OGXbox.com

Old xbox console (original xbox)

offendude2347

Hello, my old xbox console has been having an issue when I plug it in. I think it's the cables that are the issue, where it does show part of the startup but the display is completely black and white. The audio still plays and the xbox is still powered on, and I'm wondering if I need to just throw it out or something.

1 hour ago, offendude2347 said:

Hello, my old xbox console has been having an issue when I plug it in. I think it's the cables that are the issue, where it does show part of the startup but the display is completely black and white. The audio still plays and the xbox is still powered on, and I'm wondering if I need to just throw it out or something.

Your A/V port is dirty/corroded. Guarantee. I had this happen to me too a couple times. Apply some isopropyl alcohol to the male AV plug  and female A/V jack on the Xbox and while they are still wet, insert it and remove it, in and out about 7 or 8 times to clean the contacts. Pull it back out and then take another q-tip and clean the copper contacts in the A/V port in the Xbox. Let both male and female dry, and then plug it in, test and report back.

50 minutes ago, offendude2347 said:

What region are you in? I know it's your old xbox but I'm curious if maybe you've moved or changed regions. Reason being is running a PAL xbox on an NTSC TV can also output in black and white. 

20 minutes ago, MadMartigan said:

What region are you in? I know it's your old xbox but I'm curious if maybe you've moved or changed regions. Reason being is running a PAL xbox on an NTSC TV can also output in black and white. 

If he's using component cables or anything other than composite, really ( @offendude2347 ), it means only one element of color is making it through, just enough for an image. If he cleans the port, then the other colors will be able to make it through and give a complete image.

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Your A/V port is dirty/corroded. Guarantee. I had this happen to me too a couple times. Apply some isopropyl alcohol to the male AV plug  and female A/V jack on the Xbox and while they are still wet, insert it and remove it, in and out about 7 or 8 times to clean the contacts. Pull it back out and then take another q-tip and clean the copper contacts in the A/V port in the Xbox. Let both male and female dry, and then plug it in, test and report back.

Alright. I'll try that but I'll need to get my grandmother's permission since she owns it. She used to play a lot of halo and I know it's cross compatible with xbox 360, but I think the original experience is the best. 

I'll ask you guys if there is another problem.

1 hour ago, offendude2347 said:

Alright. I'll try that but I'll need to get my grandmother's permission since she owns it. She used to play a lot of halo and I know it's cross compatible with xbox 360, but I think the original experience is the best. 

I'll ask you guys if there is another problem.

I had to read that a few times to make sure I was reading it correctly. Your grandma sounds awesome. The original experience is what I prefer, from a purist point of view. :) Just to confirm, what type of video cable are you using?

3 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

If he's using component cables or anything other than composite, really ( @offendude2347 ), it means only one element of color is making it through, just enough for an image. If he cleans the port, then the other colors will be able to make it through and give a complete image.

THIS. This is why Dark left the first time. Why can’t I just make a suggestion or ask the OP a question without you having some sort of comment either defending why your suggestion is the correct one or passive aggressively telling another member that they don’t know what they’re talking about? There is no point is such comments. I’m fully aware of multiple possibilities of why his picture may be messed up. If cleaning the ports out fixes the issue then that’s terrific. So I ask nicely, can you please stop stepping in front of other peoples suggestions? This is a public forum for everyone to post and this type of elitism makes even old users not want to stick round. We don’t need any gatekeepers 

3 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

THIS. This is why Dark left the first time. Why can’t I just make a suggestion or ask the OP a question without you having some sort of comment either defending why your suggestion is the correct one or passive aggressively telling another member that they don’t know what they’re talking about? There is no point is such comments. I’m fully aware of multiple possibilities of why his picture may be messed up. If cleaning the ports out fixes the issue then that’s terrific. So I ask nicely, can you please stop stepping in front of other peoples suggestions? This is a public forum for everyone to post and this type of elitism makes even old users not want to stick round. We don’t need any gatekeepers 

I wasn't intending to say that your question/response was unreasonable. I was only saying why I had the explanation I did for why he was experiencing the problem. It could very well be what you are saying and I never meant to hint that you were wrong. I guess I shouldn't have acted like I KNEW it was solid fact and instead explained that I thought it was just what I believed to be the case. Didn't mean to imply by doing so that you were just wrong.  In retrospect it probably looked like I was saying "Nah. It's THIS. Nothing else should be considered. I, Bowlsnapper, Snapper of Bowls, am the only that need be consulted on the matter." I did not intend to do so. I'm certainly not Xboxstradamas.

My bad.

On 1/19/2024 at 3:58 PM, offendude2347 said:

Don't throw it out. Fix it!

What video output mode is set: NTSC or PAL?

Does your TV set support that mode?

I know when I change my NTSC Xbox to PAL and connect it to my TV set, the screen is scrolling rapidly and the output is in black and white.

Is your Xbox modded?  If so how, soft or hard mod?  

Softmodded, which softmod package was used? 

Hardmodded, which modchip and BIOS are installed?

Some modchips have button combos that change the video output mode from to PAL or NTSC by pressing them.

• Like 1