OGXbox.com

Custom folder art disappearing when Resources enabled.

nikeymikey

I am currently setting up a brand new HDD (6TB) with Cerbios and using CCI's. As the full set contains a LOT of games I want to split them alphabetically.. However the folder art that I have created displays but disappears when scrolling. This only happens when "Enable Resources" is on. If I disable resources then the folder art will stay in place and not disappear.  

See video for example. 

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqFpyG7Ugkl6gv8sPcUgOjpVrGKH3g?e=R4jyZ2https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqFpyG7Ugkl6gv8sPcUgOjpVrGKH3g?e=R4jyZ2

I have the folder artwork placed inside the folder root, along with the game folders for that letter. I have tried naming the art folder.jpg,icon.jpg and poster.jpg, same result each time. Have even tried having a _resources folder with the artwork in (which failed completely as it just showed as another folder. 

Obviously I want resources enabled. So my question is does anyone know how I can change this behaviour??

@Rocky5 If you're here, do you have a suggestion from your huge wealth of XBMC knowledge? :) 

Also anyway I can use folders AND keep fast game parsing on?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out here...

:)

Edited by nikeymikey

• nikeymikey changed the title to Custom folder art disappearing when Resources enabled.

If using folder and splitting game (so it’s not just 1 large list) will be just as fast as the fast parsing. 

the former only helps with large lists. (500+)

as for the artwork, that’s just how Xbmc caches the files. Thumbnail cache (resources disabled) are stored as crc ids and it’s quicker to look them up than parsing a path.

drive speed, IDE cable & drive type all effect loading of images. 

forgot about folder art 😂

folder.jpg or folder.tbn should work if fast game parsing is disabled. 

Edited by Rocky5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Rocky5 said:

If using folder and splitting game (so it’s not just 1 large list) will be just as fast as the fast parsing. 

I am splitting Alphabetically with a folder for each letter so that good to know. 

as for the artwork, that’s just how Xbmc caches the files. Thumbnail cache (resources disabled) are stored as crc ids and it’s quicker to look them up than parsing a path.

I have no issues with the speed of images loading :)

forgot about folder art 😂

folder.jpg or folder.tbn should work if fast game parsing is disabled. 

I will give folder.tbn a try, already tried folder.jpg and it disappeared when scrolling left to right just as in the video I attached. That is the issue I am trying to resolve.

Either way thanks for the info/suggestions. I will report back with how I get on. 

5 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

Ah ok now I understand, yeah icons only show if it’s a folder, there is no fallback support for $info tags so unless everything is a folder they will vanish unless highlighted when resources is enabled. 

I may have a workaround, leave it with me and I will get back to you. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rocky5 said:

Ah ok now I understand, yeah icons only show if it’s a folder, there is no fallback support for $info tags so unless everything is a folder they will vanish unless highlighted when resources is enabled

THIS WAS THE EXACT REASON IT WASNT WORKING. I had a mix of folders and games in the F/Games folder, I was using for testing. After moving all the games into folders the folder art now displays as expected. Thanks for pointing that out :)

I may have a workaround, leave it with me and I will get back to you. 

Your workaround may still be useful in future tho :)

I have also noticed that the new features on the Home screen don't seem to like the games being in folders as it doesn't seem to populate the random selection. This maybe down to me tho, I will keep testing and report back if I can confirm this is the case. Using the test build v1.4.028

I do however have an issue with the latest test build and an infinite loading screen. I have reported it in your update thread along with the logs :)

Thanks for all the help and pointers you have given me recently :)

Edited by nikeymikey

34 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

Your workaround may still be useful in future tho :)

I do however have an issue with the latest test build and an infinite loading screen. I have reported it in your update thread along with the logs :)

Thanks for all the help and pointers you have given me recently :)

fixed and uploaded to the downloader.

screenshot000.png

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rocky5 said:

fixed and uploaded to the downloader.

screenshot000.png

Excellent. 

I do have an issue with the latest test version crashing though. Reported on the other thread. It all works if I revert to a backup of v1.4.28.

I have also noticed that the new features on the Home screen don't seem to like the games being in folders as it doesn't seem to populate the random selection. This maybe down to me tho, I will keep testing and report back if I can confirm this is the case. Using the test build v1.4.028.

