OGXbox.com

Rocky5 softmod SSD issue - black screen & no dashboard until eject button press

SoftMachine

I've been having this same issue with several SSDs on this v1.6 but not with any HDD I've tried. When I boot the Xbox, the Microsoft logo appears and then it black screens until I press the eject button, then it will load the dashboard. I can tell the dashboard isn't loading at all until eject is pressed since the front LEDs don't change color (they're set to orange). I've tested with 2 SSDs of different models (both from TeamGroup), 2 Startech adapters, and 2 UATA cables with the same results.

The console boots fine with video when I start it up with just a stock dashboard on the C partition.

Things I've tried to resolve this:

- Starting with a stock dashboard on C, copying Rocky5's XBHDM installer on there, and softmodding that way (black screens on first boot without even installing the softmod)

- Directly copying the C and E partitions from a working softmodded HDD 

- Using the Phoenix BIOS Loader and Cerbios

- Switching video mode between normal, widescreen, letterbox

- Disabling 480p/720p/1080i

- Switching video region between PAL and NTSC

- Using both component and composite cables

- Using several different disc drives

I'm running out of ideas, this issue seems pretty weird to me since the same files work on an HDD and the SSD loads a dashboard just fine after the eject/soft-reboot. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Update: I also tried with a Crucial SSD and the issue still happened, but then I swapped the Startech adapter to one of those generic green ones and the issue has gone away with all 3 drives. Something about locking an SSD and using a Marvel adapter seems to cause this issue, not sure why.

green adapters supports ATA100 or above this is why stock cable doesn't work. startech supports multiple speeds, so try original xbox PATA cable.

Could be damaged pata cable. You dont mix softmod and  hardmod.

So you have hardmod.

You boot a CD that could format HDD. You format it to stock with extended partitions.

After that, you check if xbox boot to stock to begin with.

Then you install custom dashboard to predefined folder path that exist in bios image or (for cerbios bios) config file - you have to create.