associated menu to set the preview video to use for each one.

What are some of the png filenames?  The Xbox only supports 42 characters including the .png extension so only 38 in the remainder of the name.  Also not all characters are allowed,  the list of allowed characters is:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789!#$%&'()-.@[]^_`{}~ (that includes the space character shown after the tilde)

47 minutes ago, Tomos said:

Okay, soI figured out the ftp issue. I set my file transfers to 1 and that fixed it. So the xvm file goes into the root of each game folder, but where do I put the video file? 

XVM, they are dot xmv files - the game's video preview.

The skin itself is 2MB's of files to store in UnleashX's Skins folder - in a subfolder for example: XVGM - either the extract content or as a zip file.  The Skin doesn't have to be extracted to load. However, the files cannot be in a sub-subfolder as they are in the XVGM (US).zip I've seen.  WIll need to look again at the large archives file structure.

Extracted content saved in UnleashX's Skins/XVGM/ folder

• Videos/
  • background.png
  • filemanager.jpg
  • filemanager.png
  • Impact_12.xpr
  • loading.png
  • mp.png
  • 1mp_Buttons.png
  • mp_pl.png
  • Skin.xml
  • Skin.xml.temp (not necessary old backup file of Skin.xml. It can be deleted.)
  • Splash.jpg

Place the dot xmv preview video files into the Videos subfolder shown above. However, it is not required that these files are stored there. They can go in each game's subfolder too.  One folder to find all the preview videos or many different folders to browse to. It's up to you where they are stored.  Either way, each game/app/emulator's menu listing has to be edited to add the path to the preview video to be played.

• Like 2

I put my config on Google Drive with all the videos.  Follow the path in the config when setting up the main menu function videos.  Then for emulators and games, just FTP the preview.xmv in each game folder.  Has to be beside the root of the default.xbe.  BTW, I created a loading.xmv and revised the skin.xml.  also for Ram issues, I added the "Clear Cache" code to the config file for easy clearing.  I will make a video for that also.  Here's the link:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1AEItVXVUBg36SUeZ_IsaD9ie0wYyG12c

• Like 3

On 5/16/2019 at 2:11 PM, CB-Games said:

I put my config on Google Drive with all the videos.  Follow the path in the config when setting up the main menu function videos.  Then for emulators and games, just FTP the preview.xmv in each game folder.  Has to be beside the root of the default.xbe.  BTW, I created a loading.xmv and revised the skin.xml.  also for Ram issues, I added the "Clear Cache" code to the config file for easy clearing.  I will make a video for that also.  Here's the link:

Where's the XboxGamePreviews-N.rar file?

I don't see it on the XvGM google drive.

--
KaosEngineer

• KaosEngineer changed the title to Are There any XVgm Skin Tutorials?
  • 3 weeks later...

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that the XVGM.rar release contains a whole bunch of stuff that isn't actually needed to get the skin working. My installation went like this:

1) FTP the contents of the XVGM\skin folder to E:\Dash\UnleashX\skins\XvGM\ (or wherever you store your skins on your setup)

2) FTP each preview.XMV file from XVGM\xmv\[category subdirectory]\[game subdirectory]\ respectively into each of your games' folders. You can ignore the 64KB default.xbe shortcut files that are included next to each preview.XMV. I have no idea what these are for.

3) Switch to the XvGM skin with UnleashX. That's it, you're done.

The Artwork and Xbox movies folders contain the source files that were used to make the preview.XMV files (plus some additional images not used in the skin), but you don't actually need them to make the skin work.

IMHO this should have been unRAR'd before the torrent was created. The average user looking to use this skin only needs the contents of the XVGM folder, which is only 16.7GB. All the rest just bloats the file size. Again unless I'm missing something major?

1 hour ago, RBBT said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that the XVGM.rar release contains a whole bunch of stuff that isn't actually needed to get the skin working. My installation went like this:

1) FTP the contents of the XVGM\skin folder to E:\Dash\UnleashX\skins\XvGM\ (or wherever you store your skins on your setup)

2) FTP each preview.XMV file from XVGM\xmv\[category subdirectory]\[game subdirectory]\ respectively into each of your games' folders. You can ignore the 64KB default.xbe shortcut files that are included next to each preview.XMV. I have no idea what these are for.

3) Switch to the XvGM skin with UnleashX. That's it, you're done.

The Artwork and Xbox movies folders contain the source files that were used to make the preview.XMV files (plus some additional images not used in the skin), but you don't actually need them to make the skin work.

IMHO this should have been unRAR'd before the torrent was created. The average user looking to use this skin only needs the contents of the XVGM folder, which is only 16.7GB. All the rest just bloats the file size. Again unless I'm missing something major?

Nope I think you have it figured out. I was just confused by all of the extra files attached along with the skin file but I understand how it was meant to be used now. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 5/16/2019 at 1:11 PM, CB-Games said:

thanks so much for posting these on google drive...soooo much easier.  one snag if i may....seems to be missing the letter N.....

• 6 months later...