OGXbox.com

Xbox Content Archive Tool UPDATE *v1.02*

XCAT v1.00 is now out and just waiting for you to start archiving your lost Xbox Live content and updates.

I could do a whole writeup but why would I when it's all covered on Consolemods and RetroRGB.

https://www.retrorgb.com/xcat-a-huge-win-for-xbox-preservation.html
https://consolemods.org/wiki/Xbox:XCAT

We have a support channel on the Xbox Scene discord where you can ask you have any questions or list any concerns. https://discord.gg/xbox-scene
Download is available on Digiex.net or Xbins.

Please check out the Unarchived DLC/TU list to see the simple list of what's missing.
https://consolemods.org/wiki/Xbox:Unarchived_DLC

Please go forth and Archive your content!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

I have a box full of stock HDDs that I need to go through. Lots of potential so hopefully I can find some goodies. 

I appreciate it, thank you! If you want to see for yourself what's on those HDDs you can still use Pinecone to give each a scan though.

Oh for sure. I didn’t word that properly. There’s no chance I’m personally going to scavenge all of those things. I’m definitely going to use your program. I saw the vid on YouTube a few days ago when you posted it and knew what must be done. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Harcroft said:

XCAT has been updated to v1.01 which fixes a few bugs. See http://consolemods.org/XCAT for more details!

I think it may be time to create a dedicated data recovery console... Are there any considerations I should keep in mind when creating a console specifically for this purpose? I think I'll bring one of my "Dead RAM" (RAM error light) consoles back to life with some Ali RAM and use that box for XCAT purposes. Then maybe start buying some lots of HDDs. :)

33 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I think it may be time to create a dedicated data recovery console... Are there any considerations I should keep in mind when creating a console specifically for this purpose? I think I'll bring one of my "Dead RAM" (RAM error light) consoles back to life with some Ali RAM and use that box for XCAT purposes. Then maybe start buying some lots of HDDs. :)

Most people with dedicated consoles for dumping use a PrometheOS capable modchip, build a Bios to boot from something like C:\xcat.xbe.
Boot console with orphaned HDD, force unlock with vendor commands, boot to XCAT, repeat.

• Thanks 1

• dtomcat changed the title to Xbox Content Archive Tool UPDATE *v1.01*

I ran this app for the first time on one of my consoles today. It was running for around 7 hours and only reached 3%...... 

It said it had 31108 files..... after the 7 hours it said it had 306 new files archived and uploaded 8mb... At this point i had to cut the process and switch off the console as I had to go out. I will start things over again tomorrow, but my question is.... Is it supposed to take this long??? 

My hdd is 6tb, recently built from scratch.... and everything on it was downloaded from existing sources on the net so I wasn't expecting it to actually find anything to upload at all really...

1 hour ago, nikeymikey said:

I ran this app for the first time on one of my consoles today. It was running for around 7 hours and only reached 3%...... 

It said it had 31108 files..... after the 7 hours it said it had 306 new files archived and uploaded 8mb... At this point i had to cut the process and switch off the console as I had to go out. I will start things over again tomorrow, but my question is.... Is it supposed to take this long??? 

My hdd is 6tb, recently built from scratch.... and everything on it was downloaded from existing sources on the net so I wasn't expecting it to actually find anything to upload at all really...

Please wait a couple days. v1.02 is coming with some new features, including a fix for the cumulative pausing between batches of files.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Harcroft said:

Please wait a couple days. v1.02 is coming with some new features, including a fix for the cumulative pausing between batches of files.

Thank you for all the work on this and other things! Much appreciated. Same to your contributions on reddit! 

• Like 2

I appreciate the offers for more testers, but we do have dedicated and skilled testers.

The wait is generally on developer/development time, that being said Crunchbite managed to get v1.02 done and it's available now.

The most important fix IMO was the cumulative delay between uploading one batch of files and scanning the next, but several other fixes and upgrades are included.

v1.02
  - Massive speed increase when processing files
  - Improve network error handling
  - Add self updater
  - Show most recently processed files during processing

Available now on Xbins, digiex.net and xbox-scene.info

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• dtomcat changed the title to Xbox Content Archive Tool UPDATE *v1.02*
5 hours ago, Harcroft said:

I appreciate the offers for more testers, but we do have dedicated and skilled testers.

