OGXbox.com

USB-C Power Supply?

OG xbox uses a lot of juice... amps compared to the Dreamcast. This would require a large USB-C power adapter/supply in (W) and a daughterboard for the respective voltages up/down (12/5v) etc and the standby ones too.

Some have adapted a powerful compact PSU in the past, but it's a big bit of work and not that small.

Edited by lOgIcAl
typo
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lOgIcAl said:

OG xbox uses a lot of juice... amps compared to the Dreamcast. This would require a large USB-C power adapter/supply in (W) and a daughterboard for the respective voltages up/down (12/5v) etc and the standby ones too.

Some have adapted a powerful compact PSU in the past, but it's a big bit of work and not that small.

FWIW, Anker makes $20 USB-C power supplies that can do 100W. That's 20 amps of 5V, which would be enough 5V, with some headroom for converting up for 12v and down for 3.3v.

I'm specifically thinking of using it to power a slim with no DVD and an SSD.

4 hours ago, SamFromMichigan said:

FWIW, Anker makes $20 USB-C power supplies that can do 100W. That's 20 amps of 5V, which would be enough 5V, with some headroom for converting up for 12v and down for 3.3v.

I'm specifically thinking of using it to power a slim with no DVD and an SSD.

Could be possible if you lighten the load, sure... but WHY? What is the advantage of using USB-C? Efficiency?

5 hours ago, SamFromMichigan said:

How hard would it be to power an Xbox via USB-C?

There is a solution for Dreamcast already:

https://retrosix.co.uk/SEGA-Dreamcast-CleanPower-USB-C-Power-Mod-p558766840

Looks like it doesn't supply enough 5V to work with the Xbox, but how hard would something like this be to create for Xbox?

THe retrosix guy has said on the discord that he plans to make one for most consoles inc the OG. I already have his Saturn, Megadrive and Master System :) I also have a USB-C powered PS1.

20 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Could be possible if you lighten the load, sure... but WHY? What is the advantage of using USB-C? Efficiency?

One charger to power many different consoles is great :) I'm hoping to grab the recently released one for the GC soon enough but at the mo I cant get past the £20 postage to the UK. Puts the cost of the mod to over £50. :(

https://retrogamerepairshop.com/collections/gamecube/products/hdrs-gc-pd?variant=42955811881132

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

THe retrosix guy has said on the discord that he plans to make one for most consoles inc the OG. I already have his Saturn, Megadrive and Master System :) I also have a USB-C powered PS1.

One charger to power many different consoles is great :) I'm hoping to grab the recently released one for the GC soon enough but at the mo I cant get past the £20 postage to the UK. Puts the cost of the mod to over £50. :(

https://retrogamerepairshop.com/collections/gamecube/products/hdrs-gc-pd?variant=42955811881132

It WOULD cut down on all that transformer bulk, huh? :P

4 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

It WOULD cut down on all that transformer bulk, huh? :P

Yep, Its especially good on consoles that have a big lumpy box half way along the cord, like the GC. Personally I am hoping for a 3DO version to pop up soon too. They are hard wired power cables and that is a pain in the ass lol

• Like 1