OGXbox.com

Xecuter 3 trying to install 2 TB

A3 Printer

Hi There,

I just happened to come across an Xbox with an xecuter 3 mod chip with LCD on a second hand website.

Bought this and continues to work.
So now it still has the standard hard drive in it.
I wanted to replace this with a hard drive that is in my other hardmodded Xbox. (This is the well-known Origin 2TB disc)
When I put this in, it does not boot any further and I end up on the X3 modschip screen.

When I FTP to the original hard drive I find it strange that it uses the C D E.
Furthermore, I think this is one of the first Xectuer 3 mod chips because it also contains a very old version of XBMC.

Any idea what I will be able to do?

Image.jpg

3 minutes ago, Thairanny said:

From my understanding, you took out the IDE drive and swapped in a 2TB HDD, the SATA adapter, and an 80-pin ribbon cable from your other modded Xbox and put it in the one pictured?

Yes with the adapter.

I'm sure there will be people who know for sure.  If I'm not mistaken, your bios may need to be changed to one that supports the UDMA 4 or 5.

Okay so i need to update the Bios of the Xbox or the bios of the xecuter 3 modchip? 

The chip is fine, I have an X3 and it works as well today as it always did. Update the bios, or, if you have a bios bank switch mounted on the console use that and try one of the other banks, it may have another bios on it already. For the Origins drive to work you might need a bios that supports F and G. Although If you are booting the X3 bios then you "should" be good to go there anyway, the X3 bios will support your 2TB hdd with F and G partitions. 

One thing you need to check is where the X3 is looking for the dashboard at boot, you can check this on the X3 config screen. You can get to that by holding the "White" button while powering on the console. Look for dashboard path or similar. Make sure the path is pointing to where the dash is installed on the origins drive. 

Try the dash option first and if you still have issues then try updating the bios. The UDMA stuff is not important unless you are using Cerbios so do worry about that too much. Just make sure you are using an 80 wire IDE cable with your Sata drive and you should be good. 

8 minutes ago, Thairanny said:

I'm not sure about xecuter modchips, I've only used OpenXenium. I don't know if it matters if it is flashed to the TSOP or the modchip, but basically you need a version of a bios that has the proper support for the higher transfer rates of the newer hard drive.

No, the X3 bios will support his 2tb drive with no issues. I know becasue i have an X3 with 2tb drive that runs on the X3 bios. The UDMA thing has only come about since Cerbios added it and it honestly isnt that important. As long as OP is using an 80 wire cable along with his ide2sata adaptor then the X3 bios will be enough for the 2tb drive to work. 

Thanks NikeyMikey and Thairanny.

NikeyMikey When i use the original hdd i can see and chose the Dashboard. When i use my 2TB Disc i can not see anything. 

Thairanny, i did not used the 80 pin cable. i did not no there was a difference is will check that out.

Wil let you guys know.

Thank you very much. 

7 minutes ago, A3 Printer said:

NikeyMikey When i use the original hdd i can see and chose the Dashboard. When i use my 2TB Disc i can not see anything. 

Thairanny, i did not used the 80 pin cable. i did not no there was a difference is will check that out.

You will need that 80wire cable. 

You need to make sure that the X3 is looking in the right place for the Origins dash. On the original drive it is in a specific location, on the Origins drive it is likely in a different location, the chip/bios needs to know where it is so it can boot it. 

As I said before check where the dash is located on the origins hdd and point the X3 bios at it. Then it should boot. I have never used the Origins drive so dont know the dash location myself. 

Here is a link to the manual for the X3 config Live, pay attention to the sections about the dash and make sure that yours is setup to boot the dash from where it is on the Origins drive. 

https://x3.bustedchain.com/x3configlive.html

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Thairanny said:

Then make an AI chatbot that can properly assess users answers. If 4 users were to leave this forum 90% of questions would go unanswered. This entire scene is at risk of dying due to the level of misunderstanding between average people and long time users.

