OGXbox.com

Error 6 after relocking drive with correct key?

Xxdatboi2008xX

I was trying to softmod my xbox by unlocking it using PiPROM and after many attempts I was successful. After I was done checking the drive, I locked the drive again with the same eeprom.bin, then plugged the drive back into the xbox and power cycled the console. I power cylcled the xbox and i get error 6. is there possibly ANY way i could get this drive working again with this xbox?

7 hours ago, Xxdatboi2008xX said:

I was trying to softmod my xbox by unlocking it using PiPROM and after many attempts I was successful. After I was done checking the drive, I locked the drive again with the same eeprom.bin, then plugged the drive back into the xbox and power cycled the console. I power cylcled the xbox and i get error 6. is there possibly ANY way i could get this drive working again with this xbox?

I've had that happen before. I think it's due to a failing HDD, like chipset-wise. I end up chucking them and just using aftermarket. Usually I can salvage the data with either ftp (depending on the drive state) or fatxplorer though, they're only partially non-working when trying things like locking or unlocking.

12 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I've had that happen before. I think it's due to a failing HDD, like chipset-wise. I end up chucking them and just using aftermarket. Usually I can salvage the data with either ftp (depending on the drive state) or fatxplorer though, they're only partially non-working when trying things like locking or unlocking.

so no hope for the og drive? my plan was to just get it back to normal, repair all the partitions, then wait and do the save game exploit.

Yes it is a stock seagate drive

I should say that I don't posess lots of EEROM knowledge, or softmodding for that matter, so my advice would revolve around basically getting your console a bit further along in the process, if that's something you wanted.

What were you planning to do with the console once it's softmodded and with a stock HDD? Were you planning to run homebrew, just very SMALL homebrew maybe? 😛

9 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I should say that I don't posess lots of EEROM knowledge, or softmodding for that matter, so my advice would revolve around basically getting your console a bit further along in the process, if that's something you wanted.

What were you planning to do with the console once it's softmodded and with a stock HDD? Were you planning to run homebrew, just very SMALL homebrew maybe? 😛

I wanted to run insignia specifically. But i would probobly find use of the softmod later down the line

I wanted to run insignia specifically. But i would probobly find use of the softmod later down the line

Honestly, I would just get a 2tb drive and upgrade the HDD. I am going to create an image of my HDD and it has everything on it you could possibly need. You will have to delete XBL data and set up insignia after, but you won't want for anything and I'll make the image available to you and everybody else. It's based on the origins image. Are you opposed in any way to upgrading the HDD?

Your best bet if you're not going to flash the tsop is to just null out the hdd key with all 0's or all 1's in the eeprom and then write the nulled eeprom back to the Xbox.  Makes it much easier to ensure you have the right key that way.

Edit:  You'll also want to dump the eeprom.bin file a couple of times too and compare them to ensure you have a proper dump.  Once you've confirmed that the hdd keys match you're pretty safe to write the eeprom.bin back once nulled.

Edited by Fringle

1 hour ago, Fringle said:

Your best bet if you're not going to flash the tsop is to just null out the hdd key with all 0's or all 1's in the eeprom and then write the nulled eeprom back to the Xbox.  Makes it much easier to ensure you have the right key that way.

Edit:  You'll also want to dump the eeprom.bin file a couple of times too and compare them to ensure you have a proper dump.  Once you've confirmed that the hdd keys match you're pretty safe to write the eeprom.bin back once nulled.

Okay I'm unfamiliar with this. If you null the key on the Xbox side, does it make pretty much any locked drive usable?

2 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Okay I'm unfamiliar with this. If you null the key on the Xbox side, does it make pretty much any locked drive usable?

Essentially, as you can lock a drive with 16 0's or 16 1's or any 16 digit number/letter combo for that matter as long as you remember what you made the password you can lock any drive for that Xbox. 

EDIT:  You would need to first unlock a locked hard drive with it's proper password/eeprom.bin and relock it with the new key.

Edited by Fringle

12 minutes ago, Fringle said:

Essentially, as you can lock a drive with 16 0's or 16 1's or any 16 digit number/letter combo for that matter as long as you remember what you made the password you can lock any drive for that Xbox. 

EDIT:  You would need to first unlock a locked hard drive with it's proper password/eeprom.bin and relock it with the new key.

Ok I'm following, so what would be the preferred tool to manage drive locking and unlocking with keys?

30 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Ok I'm following, so what would be the preferred tool to manage drive locking and unlocking with keys?

First you'd need to dump the eeprom.bin from the Xbox.  Edit it with an eeprom editor of your choice(XboxEepromEditor works well enough) and either fill the key with 0's or 1's then write the edited eeprom.bin file back to the Xbox.  After that you can lock any drive you wish with what ever software supports locking drives with a null key such as FatXplorer.  It also has the option of setting a master password just in case you forget the key. 

Edited by Fringle
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Fringle said:

First you'd need to dump the eeprom.bin from the Xbox.  Edit it with an eeprom editor of your choice(XboxEepromEditor works well enough) and either fill the key with 0's or 1's then write the edited eeprom.bin file back to the Xbox.  After that you can lock any drive you wish with what ever software supports locking drives with a null key such as FatXplorer.  It also has the option of setting a master password just in case you forget the key. 

I didn't even know FATxplorer had that option. Thank you and now I and the OP know.

10 hours ago, Xxdatboi2008xX said:

I'm missing some information here. Which tool did you use to unlock the drive? Is it XboxHDM? In that case, try to lock it again (without trying to unlock). When you use the eeprom.bin that would work. Sometimes the first time it says it has locked the disk, but it didn`t. I've seen it a few times.

Also a warning sign is that it costs you many attempts to get the eeprom.bin. Normally it would be successful after 1 or 2 tries, not many. That made me wonder how good the eeprom realy is. You can check it with the XboxEepromEditor (https://github.com/Ernegien/XboxEepromEditor)

3 minutes ago, UltimateMe said:

I'm missing some information here. Which tool did you use to unlock the drive? Is it XboxHDM? In that case, try to lock it again (without trying to unlock). When you use the eeprom.bin that would work. Sometimes the first time it says it has locked the disk, but it didn`t. I've seen it a few times.

Also a warning sign is that it costs you many attempts to get the eeprom.bin. Normally it would be successful after 1 or 2 tries, not many. That made me wonder how good the eeprom realy is. You can check it with the XboxEepromEditor (https://github.com/Ernegien/XboxEepromEditor)

This info may help me since I have 2 HDDs that are floating due to dead motherboards. I may be able to salvage them... for what purpose I have no idea, but at least they wouldn't be trash. lol.

This is all great Info! As im probably never gonna get the stock drive working again im interested in a replacement drive. Is there any specific one I should get or should any IDE drive work?

Also, I have checked my eeprom.bin with the xboxeepromchecker and it seems valid. Im getting the same key that i unlocked the drive with. I get that taking multiple tries to unlock should have been a big warning and I should have realized but in the moment i was a bit to excited to have finally unlocked it. 

15 hours ago, UltimateMe said:

When trying to lock the drive or unlock the drive (w/disable lock) in xboxHDM23usb beta 4 it gives me error 121

it even gave me that a few times before it finally unlocked