The wait is generally on developer/development time, that being said Crunchbite managed to get v1.02 done and it's available now.

The most important fix IMO was the cumulative delay between uploading one batch of files and scanning the next, but several other fixes and upgrades are included.

v1.02
  - Massive speed increase when processing files
  - Improve network error handling
  - Add self updater
  - Show most recently processed files during processing

Available now on Xbins, digiex.net and xbox-scene.info

No worries. I will grab 1.02 and get scanning :)

EDIT- Much faster, flying through the scan now compared to last time.

@Harcroft Question regarding v1.02..

Is it supposed to reset all counts back to zero and start again? Mine was at 19% and about 5000 files indexed, then the next time i looked it was back down to 5% and the bottom three counters were al back to zero? 

Edit- After quickly scanning through again back up to 21% (I presume this is where it reset previously) It has just reset a second time. However this time it seems to be re-archiving everything it did when I first ran the xbe today as if it hadn't run before??  Thanks to the new feature of listing the files as it goes I can see that it is scanning and archiving the exact same files it did first time around....

Edit2- The app has just reset again at 21%. It had uploaded 60Mb of data. I have closed app down and restarted console before trying again. Will update post if it restarts again. 

Edit3- Made it to 51% this time before saying network error please restart XCAT, then starting the scan all over again. Have rebooted again and re started the app. 

3 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

@Harcroft Question regarding v1.02..

Is it supposed to reset all counts back to zero and start again? Mine was at 19% and about 7000 files indexed, then the next time i looked it was back down to 5% and the bottom three counters were al back to zero? 

Edit- After quickly scanning through again back up to 21% (I presume this is where it reset previously) It has just reset a second time. However this time it seems to be rearchiving everything it did when I first ran the xbe today as if it hadn't run before??  Thanks to the new feature of listing the files as it goes I can see that it is scanning and archiving the exact same files it did first time around....

This is all expected behavior.

If XCAT is about to run out of memory to prevent a crash it restarts itself. It will start the hashing again from scratch every session but will only upload files it has not hashed and reported on previously. It will not "rearchive" any files again. Once a file is uploaded to completion one time it will never be uploaded again by any user in any session.

Every session is unique including restarts while running. XCAT has no way of knowing if you FTPd in content from another console or otherwise put a bunch of new files on the drive unless it scans the drive again.

If a file has never been seen previously XCAT will also list the same file twice per scan, once when hashing it, and once when uploading it.

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Harcroft said:

This is all expected behavior.

If XCAT is about to run out of memory to prevent a crash it restarts itself. It will start the hashing again from scratch every session but will only upload files it has not hashed and reported on previously. It will not "rearchive" any files again. Once a file is uploaded to completion one time it will never be uploaded again by any user in any session.

Every session is unique including restarts while running. XCAT has no way of knowing if you FTPd in content from another console or otherwise put a bunch of new files on the drive unless it scans the drive again.

If a file has never been seen previously XCAT will also list the same file twice per scan, once when hashing it, and once when uploading it.

Ok thanks for the reply. The only other issue I seem to keep having is "Network Error detected, please restart XCAT" but it seems to continue uploading files after that notice has appeared. 

So in the last hour and a half or so I has gotten to 51% three times in a row and then reset. It flies through everything up to that point as all has previously been scanned and/or archived and then stops briefly, starts to upload a file from E:\DEMOS and then resets. Hasn't even finished scanning E drive by that point. It is a 6tb drive and has a lot of content on it.

I did get as far as 70% once earlier on today. I have been running the app since 9:30 this morning and its now 6:15pm as I write this. Powered off now and will try again in the morning. 

EDIT- Ran XCAT again this morning, got all the way through to 100%, had 4 files that failed to process even after multiple retries. After saying no to a further retry I got a message about Network errors and asked to restart XCAT. Have doen so and will let it run, if it fails on the same files again I will leave it there and say its complete :) Strange how it kept failing at the exact same spot yesterday and today has just run through to completion on the first try. 

Now to move on my other consoles and drives :)