OGXbox.com

2nd Successful 128MB RAM Upgrade

Bowlsnapper

PXL-20231004-091836053.jpg

PXL-20231004-091603299.jpg

PXL-20231004-081847656.jpg

The microscope is a total game changer. It's nice to be using brand new, unused RAM chips instead of having to question the chips I'm using. I think I'm confident enough now to perform this mod on all the boxes that now pass through my possession. Need to sell them though... Hopefully Facebook Marketplace can help me there!

• Like 3

Just now, lopenator said:

I use the upgrade on my 1.6 happily

I just mean if I have 10 Consoles around me that I'm trying to sell, it would be senseless to do it on a 1.6. However I do have 2 1.6 consoles I need to work on and sell, so I might as well start on that, since I want to make ALL my projects worth as much as possible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Now I need to work on the 1.6 RAM upgrade! THAT will be an interesting challenge... It's pointless to use a 1.6 for the upgrade, but It may help improve my skills.

I just finished one and it was a pita = 1.6 with hynix ram chips stock.  I used Samsung ram chips on top and after bending ram legs the pins barely reach making it tougher.  I had to use my microscope while holding the board at an angle to really get in there and check each pin with tweezers (Multimeter can give you a false positive as your applying pressure on the legs).  Samsung on samsung is easier on 1.6s and I highly recommend that route.  Congrats on your 128MB's.

Edited by Donnie-Burger
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Now I need to work on the 1.6 RAM upgrade! THAT will be an interesting challenge... It's pointless to use a 1.6 for the upgrade, but It may help improve my skills.

For the skill? Hmmm. Yeah, you can do that. 

Wanna little challange? Get your self one of the HD44780 lcd displays and make it fir for a frontpanel. With your scope and your 0.6 tip it should not be a problem anymore. ;)

9 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

For the skill? Hmmm. Yeah, you can do that. 

Wanna little challange? Get your self one of the HD44780 lcd displays and make it fir for a frontpanel. With your scope and your 0.6 tip it should not be a problem anymore. ;)

Lol. A Dremel tool too, I think, for making the hole in the panel? I wanted to try an LED screen, but I think it has very limited compatibility with chips and only works with a variation of the openXenium.

Well, there are many ways to make it work. TSOP and use an AladdinLCD or just a simple LC4032lv. Or XBLast-Lite, Xeno, OX (With Spi2Par) which have the option for it do drive the panel right away. 

But overall, I meant it as a "challange" to make one just for the sake of it and not to sell them in the first place even if you could if you become good at it. 

And just to show of some quality görman engineering :D I attached a lille picture of a LCD driver board made by PJ (aka Xetoxic). 

Anyway, You have an XBlast-Lite so just make one for your own to begin with. ;)

e1a932ef-73cb-4f4e-957b-d8b6af558160.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Well, there are many ways to make it work. TSOP and use an AladdinLCD or just a simple LC4032lv. Or XBLast-Lite, Xeno, OX (With Spi2Par) which have the option for it do drive the panel right away. 

But overall, I meant it as a "challange" to make one just for the sake of it and not to sell them in the first place even if you could if you become good at it. 

And just to show of some quality görman engineering :D I attached a lille picture of a LCD driver board made by PJ (aka Xetoxic). 

Anyway, You have an XBlast-Lite so just make one for your own to begin with. ;)

e1a932ef-73cb-4f4e-957b-d8b6af558160.jpg

Oh my god. I am so daunted by trying something like this with no experience... I would have to have my hand held, practically. Since I do have the lite, I can just hook it up directly, although... It appeas the wires would have to be soldered directly to the chip, unless I can solder a header/jack to the chip, maybe?

Come one.... You soldered RAM chips and to make a display is not realy that hard. My first one was "Either I fuck this up or it wörks" ninja style. :D Not so much because of the top side, you can see where you have to cut (so that you don't have to rebuild all the small traces). No more or less because of the bottom side because there isn't any info out there if you just can cut it of. It tuned out that you just can cut it off to keep controller ports 3+4. So the only challange is to solder to the vias and rebuild the soldering points which you can create out of the part you have cut off. (See here: https://imgur.com/a/vlz3EAW )

And you can simply solder a 90° header to the XBlast-Lite (See pic) .

images.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Come one.... You soldered RAM chips and to make a display is not realy that hard. My first one was "Either I fuck this up or it wörks" ninja style. :D Not so much because of the top side, you can see where you have to cut (so that you don't have to rebuild all the small traces). No more or less because of the bottom side because there isn't any info out there if you just can cut it of. It tuned out that you just can cut it off to keep controller ports 3+4. So the only challange is to solder to the vias and rebuild the soldering points which you can create out of the part you have cut off. (See here: https://imgur.com/a/vlz3EAW )

And you can simply solder a 90° header to the XBlast-Lite (See pic) .

images.jpg

Lets get it done :) I need some help, but I know I can do it. What are the full materials I need, if you could be so kind, Mr. Destiny?

24 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

What are the full materials I need,

Coffee. More coffee and a cute doggy. (Get rid of that cat, they are evil). 

4real, nothing realy. Some wire (I use the awg30 which I have on hand but you can also use some smaller (awg 32/34 emerald wire if prefere). Some expoxy to glue the cut off back to the main PCB and secure the wires 4 ever.  Some sandpaper and a cutting disc for your drehmel. Some tape so you know where you have to cut. And ofc a display to begin with. :D 

And the only thing you realy need to take care of is that you cut above the traces on top otherwise you need to rebuild these which is 100% avoidable. On the bottom just cut under the vias. Thats it basicly. AND count your fingers before you start. The amount should be the same before and after. 

• Thanks 1