OGXbox.com

Running MS Dashboard for Insignia help

flintboy22

Hi everyone.

I'm after a little help.

I'm running XBMC4Gamers as my default dash on my V1.1 Hard modded Xbox but I'm wanting to load into a stock MS dashboard for insignia purposes.

I've downloaded an MS dashboard from the internet but when I run it from file explorer I get a service error screen and I have to shut down to then reboot back to normal.

When I navigate to the evodash.xmb in file manager and run that it boots into the unleashed dashboard with no issues so 'm thinking this is the method to use.

Am I doing something wrong when trying to use the MS dashboard . Is this the correct method of doing this. 

if not could someone give me some info on how to do the procedure correctly.

I'm am wondering if i've got a bad download of the MS dashboard file or am I using a wrong one. I think I've downloaded the latest one (5960)

Does it matter which version I use ?    I'm guessing it should be the latest one.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

I

22 minutes ago, flintboy22 said:

Hi everyone.

I'm after a little help.

I'm running XBMC4Gamers as my default dash on my V1.1 Hard modded Xbox but I'm wanting to load into a stock MS dashboard for insignia purposes.

I've downloaded an MS dashboard from the internet but when I run it from file explorer I get a service error screen and I have to shut down to then reboot back to normal.

When I navigate to the evodash.xmb in file manager and run that it boots into the unleashed dashboard with no issues so 'm thinking this is the method to use.

Am I doing something wrong when trying to use the MS dashboard . Is this the correct method of doing this. 

if not could someone give me some info on how to do the procedure correctly.

I'm am wondering if i've got a bad download of the MS dashboard file or am I using a wrong one. I think I've downloaded the latest one (5960)

Does it matter which version I use ?    I'm guessing it should be the latest one.

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

I

What bios are you using and what service error is it? I have a feeling that your HDD locking may be disabled which will cause an error. Either that, or your C partition is a bit borked and needs to be setup again, which sometimes happens.

Posted (edited)

Hi

thanks for you reply.

my Bios is showing as 1.0.5838.1 but is also showing as "Unknown. Please add MD5 from xbmc.log" in the Hardware Information section of the XBMC's settings menu.

my HDD lock state is showing as "Not Locked" in this menu also.

hope this helps

Edited by flintboy22

2 hours ago, flintboy22 said:

Hi

thanks for you reply.

my Bios is showing as 1.0.5838.1 but is also showing as "Unknown. Please add MD5 from xbmc.log" in the Hardware Information section of the XBMC's settings menu.

my HDD lock state is showing as "Not Locked" in this menu also.

hope this helps

Your HDD being "not locked" may be the reason for this error. The version number you are showing sounds like the dashboard kernel version.  How are you modded, exactly? Softmod? Chip? TSOP?

1 hour ago, flintboy22 said:

TSOP flashed with EvoX M2 + F & G Bios from the Hexen disc

Do I need to lock the drive.

Actually, if you're booting a modded bios to the MS dash, I think that it should not be giving an error about drive locking. What is the error number in the top left?

This is interesting as I was made aware, by someone on Reddit, that you need the full MS dash content, on C:\, to get an MS dash to work from anywhere else too.

I'd always assumed that you could just install a copy of the 5960 MS dash anywhere or as little as just its main xboxdash.xbe, typically as an app (E:\Apps\xboxdash.xbe) and it would work but, apparently not.

Could that be the issue here?

What I'm thinking is that because it is a TSOP we're talking about a C:\drive that would be set up as for a softmod and that is what is causing the problem. Depending on the softmod you could even have a MS dash XBE somewhere on C:\ already but it would undoubtedly be named differently from the original xboxdash.xbe as that is, usually reassigned in a softmod to launch Xbox Live or other redundant service.

If it is a hardmod you certainly do not need to lock the HDD to be able to use the MS dash, that is 100% certain.   

• Thanks 1

Hi guys

The service error code i'm getting is 21 when I attempt to run the xboxdash.xbe within file manager.

Would this normally be the correct way of running the file to load the MS dash or any dash for that matter.

It works when I run it for the Unleashed dashboard so that's what I did with this too.

I only have the .xmb file in the folder I put it in, in my file structure ,no others. is this normally correct.

Thanks

So you're saying the MS dash does work when using UnleashX, using the main menu "MS Dash" menu option, yes?

Well the simple thing to do is go to UnleashX's config.xml (do that when using UnleashX because of its built in text reader/editor) and see what path that uses to launch the MS dash. Copy the path then use it in XBMC4Gamers as the "Dashboard".

TBH I do not know the menu structure of XBMC4Gamers, I'm a ordinary XBMC4Xbox user, but I assume Rocky5 left it in the main Shutdown menu option: "Dashboard". Once done you can then use it to launch the MS dash whenever you want.

You may not be aware that if you click R3 (the right stick down) with XBMC and, AFAIK, any variant it will bring up the Shutdown menu automatically.

• Like 2

Thanks for all your replies again, very much apprieciated.

Sorry if i've confused anyone with any info in my previous posts.

No, the MS dash doesn't work at all when i select it's .xmb whilst in file manager.

I was only referring to the fact that the unleased dash .xmb DID work when selecting it in file manager just for comparison.

All this is being attempted whilst I'm in the file manager of XBMC4Gamers as this is my default dash that loads each time I boot up. 

Thanks for the heads up on pressing R3, i didn't know this. 🙂

6 hours ago, flintboy22 said:

Hi guys

The service error code i'm getting is 21 when I attempt to run the xboxdash.xbe within file manager.

Would this normally be the correct way of running the file to load the MS dash or any dash for that matter.

It works when I run it for the Unleashed dashboard so that's what I did with this too.

I only have the .xmb file in the folder I put it in, in my file structure ,no others. is this normally correct.

Thanks

This is a general dash error. See if running an installer such as the OGXbox installer and "Setting up" C resolves your issue. Formatting C and reinstalling the general files there is not a risk as longas you are not softmodded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2024 at 4:37 AM, flintboy22 said:

Hi guys

Thanks

The stock dashboard files, IIRC, must all go on the C drive.  Not on another drive letter or even in a Apps subfolder on C.  Install the content in the root directory of the C drive.  There will be subfolders of the stock dashboard on the C drive.