OGXbox.com

Some of my xbox games are stuck at loading screen.

I bought this modded big boi in 2005,here is the problem,in original Fable The Lost Chapter if i try to load save state my game will just freeze which will  force me to restart xbox,game runs fine without loading save states,saving is also okay.

Same problem occured in Call of Duty:Finest Hour,loading next map will almost always led to freeze,after restarting xbox map loads fine.

Worst problem was in Kotor 1,xbox would just refuse to continue gaming after cutscene in the the Star Forge.

I have EvoX if that matters.

We don't know anything about the mods done to this console. If it was done in 2005, then I would agree that it's due for a HDD upgrade. I just looked at IDE prices and they're retarded. They seem to have fallen victim to the "Retro Tax" and people are charging out the ass for them. 

SylverRez does have a point: Upgrading your HDD is a good idea, as long you're willing to spend the money without knowing whether it will actually fix the problem. However, the fact remains: Your HDD is HELLA old. I would replace it with a new SATA. Might as well replace the clock cap, too, if it's not a 1.6. There is an 80 wire on Amazon that everybody is using for their Xboxes. It's what I have in my X3 box.

https://www.amazon.com/40-Pin-80-Wire-2-Drive-Ribbon-Manhattan/dp/B003IDF0JC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2V0H2SA6W6XJ6&keywords=80+wire+ide&qid=1688374234&sprefix=80wire+ide%2Caps%2C285&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Drive-Optical-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00EOJNGC2/ref=asc_df_B00EOJNGC2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309743296044&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13024841924494712764&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031634&hvtargid=pla-438319383506&psc=1

Do you have any details other than the Dashboard that's being used? 

^ Rubbish.

80% of my Xboxes' HDDs are still IDE, mostly 120GB and 160GB  but one 320GB. A lot of the 160GB are ones previously used in PVRs so not genuinely new either. I've not had an IDE HDD failure yet and some have been in fairly regular use for over 12 years. I even had a stock IDE HDD in one machine which was working perfectly for over 12 years (2003 - 2016) before I replaced it with a bigger one.

SATA or IDE it depends how much use and abuse they have had not their age.

I'd also point out that IDE HDDs (7200rpm) often boot faster than SATA ones because the bottleneck is the SATA > IDE adapter and that applies to both HDDs and SSDs.

However from the description given I would replace the HDD although I'm not convinced the problem is entirely down to the HDD. It sounds as if a cache and/or temporary file issue could be the part of the problem. I'm wondering whether the trouble might be fixed by deleting the content of X, Y and Z drives and E:\CACHE before booting the games in question.

To do that I think you have a clear CACHE option with HeXEn and maybe some other modding tools packages you can install. But the easiest way is with the UnleashX dash (using its File Explorer) which can be installed and run as an app if the OP is wedded to the EvoX dash.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HDShadow said:

^ Rubbish.

80% of my Xboxes' HDDs are still IDE, mostly 120GB and 160GB  but one 320GB. A lot of the 160GB are ones previously used in PVRs so not genuinely new either. I've not had an IDE HDD failure yet and some have been in fairly regular use for over 12 years. I even had a stock IDE HDD in one machine which was working perfectly for over 12 years (2003 - 2016) before I replaced it with a bigger one.

SATA or IDE it depends how much use and abuse they have had not their age.

I'd also point out that IDE HDDs (7200rpm) often boot faster than SATA ones because the bottleneck is the SATA > IDE adapter and that applies to both HDDs and SSDs.

However from the description given I would replace the HDD although I'm not convinced the problem is entirely down to the HDD. It sounds as if a cache and/or temporary file issue could be the part of the problem. I'm wondering whether the trouble might be fixed by deleting the content of X, Y and Z drives and E:\CACHE before booting the games in question.

To do that I think you have a clear CACHE option with HeXEn and maybe some other modding tools packages you can install. But the easiest way is with the UnleashX dash (using its File Explorer) which can be installed and run as an app if the OP is wedded to the EvoX dash.

Lol, I'm not saying his drive IS dying. I'm saying it MAY be dying and it couldn't hurt to try to move stuff over and avoid fucking off his whole setup. It could be a few things and a few methods may help, but I would say a new HDD would be helpful first. I don't think that's "rubbish" advice.

I haven't had many IDE drives fail yet... But there have been a FEW...

In all my years, it's NEVER been the cache... EVER. Yet you admit it MAY be the HDD. Well wtf? THAT'S MY POINT. LOL. 

Let us try to help this guy...

On 7/4/2023 at 9:05 AM, Bowlsnapper said:

Maybe, but our drives don't corrupt the way they do in PCs.

@boynextdoor Buy Conker for a few bucks and then rip it. Try it off the HDD afterward. :)

I already finished Conker 10 years ago,very nice game :)

Thank you all for responses,i forgot to write that this issue with some games being stuck at loading screen was already a problem in 2005 but i just lived with it.(restarting usually allowed me to progress in game)

Maybe i just bought a shady modded xbox heh.

Beside that i think Xbox is in pretty good shape,even DVD is still working.

