OGXbox.com

Xbox 1.6b will not power on/ATX replacement wiring

Gigamaximus80

Hello everyone.

I have not done anything with my original Xbox 1.6b since I softmodded it over 15 years ago, and recently it stopped powering on.

I've tried googling and researching, but the loss of Sickmods (and others that I probably don't know about) has made it difficult to find information.

Attempts So far: 

• Eject or power button does nothing.
  • Replaced the 5 main caps that are known to leak (I'm pretty sure I did this 10 years ago as well, but had parts on hand so did it anyways)
  • I have replaced the transistor near the clock cap (q7c2)

I'm pretty sure its the power supply itself, (Its the Samsung Tuscany one) so I have been trying to modify an ATX supply to use to test. 

On the earlier versions of the XBox there are lots of information and adaptors, but not the 1.6b. 

The pinouts I have found for the 1.6 xbox (See below) show it needing 4 lines on 5Vsb, and only one standard 5V line:

631507928_PowerSupplyPinoutWrong.png.4570d12231c77ebd57539a1580381312.png

I'm pretty sure this is backwards, and it should be 1 standby line and 4 regular, can someone with more experience confirm?

The other question is regarding the N64Freak adaptor board diagram:

AXTToXboxPowerSupplyConverterBoard.jpg.7c0aeec4c1b3e5ea093af341ac640fb4.jpg.4a2747b1864f50452bbc7be2b39dc090.jpg

From what I have read the 1.6 uses 5Vsb instead of 3.3Vsb, can I omit the LM3490, the 33uf cap, and the link to the ground plane like so:

1995323279_Xbox1.6bATXAdaptor.png.b134b21348cfe1f7b68fd3abd083396c.png

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to provide, and if you have any good tips for a guy who is 15 years out of the scene, let me know. :)

16 minutes ago, Gigamaximus80 said:

Can anyone confirm before I start building this that it will work? Please?

I can't be the only person to have wanted this information the last few years, so I'm puzzled why I can't find any documentation. 

To be fair, most people probably just try a different PSU these days. This could be a huge factor in why there isn’t much on this topic. If Xboxes were limited, I imagine there would be a lot more info. Unless you’re in a rush to get this done, I’d hang on for a little longer and see if anyone has some advice for you. 

Edited by MadMartigan

I agree with you 100%, but replacing a 18 year old power supply with another 18 year old supply is foolish, IMHO.

An ATX Adapter is the best way to future proof my system, and considering the state of modern games, I would like it run, basically forever. 

In any case when I am done  I will document how to replicate it, with pictures, for the whomever the next guy is. 

Thanks MadMartigan. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 1:04 PM, Gigamaximus80 said:

Hello everyone.

I have not done anything with my original Xbox 1.6b since I softmodded it over 15 years ago, and recently it stopped powering on.

I've tried googling and researching, but the loss of Sickmods (and others that I probably don't know about) has made it difficult to find information.

Attempts So far: 

• Eject or power button does nothing.
  • Replaced the 5 main caps that are known to leak (I'm pretty sure I did this 10 years ago as well, but had parts on hand so did it anyways)
  • I have replaced the transistor near the clock cap (q7c2)

I'm pretty sure its the power supply itself, (Its the Samsung Tuscany one) so I have been trying to modify an ATX supply to use to test. 

On the earlier versions of the XBox there are lots of information and adaptors, but not the 1.6b. 

The pinouts I have found for the 1.6 xbox (See below) show it needing 4 lines on 5Vsb, and only one standard 5V line:

631507928_PowerSupplyPinoutWrong.png.4570d12231c77ebd57539a1580381312.png

I'm pretty sure this is backwards, and it should be 1 standby line and 4 regular, can someone with more experience confirm?

