OGXbox.com

1.6 Xbox with Xecuter 3 works fine one day but won't power on the next.

ea2000

This Xbox had one issue of being placed in a different case and shorting. I replaced the faulty 2T transistor and all was working. Voltages were normal on all rails. I then was getting glitchy video on composite cable so I changed the large caps on the board and the video issue went away. It powered on and work fine all day. Even would power cycle multiple times without issue and run stable with any game I threw at it or just stay running for hours. The next day it would not power on at all. I changed the two large output caps on the PSU and reseated the modchip and it booted and ran perfectly so I played Doom3 for a few hours without issue. Shutdown normally. Next day it would not power on again.

36 minutes ago, ea2000 said:

This Xbox had one issue of being placed in a different case and shorting. I replaced the faulty 2T transistor and all was working. Voltages were normal on all rails. I then was getting glitchy video on composite cable so I changed the large caps on the board and the video issue went away. It powered on and work fine all day. Even would power cycle multiple times without issue and run stable with any game I threw at it or just stay running for hours. The next day it would not power on at all. I changed the two large output caps on the PSU and reseated the modchip and it booted and ran perfectly so I played Doom3 for a few hours without issue. Shutdown normally. Next day it would not power on again.

That's the kind of thing that would drive me up a wall and make my balls hurt, diagnostically.

1 hour ago, ea2000 said:

I’ve just run in to this as well though mine doesn’t have the mod and I didn’t have the case and shorting issue. Worked fine for a week since I had it. Ran flawlessly for about 6 hours on the last day. Temps all normal. I’d already cleaned it up, replaced thermal paste, fixed the dvd, and upgraded the hdd and cable the previous week as I’ve done many times before. Shut it down normally to go run some errands. Came home and it won’t power on. All the caps looked fine. Swapped out the psu with a known working psu from another 1.6 and still nothing. Replaced cable coming from power buttons with a known good and still nothing. Replaced all mobo power caps with quality replacements and replaced the oft times problem collector next to the clock cap. Still nothing. Voltage and continuance are present and correct. I can’t find anything that’s keeping it from powering on yet something is and it has me stumped as well. 

Edited by FrostyMaGee

5 hours ago, FrostyMaGee said:

I’ve just run in to this as well though mine doesn’t have the mod and I didn’t have the case and shorting issue. Worked fine for a week since I had it. Ran flawlessly for about 6 hours on the last day. Temps all normal. I’d already cleaned it up, replaced thermal paste, fixed the dvd, and upgraded the hdd and cable the previous week as I’ve done many times before. Shut it down normally to go run some errands. Came home and it won’t power on. All the caps looked fine. Swapped out the psu with a known working psu from another 1.6 and still nothing. Replaced cable coming from power buttons with a known good and still nothing. Replaced all mobo power caps with quality replacements and replaced the oft times problem collector next to the clock cap. Still nothing. Voltage and continuance are present and correct. I can’t find anything that’s keeping it from powering on yet something is and it has me stumped as well. 

I've come across a few like that. A 1.6 that I tested the coax SPDIF with did that. Will not turn on for no reason I can see.

So today I tried to power on the console. I did not open or make any changes to it. It tried to boot for 1/2 a second with the X3 enabled (blue light). Fans started but no video and it shut down. It did not FRAG. I tried again, fast power button press (blue X3 light) same 1/2 second and off. I tried again but this time long press to disable the X3 (red light) and it booted into the stock dash. I waited a few minutes and shut it off normally. Pressed the power button and... NOTHING. Completely dead again.

Edited by ea2000
  • Sad 1

I think I may have found the issue. It appears to be the PSU. When I plug the PSU in to mains (220V) and read the Standby voltage on the motherboard (orange wires) it fluctuates up and down between 4.19v - 4.67v, too low for the console to wake up. If I press the power button the Standby voltage drops to 3.82v for an instant than goes back to fluctuating. If I unplug the PSU from the motherboard the Standby voltage measures 5.2v. 
I suspected a component on the PSU needs a little more time to "warm up" so I unplugged the PSU from the motherboard (and HDD) but left it plugged into mains for a few hours. Then I measured the Standby voltage while still on mains but not plugged into the console and it had dopped to 4.7v. I plugged the PSU back into the motherboard and the Standby voltage was now locked at 5.00v, no more fluctuations. Sure enough the console booted and is running normally.
What component on the PSU could be causing this behaviour? 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ea2000 said:

I think I may have found the issue. It appears to be the PSU. When I plug the PSU in to mains (220V) and read the Standby voltage on the motherboard (orange wires) it fluctuates up and down between 4.19v - 4.67v, too low for the console to wake up. If I press the power button the Standby voltage drops to 3.82v for an instant than goes back to fluctuating. If I unplug the PSU from the motherboard the Standby voltage measures 5.2v. 
I suspected a component on the PSU needs a little more time to "warm up" so I unplugged the PSU from the motherboard (and HDD) but left it plugged into mains for a few hours. Then I measured the Standby voltage while still on mains but not plugged into the console and it had dopped to 4.7v. I plugged the PSU back into the motherboard and the Standby voltage was now locked at 5.00v, no more fluctuations. Sure enough the console booted and is running normally.
What component on the PSU could be causing this behaviour? 

YUS!!!!