@Rocky5 I am 99% sure that the random selection of games on the new home screen does not like games being in subfolders. 

Am testing a setup with the following layout..

F/Games/A/Game folders

F/Games/B/Game folders 

and so on.. 

The  random list on the home screen has not populated since I have moved to this setup. The last played list will populate correctly. 

Also it seems that the Artwork Installer does not like that setup either as when running the installer and selecting "Automatic", no art is installed. If trying to add a art to a game manually the installer says that the folder is invalid. See video linked below.

2023-12-29_18-54-38.mp4

One more question... ;)

On my test system I have Games folders on F and G, have alphabetically organised the games in folders in both. Is there anyway to stop duplicate folders as in the screenshot attached? If not then no worries, on my 6tb setup which all this testing is for it wont be an issue as all games fit in F/Games :)

dupe folders.png

12 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

@Rocky5 I am 99% sure that the random selection of games on the new home screen does not like games being in subfolders. 

Am testing a setup with the following layout..

F/Games/A/Game folders

F/Games/B/Game folders 

and so on.. 

The  random list on the home screen has not populated since I have moved to this setup. The last played list will populate correctly. 

Also it seems that the Artwork Installer does not like that setup either as when running the installer and selecting "Automatic", no art is installed. If trying to add a art to a game manually the installer says that the folder is invalid. See video linked below.

2023-12-29_18-54-38.mp4

One more question... ;)

On my test system I have Games folders on F and G, have alphabetically organised the games in folders in both. Is there anyway to stop duplicate folders as in the screenshot attached? If not then no worries, on my 6tb setup which all this testing is for it wont be an issue as all games fit in F/Games :)

dupe folders.png

Artwork installer:

Under settings add your paths to your games\A\B etc..., it only looks 1 folder down. Once you do they will appear in the manual mode and auto mode. 

XBMC4Gamers

sub folders work fine when parsed, (as I look for %:\games\% that means anything that has Games in its path is parsed) I test it after you said about it yesterday. 

as for the dupe folders I know why, I changed how multipaths work as it breaks games if they are on different partitions but under the same name. 

I will look into fixing it, but if not it’s stays as it’s more of an issue with games than folders 😂

Fixed, now folders will merge and xbes wont, how it should be. (default behaviour is you load into the folder with xbes and it displays both, this wont work with fast game parsing enabled as I skip all folder checks)

Edited by Rocky5

5 hours ago, Rocky5 said:

Artwork installer:

Under settings add your paths to your games\A\B etc..., it only looks 1 folder down. Once you do they will appear in the manual mode and auto mode. 

XBMC4Gamers

sub folders work fine when parsed, (as I look for %:\games\% that means anything that has Games in its path is parsed) I test it after you said about it yesterday. 

as for the dupe folders I know why, I changed how multipaths work as it breaks games if they are on different partitions but under the same name. 

I will look into fixing it, but if not it’s stays as it’s more of an issue with games than folders 😂

Fixed, now folders will merge and xbes wont, how it should be. (default behaviour is you load into the folder with xbes and it displays both, this wont work with fast game parsing enabled as I skip all folder checks)

Thanks for the fixes. 

As for the art installer, that's a whole lot of paths to add lol. It's probably simpler for me to just pull all the games out of the folders, Install the art and then move them all back again :)

3 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

Thanks for the fixes. 

As for the art installer, that's a whole lot of paths to add lol. It's probably simpler for me to just pull all the games out of the folders, Install the art and then move them all back again :)

F:\Games\A

F:\Games\B

Etc…

you don’t add every single game 😂 also why you sorting them all alphabetically into folders? Most do A-D for example.

2 hours ago, Rocky5 said:

F:\Games\A

F:\Games\B

Etc…

you don’t add every single game 😂 also why you sorting them all alphabetically into folders? Most do A-D for example.

No I got that lol. It would have still been 27 paths to add :) I have just moved the games up to the games folder that only took a couple of mins anyway. Im still finalising the hdd build with FatXplorer anyway so moving the files on PC was breeze. Will pop the drive in the console and run the installer then I can reconnect to my PC and move the games back to the folders again :)

I did think about doing A-D etc but my OCD likes having a folder for each letter lol :)

Once that is done I have a few hundred gigs of Modded Xbox games to add to a separate source and then manually add artwork too.... my journey is faaaaar from finished lol