" If 4 users leave this forum.... " DANG NO WAY!? The 3 Stooges and you will leave? That would turn the forum almost back to normal. And dying scene? You ain't no shit you talking about (Trying to be frindly pointing that out and asking you for stopping that shit didn't worked to well so fuck that for the future) but as some others here leave your poop in every topic no matter if right or wrong. Lov3 guys like you. So let us have some fun.....

1 hour ago, A3 Printer said:

i did not used the 80 pin cable. i did not no there was a difference is will check that out.

Just to clarify on the upgraded cable…this is always necessary when upgrading from the IDE drives. In a nutshell the 80 wire 40 pin cables are high speed and give you a ground between each of the 40 pins to reduce crosstalk thereby preventing signal level corruption at the higher transfer speeds. Not having this cable when you upgrade to a sata drive and adapter can also (and usually does) produce an error 7 on the original Xbox. Anyway, I just wanted to elaborate on why you needed this cable and when.  :D 

Edited by FrostyMaGee

2 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

I wanna know who the 3 stooges are now!!! C'mon don't leave us hanging..... I can guess one from your earlier post, We know you don't like Bowlsnapper all that much...... :)

Then do you research. It's not even hard to figgure that out.

E: I give you a hint. All 3 are in this small topic : https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12606-xbox-11-128mb-ram-upgrade

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

5 hours ago, A3 Printer said:

Hi There,

I just happened to come across an Xbox with an xecuter 3 mod chip with LCD on a second hand website.

I wanted to replace this with a hard drive that is in my other hardmodded Xbox. (This is the well-known Origin 2TB disc)
When I put this in, it does not boot any further and I end up on the X3 modschip screen.

Furthermore, I think this is one of the first Xectuer 3 mod chips because it also contains a very old version of XBMC.

With the X3 BIOS and a 2TB hard drive, you must Enable the Use Saved Partition Table option in the BIOS's configuration settings.

X3 Config Live Menu Options

Disk Tools > New Hard Drive Upgrade > Use Save Partition Table = Enabled/Disabled (Press A to toggle the value.)

Press B to back out of the submenu items.  

Next, verify that the replacement dashboard's XBE file is in the boot order list to be loaded on startup.

X3 Config Live Main Menu > Customize X3 BIOS > Dashboard Filenames and Dashboard Boot Drive = <Xbox Drive Letter where located>.

IIRC, the X3 BIOS does not look in subfolders for the listed Dashboard Filenames.  It only looks in the set boot drive's top-level/root directory.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

The X3 BIOS does not contain a replacement dashboard.  If you get it to run an old version of XBMC, it is installed on the hard drive.

Missing F and G partitions is caused by not having the Use Saved Partition Table set to Enabled.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

I wanna know who the 3 stooges are now!!! C'mon don't leave us hanging..... I can guess one from your earlier post, We know you don't like Bowlsnapper all that much...... :)

Just a tad... However, I don't think it contributes much to this particular thread to go into detail about it. Perhaps a new thread should be started in order to address all of us...

9 hours ago, A3 Printer said:

Hi There,

Image.jpg

This is what I have done with all 3 of my X3 consoles:

I keep the newest X3 bios on banks 1-4. I have Cerbios on bank 5 (switches 1,2 &4). Cerbios is my go to, since I can take advantage of UDMA-6, the time/date are accurate and synced upon startup (X3 bios cannot do this anymore. The clock can be set manually but always reboots somewhere around 2004, basically because of a glitch) and I have all my partitions and space addressable. Every once in a while I will boot into X3 Config Live because I need to edit the X3s EEPROM for whatever reason. But that's pretty much it. I have put in 2TB WD Blue hard drives and used Startech SATA adapters.

I too am using the Origins image. However, it has morphed into a personally tailored setup with roms and music and the XBMC dash (which I prefer) with all executables listed in the appropriate place. It took some time, but it's fully set up. However, the point is that it should still boot the same as yours and I hope that I can help you because of this particular setup we both happen to have.

I believe @nikeymikey is correct in saying that you should check the dashboard paths on the chip. Something is amiss... Mine is set up like this: evoxdash.xbe is the default dash name, highest priority. Dashboard Boot Drive is C.

What do your settings show? And is the Origins image fresh and unmodified, to your knowledge?