Oh and it doesnt matter if i play Fable LC from DVD or HDD,loading save state will always led to freeze after playing for 30-60 minutes.

I know some ISOs are faulty but even original Fable LC has this problem which is interesting.

I have version 1.6

Its like,something in Xbox just refuses to load next level/saved game after playing for a while.

Edited by boynextdoor

5 hours ago, boynextdoor said:

I already finished Conker 10 years ago,very nice game :)

Thank you all for responses,i forgot to write that this issue with some games being stuck at loading screen was already a problem in 2005 but i just lived with it.(restarting usually allowed me to progress in game)

Maybe i just bought a shady modded xbox heh.

Beside that i think Xbox is in pretty good shape,even DVD is still working.

Oh and it doesnt matter if i play Fable LC from DVD or HDD,loading save state will always led to freeze after playing for 30-60 minutes.

I know some ISOs are faulty but even original Fable LC has this problem which is interesting.

I have version 1.6

Its like,something in Xbox just refuses to load next level/saved game after playing for a while.

Save state? I WISH the Xbox natively supported save states!

I thought you had just recently bought this. But at any rate, It does sound like you need a new hard drive. So I would try one and see how it works out for you. Move the files over with fatxplorer.

• 1 month later...

So i finaly decided to install new hard drive aaaaaand... IT DID NOTHING, at least i have  more space on drive i guess and... longer boot time lmao.

Xemu gets better everyday so i dont care that much, unless there is more i can do, is it worth to replace thermal paste? motherboard and cpu are mostly at 50C,gpu 30C idle, so pretty normal i think?

Edited by boynextdoor

44 minutes ago, boynextdoor said:

So i finaly decided to install new hard drive aaaaaand... IT DID NOTHING, at least i have  more space on drive i guess and... longer boot time lmao.

Xemu gets better everyday so i dont care that much, unless there is more i can do, is it worth to replace thermal paste? motherboard and cpu are mostly at 50C,gpu 30C idle, so pretty normal i think?

I think so, yeah.

I'm now experiencing a problem with an old 160GB IDE drive where the 720p version of Halo CE isn't caching files right and crashes once or twice while doing so. THEN it will cache the levels fully and run them. I'm worried... It's my personal Halo Edition. If it can't even run HALO properly... lol

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I think so, yeah.

I'm now experiencing a problem with an old 160GB IDE drive where the 720p version of Halo CE isn't caching files right and crashes once or twice while doing so. THEN it will cache the levels fully and run them. I'm worried... It's my personal Halo Edition. If it can't even run HALO properly... lol

I have something simmilar in some games like Splinter Cell 1 or Farcry but i dont even play 720p, interesting thing is Morrowind,Halo and Half Life 2 never crash during loading levels.

My xbox is weird, 10% of games just refuse to work :D.

16 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

How did you get those games onto your console? 

Well i tried everything, files from HDD ready, different versions of ISOs, even Korean and Japan lmao, NTSC, PAL, everything, tried couple of options in "mulleter", also mounting ISOs from xbox with default.xbe, but Splinter Cell and couple of other games just refuses to load next level!

I tried 3 different HDDs already so its also not HDD problem.

I dont care that much about not working couple of Xbox games unless there is an unknown hidden secret to make them work :D

ah btw. i also had problem even with original version of Fable The Lost Chapters, sometimes it would freeze during Loading of save state but after restart it would run fine.

Edited by boynextdoor

38 minutes ago, boynextdoor said:

Well i tried everything, files from HDD ready, different versions of ISOs, even Korean and Japan lmao, NTSC, PAL, everything, tried couple of options in "mulleter", also mounting ISOs from xbox with default.xbe, but Splinter Cell and couple of other games just refuses to load next level!

I tried 3 different HDDs already so its also not HDD problem.

I dont care that much about not working couple of Xbox games unless there is an unknown hidden secret to make them work :D

ah btw. i also had problem even with original version of Fable The Lost Chapters, sometimes it would freeze during Loading of save state but after restart it would run fine.

It may not be a file source problem, but it could still be a HDD problem if you've tried 3 different methods of file sourcing and it still isn't loading properly. It sounds like your cache partition isn't working properly, if I were to guess. You may want to invest in a newer HDD. What kind is it, brand and interface, Sata or IDE?

3 minutes ago, boynextdoor said:

Well... i dont see Splinter Cell here ;), but i tried Redump from other source too, also didnt worked.

I think it should be under letter T ( Tom Clancy)

Yeah, its the same thing.

Try a new HDD. That's my strong recommendation. I think your xbox cannot cache properly with the HDD it has.

OP has stated that they've already tried 3 hdds. We really should stop jumping to get a new hdd for every problem. Often times it's a simple fix of something small that has been overlooked. And for the love of everything, can we also stop telling everyone to buy an ssd? The xbox just isn't built to utilize ssds to their full potential. This has been proven time and time again. 

Additional info: I'm wondering if there might be a nulled key issue. I do know that you need to resign game saves after this has been done. Otherwise it can cause issues that the OP is experiencing.

Edited by MadMartigan
Added on