OGXbox.com

Cerbios Safe Mode freezing

bacus

Hi,

Finally got some time to get back to the old Xbox, so first thing on my list was to update the BIOS from X2 v5035 to Cerbios v2.3.1.

Modified the BIOS first in Cerbios Tool v1.2.2 to set UDMA6 as I have a Startech and 80wire. Also changed Drive Setup to HDD&DVD (mode 0) in case I want to boot from DVD, and changed Dash path 1 to C:\unleashx.xbe. Flashed to my Xecuter2 modchip. Uploaded the BootAnims folder and put a cerbios.ini (with same settings) in the root of C:. A press of the power button and it boots fine, but I don't get the blue dogs screen first, just straight to the blue/purple machine startup, then the big X, then loads the unleashx dash. Everything works fine after that as it did before. 

Next, I wanted to test Safe Mode, so a powered on using the Eject button. The tray opens, the LED ring turns red, the blue dogs appear this time with the words Safe Mode at the top, but thats it. It freezes on this screen. I notice it says in the notes that Safe Mode doesn't work on Xenium modchips, but this is an X2 so it should, right?

So 2 problems really:

• No dogs on normal power on (but everything else works).
  • Safe mode doesn't work.

Any clues what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

I think safe mode loads c:\evoxdash.xbe.  I don't have mine hooked up at the moment to confirm but the only two dashboards I have are c:\evoxdash.xbe and e:\xbmc4gamers\default.xbe and it loads the first one with safemode using eject and the second one with using the power button.

11 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

It's Cerbios' safe mode that's causing his problem. That's UDMA2, which is what makes it safe mode. UDMA6 has always worked fine for me with a startech.

That's what I understand too from the docs, about it being UDMA2 in Safe Mode. The console boot fine every time in UDMA6 mode and runs all apps and games I try. I think the lack of the blue dogs maybe down to my TV not detecting/displaying the input quick enough, as this morning I just saw the briefest of flash for the first time. So lets ignore that one as its only cosmetic. I would like to get the Safe Mode working though.

10 hours ago, Fringle said:

I think safe mode loads c:\evoxdash.xbe.  I don't have mine hooked up at the moment to confirm but the only two dashboards I have are c:\evoxdash.xbe and e:\xbmc4gamers\default.xbe and it loads the first one with safemode using eject and the second one with using the power button.

Great thought. So, I've just reinstalled c:\evoxdash.xbe and c:\evox.ini to test. Unfortunately, it doesn't help and the console still freezes in the same way when booting by eject. Then for completeness, tested the evoxdash separately under normal UDMA6 boot and it works fine.

6 hours ago, bacus said:

Great thought. So, I've just reinstalled c:\evoxdash.xbe and c:\evox.ini to test. Unfortunately, it doesn't help and the console still freezes in the same way when booting by eject. Then for completeness, tested the evoxdash separately under normal UDMA6 boot and it works fine.

What's your dash path 2 in the cerbios.ini file?  This is where mine is set to load \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\evoxdash.xbec:\evoxdash.xbe which is c:\evoxdash.xbe.  Maybe something is not setup correctly there?  I'll hook mine up later this afternoon and do some messing around with it to see if I can reproduce what's happening to you.

@Fringle I modified the Dash Paths in Cerbios Tool and also exported to a cerbios.ini file too. So, since they are the same, I shouldn't need the cerbios.ini but I put it on C root just in case I wanted to try a few different settings. The section looks like this:

; Dash Paths (always falls back to C:\xboxdash.xbe)
DashPath1 = C:\unleashx.xbe
DashPath2 = C:\avalaunch.xbe
DashPath3 = C:\evoxdash.xbe

Since path 1&3 are valid, but path 2 does not exist, I'll dig out a copy of avalaunch to dump in C root and see what happens.

7 hours ago, bacus said:

OK, I just did that. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work, same as before. 

That's pretty strange.  Have you tried setting the no dvd drive option in the ini file and disconnecting the dvd drive just to see if it might be causing the hangup?  Seems like an odd glitch.

@Fringle Sorry - A bit late replying - busy weekend.

Tried options 0,1 & 2 in the cerbios.ini file but all the same results. Also tried changing dash paths back to the old format, but no joy there either. Not convenient atm to disassemble and remove the DVD drive as a test. If that did work for me, it wouldn't solve the problem though as I want to be able to use the DVD drive in an emergency. I saw your post over on gbatemp last august about the same issue and it wasn't resolved there, so maybe this is a bug we both have?

I can always use the X2's other bank for a different bios in an emergency, so I'm not totally stuck. 

Thanks for your help.

2 minutes ago, bacus said:

@Fringle Sorry - A bit late replying - busy weekend.

Tried options 0,1 & 2 in the cerbios.ini file but all the same results. Also tried changing dash paths back to the old format, but no joy there either. Not convenient atm to disassemble and remove the DVD drive as a test. If that did work for me, it wouldn't solve the problem though as I want to be able to use the DVD drive in an emergency. I saw your post over on gbatemp last august about the same issue and it wasn't resolved there, so maybe this is a bug we both have?

I can always use the X2's other bank for a different bios in an emergency, so I'm not totally stuck. 

Thanks for your help.

I ended up resolving my issue by purchasing a startech adapter and got a replacement for a defective IDE cable.  Was initially using a cheap sata adapter with no master/slave jumper.  I then got the startech but it still didn't work for me.  Turns out the 80 wire IDE cable I purchased was also causing problems and eventually the middle connector broke off while I was attempting to troubleshoot it.  I got a replacement cable and it all started working.  The first one was a yellow cable and apparently there are know issues when using the yellow cables for some reason.  Possibly of lower quality.

• Like 1