The other question is regarding the N64Freak adaptor board diagram:

AXTToXboxPowerSupplyConverterBoard.jpg.7c0aeec4c1b3e5ea093af341ac640fb4.jpg.4a2747b1864f50452bbc7be2b39dc090.jpg

From what I have read the 1.6 uses 5Vsb instead of 3.3Vsb, can I omit the LM3490, the 33uf cap, and the link to the ground plane like so:

1995323279_Xbox1.6bATXAdaptor.png.b134b21348cfe1f7b68fd3abd083396c.png

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to provide, and if you have any good tips for a guy who is 15 years out of the scene, let me know. :)

The ATX to Xbox adapter above is only for v1.0-1.4 Xboxes, not v1.6s. (See: SICKmods : ATX PSU Converter > About (archive.org))

IIRC, sickmods.net never released a v1.6 compatible ATX to Xbox adapter - they did release an updated version 2 different than what is pictured above.  However, it too is only for v1.0-1.4 Xboxes, not v1.6/1.6bs. (See: SICKmods : ATX PSU Converter 2 > Install It (archive.org))

Which Xbox version depends on the cable/connector you install on the Xbox side of the PCB.  A 1x12 connector and cabling for v1.0/1.1 or a 2x10 connector and wiring for v1.2-1.4.

4 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Measure the voltage level present on the standby 5Vdc lines when AC power is connected.  Does it have 5Volts present?

11 hours ago, Gigamaximus80 said:

I agree with you 100%, but replacing a 18 year old power supply with another 18 year old supply is foolish, IMHO.

An ATX Adapter is the best way to future proof my system, and considering the state of modern games, I would like it run, basically forever. 

In any case when I am done  I will document how to replicate it, with pictures, for the whomever the next guy is. 

Thanks MadMartigan. 

Just to interject…could you not just take another old psu and recap it? Many of us have done that and the parts that really wear out are readily available from good resources and inexpensive. The atx adapter is definitely cool but it’s basically made of similar components. If we are looking at it that way it’s all really replaceable even if you stick to the og Xbox form factor per se. Not trying to be antagonistic mind you. Just playing devil’s advocate. If you figure out the atx replacement I’d definitely be interested in the process as it’s always nice to have those options! :D 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Just to interject…could you not just take another old psu and recap it? Many of us have done that and the parts that really wear out are readily available from good resources and inexpensive. The atx adapter is definitely cool but it’s basically made of similar components. If we are looking at it that way it’s all really replaceable even if you stick to the og Xbox form factor per se. Not trying to be antagonistic mind you. Just playing devil’s advocate. If you figure out the atx replacement I’d definitely be interested in the process as it’s always nice to have those options! :D 

I was going to suggest this. 

If the parts that you are worried about dying are replaced now, (Like caps, diodes, etc) then you should have a pretty decent PSU for a while. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I was going to suggest this. 

If the parts that you are worried about dying are replaced now, (Like caps, diodes, etc) then you should have a pretty decent PSU for a while. 

That was my thought as well, Bowl. Caps are the biggest point of failure on the psu. Replace those and some others and it’s pretty close to new in my experience. With the exception of some catastrophic failure beforehand of course. 

Edited by FrostyMaGee

I am fiscally poor, I have half a dozen ATX supplies kicking around, a limited knowledge of lelectronics, and too much time on my hands.

@KaosEngineer

I had started pulling caps to test, of the 4 I pulled they are all within the standard 20%, only "oddity" is the 3300uf 10v cap, it's at 3843uf, but that's still ok, by "spec".

I'll put it back together and let you know if I have standby voltage shortly.

If you have a schematic or troubleshooting  guide for the Tuscany power supply that would be greatly appreciated.

20240226_144650.thumb.jpg.e3d25e90af20548d9dfc6849284bf626.jpg

Nothing on 5vsb. If the round brown component directly behind the plug is a fuse it is fine. I've tested most of what I could test in circuit, but didn't see anything obviously wrong, to my amateur eye. Couldn't find a troubleshooting guide, so I started desoldering caps to check them.

20240226_154713.jpg

12 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

I've never found a schematic/manual for any Xbox Power Supply Unit.  

Any other specific components that you know are prone to failure in these units?

Or should I just desolder everything and check it all? 

