OGXbox.com

hardmodded og xbox can't get into hexen UI with a unpartitioned hdd

knat333

i have a hardmodded og xbox made in 2005 with a upgraded 120g hdd. the hdd is worn down recently and disk error ocuur from time to time. so i want to replace the hdd. i purchased a 120g IDE hdd made in 2000s, but it has never been used. i disconnet the old hdd and connect the new one to my console, drop the hexen 2018 disc into dvd drive, power on the console. it is supposed the hexen will detect the unpartitioned hdd and display something like this

image.thumb.png.44e7e0516a0e149af1d944e229ee8715.png

but actually, the screen is stuck at this:

image.png.d9b5673d535859c54bf21c178785dc42.png

if i replace this new hdd with the old ones(both the original 8G HDD or the 120G HDD which i have used many years), the hexen UI can appear within 30 seconds, so it is unlikely that the hexen dvd is problematic. So what may be the cause of the stuck scrren when connected with the new HDD?

2 hours ago, knat333 said:

i have a hardmodded og xbox made in 2005 with a upgraded 120g hdd. the hdd is worn down recently and disk error ocuur from time to time. so i want to replace the hdd. i purchased a 120g IDE hdd made in 2000s, but it has never been used. i disconnet the old hdd and connect the new one to my console, drop the hexen 2018 disc into dvd drive, power on the console. it is supposed the hexen will detect the unpartitioned hdd and display something like this

image.thumb.png.44e7e0516a0e149af1d944e229ee8715.png

but actually, the screen is stuck at this:

image.png.d9b5673d535859c54bf21c178785dc42.png

if i replace this new hdd with the old ones(both the original 8G HDD or the 120G HDD which i have used many years), the hexen UI can appear within 30 seconds, so it is unlikely that the hexen dvd is problematic. So what may be the cause of the stuck scrren when connected with the new HDD?

What type of HDD is the new one? If it is SATA, what are you using for the SATA to IDE adapter? Startech? Cheap green adapter?... If it's cheap green, does it have a master/slave jumper? If not, then your DVD drive will not work and the bios may freeze if it has nothing to load.

1 minute ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Not to state the obvious but is the hdd jumper on the new drive you are trying set to Master?

It shouldn't need to be if it's an IDE drive. I would assume he is using the stock cable, which would necessitate that he use Cable Select, technically, although both would function identically. If slave is selected, it could cause a problem like this. Although I've honestly seen all positions work, at one point.

13 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

It shouldn't need to be if it's an IDE drive. I would assume he is using the stock cable, which would necessitate that he use Cable Select, technically, although both would function identically. If slave is selected, it could cause a problem like this. Although I've honestly seen all positions work, at one point.

Since it’s ide though it definitely needs to be set. The dvd is already Slave so the hdd needs to be Master. You’re right in that  CS should work but I’ve seen some Xbox hdds get bitchy about that and want the Master setting. If I was him I’d definitely check and just set it to master anyway to be sure. That’s just me though. 

6 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Since it’s ide though it definitely needs to be set. The dvd is already Slave so the hdd needs to be Master. You’re right in that  CS should work but I’ve seen some Xbox hdds get bitchy about that and want the Master setting. If I was him I’d definitely check and just set it to master anyway to be sure. That’s just me though. 

The cable should assign priority based on the connector position, since that is what CS is designed for. If it's the stock cable, CS should work fine. That position on the cable (the end) should be the master position, which is what CS would allow for. 

You sure you didn't change anything else when CS was trippin? :) Aftermarket cables (the 80 wires) will not allow CS to work properly, and in that case the priority would have to be set manually to master.

I guess testing Master manually couldn't hurt, but should technically be pointless.

3 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

The cable should assign priority based on the connector position, since that is what CS is designed for. If it's the stock cable, CS should work fine. That position on the cable (the end) should be the master position, which is what CS would allow for. 

You sure you didn't change anything else when CS was trippin? :) Aftermarket cables (the 80 wires) will not allow CS to work properly, and in that case the priority would have to be set manually to master.

I guess testing Master manually couldn't hurt, but should technically be pointless.

No it was with stock cables. They just didn’t like it. Lol. It was different hdds from other Xboxes (obviously with eeproms switched and all). It didn’t happen a lot but some complained. I personally just don’t like using CS when I know the order anyway. It puts a lot of trust in a cable (oft times really old cables) to properly make that determination. Why chance it when you can just set it manually. :) That’s probably just a leftover from my old school computer days. Lol

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

No it was with stock cables. They just didn’t like it. Lol. It was different hdds from other Xboxes (obviously with eeproms switched and all). It didn’t happen a lot but some complained. I personally just don’t like using CS when I know the order anyway. It puts a lot of trust in a cable (oft times really old cables) to properly make that determination. Why chance it when you can just set it manually. :) That’s probably just a leftover from my old school computer days. Lol

Fair point. If you CAN do it, then why NOT do it?

5 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

@knat333 I didn't see that he had bought another IDE drive. I agree. I would try a modern SATA drive instead.

yes, i bought a new IDE HDD this week, produced almost 20 years ago, but it has never been unpacked and powered on until i got it this week, so although it is produced long ago, it's new

4 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Not to state the obvious but is the hdd jumper on the new drive you are trying set to Master?

i tried 3 jump modes: both master and slave lead to 09 error. cs mode lead to the stuck screen shown in my initial post. it's worth noting that at he bottom of the stuck screen, there is a white 'linux' logo, so the hexen is already running. the problem is the supposed message shown in figure 1 didn't appear, the screen stuck as figure 2

46 minutes ago, knat333 said:

i tried 3 jump modes: both master and slave lead to 09 error. cs mode lead to the stuck screen shown in my initial post. it's worth noting that at he bottom of the stuck screen, there is a white 'linux' logo, so the hexen is already running. the problem is the supposed message shown in figure 1 didn't appear, the screen stuck as figure 2

Wow error 9. Don’t see that very often. Check the connecting pins on that hdds ide port and see if maybe there is something bent or something down in it bridging a few pins. 

26 minutes ago, FrostyMaGee said:

Wow error 9. Don’t see that very often. Check the connecting pins on that hdds ide port and see if maybe there is something bent or something down in it bridging a few pins. 

just checked the pins, all straight. moreover, error 9 happens only in master and slave modes. if i choose cs mode, there will be no error 9 but a stuck screen instead. so it is unlikely the pins are problematic.

2 options. 

1: Connect the HDD to your PC and set her up with FatXplorer 3.0.

2: Download Slayers Installer and see if the HDD will show up on your XBox then. Jumper the HDD to CS for that. If the HDD didn't show up the drive is probably faulty.  You could then confirm that by trying to set up the HDD using Slayers.  If the C:\ free E:\ free .... not not change, it's 99% for sure the drive is dead.

EDIT ; And make sure it's Slayers 2.7 at MAX. Any later one is using a BFM bios and point 2 will not wörk,

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny