OGXbox.com

PSU help.

lopenator

hey fellas. something awful happened. my sata adapter fell on my PSU and sparks flew. I don't know where to start troubleshooting. The Xbox doesn't turn on anymore. I cannot tell if the damage stopped at the PSU or went into the console. The copper ring step down transformer looks fried.

IMG20231113220929.jpg

Edited by lopenator

18 hours ago, lopenator said:

tried another PSU and here's what happens

https://youtu.be/KNprp2PiazM?si=Wlinz3kK4Ht9M8V5

Did you ever figure out anything? It’s weird that with the other psu it looks to do the three boots but didn’t frag or anything else upon the last one. Does anything even try to show up on a display when that’s happening or just nothing? That sucks regardless dude. The whole situation. :( 

39 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Did you ever figure out anything? It’s weird that with the other psu it looks to do the three boots but didn’t frag or anything else upon the last one. Does anything even try to show up on a display when that’s happening or just nothing? That sucks regardless dude. The whole situation. :( 

nothing on display. I actually let it do that for like 10 minutes and eventually it fragged. 

I tried to get it to frag a second time by unplugging it and turning it back on and it never fragged. no idea. The power button doesn't work to turn it off. It only works turning it on.

Not sure where to start with this. Such a shame it was a great condition 1.1 board. sucks.

if I try to boot the console without the av pack it actually blinks and let's me know theres no av pack. 

Edited by lopenator

5 hours ago, lopenator said:

nothing on display. I actually let it do that for like 10 minutes and eventually it fragged. 

I tried to get it to frag a second time by unplugging it and turning it back on and it never fragged. no idea. The power button doesn't work to turn it off. It only works turning it on.

Not sure where to start with this. Such a shame it was a great condition 1.1 board. sucks.

if I try to boot the console without the av pack it actually blinks and let's me know theres no av pack. 

By chance does it do anything different with a new sata adapter or possibly disconnecting the sata adapter? I was thinking about that frag that’s 75% red/ 25% green that is usually hdd related (as compared to the 50-50 one that’s the usual frag). Since you said the sata adapter fell and hit the psu I thought it might be possible it fried something on the sata adapter too. Anyway, just a thought. 

32 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

By chance does it do anything different with a new sata adapter or possibly disconnecting the sata adapter? I was thinking about that frag that’s 75% red/ 25% green that is usually hdd related (as compared to the 50-50 one that’s the usual frag). Since you said the sata adapter fell and hit the psu I thought it might be possible it fried something on the sata adapter too. Anyway, just a thought. 

awesome thought dude. I have multiple sata adapters and unfortunately they all make no difference.

17 minutes ago, lopenator said:

awesome thought dude. I have multiple sata adapters and unfortunately they all make no difference.

Well that sucks. I was hoping it might at least do something. Well at least you can eliminate that. :) 

That’s weird about the power button as well. I wonder if maybe it fried a trace on the mobo when the psu shorted?

2 hours ago, lopenator said:

I thoroughly examined the board under a scope and it looks fine. I couldn't find a burnt trace anywhere. maybe a chip is fried

She tries to stop, as you can see in your video, but can't stop. To me it looks like there's something shorted on the circuit board and that's why it's going out. I would roughly check the CPU and GPU for short circuits (multimeter). The power supply works in another console, have you tested that?

1 hour ago, ChriZz said:

She tries to stop, as you can see in your video, but can't stop. To me it looks like there's something shorted on the circuit board and that's why it's going out. I would roughly check the CPU and GPU for short circuits (multimeter). The power supply works in another console, have you tested that?

yeah the PSU works in another console. I will check for shorts over the board. It was working before this happened but maybe a solder ball moves around or something you know? I'll update 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, lopenator said:

nope. I see them on digikey but I'm not sure which is the correct one so 🤷‍♂️

That sucks. Is the picture with the red cap component the piece you’re looking for? I was thinking it was but wanted to make sure. If so I’ll look around as well. I’ll also check and see if I have any 1.0/1.1 parts PSUs around.