Really wish I had a spare working one, but I cannot afford to buy a second one.

I'm going to try to modify an  ATX power supply today based on my limited knowledge, I'll post here if my house doesn't burn down. :)

I can confirm that I have success with the modified ATX supply: 

1139216207_xbox1.6alivewithATX.thumb.png.53e64203979ce1340ed3343cdc875f8d.png

Currently backing up everything via FTP as the hard drive has a lot of hours on it too. 

I will be putting together a guide as promised for the next guy, the power supply is from a mini-itx case that was going to the dump, I'm going to transfer the guts to that. 

Thank you for all your input, stay tuned for a guide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Gigamaximus80 said:

I can confirm that I have success with the modified ATX supply: 

1139216207_xbox1.6alivewithATX.thumb.png.53e64203979ce1340ed3343cdc875f8d.png

Currently backing up everything via FTP as the hard drive has a lot of hours on it too. 

I will be putting together a guide as promised for the next guy, the power supply is from a mini-itx case that was going to the dump, I'm going to transfer the guts to that. 

Thank you for all your input, stay tuned for a guide.

DUDE YOU DID IT! Right the fuck on! I would love to see you internalize this somehow or make the connections modular some how. Maybe you can make room for the internals by eliminating the DVD-ROM drive?

2 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

DUDE YOU DID IT! Right the fuck on! I would love to see you internalize this somehow or make the connections modular some how. Maybe you can make room for the internals by eliminating the DVD-ROM drive?

I'm going to remove all the casing from the power supply and see if I can make it all fit, I have my doubts however. 

Good news is all my games just finished backing up now, including several rare-ish games that were stolen from me a few years ago. (Burnout Revenge and Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance II)

8 hours ago, Gigamaximus80 said:

Any other specific components that you know are prone to failure in these units?

Nothing out of the ordinary in an old console. Dying disc drives and capacitors, dead thermal paste, possible broken traces from busted caps, etc. 

8 hours ago, Gigamaximus80 said:

Really wish I had a spare working one, but I cannot afford to buy a second one.

Depending on your location, you should be able to find one fairly cheap. eBay is loaded with ones that are labeled as broken that are extremely easy fixes. I get stupid deals from there all the time and would be happy to help you find one if needed. 

34 minutes ago, Gigamaximus80 said:

I'm going to remove all the casing from the power supply and see if I can make it all fit, I have my doubts however. 

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. I know you’ve mentioned a tight budget and I’m already recommending buying other things, but you’ve come this far now so welcome to the modding world lol. You can rearrange the guts of the Xbox fairly easy without breaking the bank. Even cheaper if you happen to have access to a 3d printer. I’m visualizing all the extra space you’d have removing the disc drive, relocating the HDD to the left side and not having the old PSU in the way. This has to be doable in some way. 

Regarding the DVD drive, from my quick research after dinner I would need to hard mod and flash a bios to remove it completely. That said I am pretty confident I can disassemble the drive and remove all the plastic and metal and just leave the electronics in a small box, and the hard drive in front of that. Then dissect the PSU and hang it above the space for the old one. Cooling might be an issue, but I can definitely figure something out. 

Also thank you for your kind offer @MadMartigan, but I am on income support and live below the poverty line. My entertainment budget this month was about $7, and I spent it on 5 3300uf caps from a local place in the hopes of it fixing the no power issue. 

Everything I done since that replacement caps purchase has been with scavenged parts from electronics I've dissected going back 20+ years in some cases. 

I replaced the clock cap with a 220ohm resistor, and the  Q7C2 transistor with a standard NPN transistor:1199637938_Capactorandtransistorreplacements.thumb.png.9be8570a1e059b610ce257956a31a120.png

Which still didn't fix the issue. 

I checked over the power supply board and there is nothing obviously wrong, which is why I started pulling caps to test. 

My prototype that I showed above has a couple of issues, otherwise I would post a picture of it here.

On that note, should I make a new thread or just continue here for instructions/guide I am putting together? 

• Like 1